Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Snotty noses on snotty goats

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
cariboujaguar

Default Snotty noses on snotty goats

Some of my brats have come down with 'colds' so once again we start a round of "I was told..." So here goes... I was told that any amt. of discharge, unless clear, means my goats have pneumonia. Is this true? I have penn and biomycin coming today (I also have Terramycin-343® Soluble Powder in my cabinet now) Should I start anyone with symptoms on a round of Penn, Bio... should I treat their water... should I let them be? What is or isn't safe for pregger does? 1 of them a week over due...

It's one buck, one nigi and 3 nubians with snotty noses, yellow to green mixed with clear and they are coughing so it must be in the lungs too... they have awesome sheltars, they arn't exposed to the elements at all, so I'm not sure how they got it... what can I do to avoid this next year? What did I do wrong to let them get sick?
Thanks!

Ashley
Washington
Purebred registered Nubians and now Saanens!
http://www.wix.com/larkkacres/Larkk-Acres

Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Default Re: Snotty noses on snotty goats

Well naxel is my drug of choice for pneumonia second is the Biomycin so start them all today on Vit C first and the Biomycin when you get it. Could be shelters or urine soaked and it is caused by the amonia they are breathing in. If you kneel down in the straw or bedding and your knee gets wet this is your problem Closed in shelter they lay down and breath this stuff into their lungs thus pneumonia.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
cariboujaguar

It's not wet at all, beleive it or not... I lay down with my goats all the time, to cuddle, as stupid as that sounds and their bedding is clean and dry as a bone. The floor is raised with dirt, gravel and sand a good foot to 2 feet above the normal ground so water drains right under them. I have 13 goats in a 60 foot by 20 foot stall 4 bucks in a 10 foot by 15 foot stall and 3 inside goats in a quarantine 15X15 pen. All of them have an acre of pasture except the quarantined. It doesn't smell like amonia at all and it has great air circulation without being drafty... and we treat the ground with lime between cleanings to help break the manure down....
I don't have Vit C, would childrens chewables work? I could buy them some of those... How much Bio per lb, once I get it?

Ashley
Washington

Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Judys

Vaccinate for pneumonia its cheap

judy
LaManchas
Oatbucket Farm
Kansas

Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
cariboujaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiedog
Vaccinate for pneumonia its cheap
it really works I have a hard time believing that works... Why can't people be vaccinated for it? I thought it was an advanced cold? How can you vaccinate against a cold? I would LOVE more info on this, thanks!

Ashley
Washington

Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Judys

well you can't vaccinate for a cold but you can for pnuemonia then at least you don't have to worry about it being that

judy
LaManchas
Oatbucket Farm
Kansas

Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

yes alot of people use the vaccine and alot of people use the kids chewable
I give 1500 mg to start and a 1000 mg thru out the day when signs of cold /alergy etc. Probably could give more but that is what I use on myself so just use it on the goats.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
cariboujaguar

So what brand of Vaccine do you guys use? It gurantee's they do NOT have pnuemonia? Is it 100% or is it uncertain or what? I JUST sent my Jeffer's order! ARGH! It never ends does it? You always need SOMETHING! LOL

Ashley
Washington

Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
mill-valley

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The vaccine is for pasteurella...one of the many things that can cause pneumonia. It may help but like the flu vaccine, it will not entirely eliminate pneumonia. Worth a try in this situation IMO. Jeffer's has one in the sheep and goat section, can't remember the brand but it's licensed for goats. Link to vaccine at Jeffer's

And for what it's worth...believe it needs to be kept in the fridge so they would've shipped it seperately anyway.

Beth Remijn
Mill-Valley Farm
ADGA Registered Alpine and Saanen Dairy Goats
www.freewebs.com/mill-valley

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Goats don't catch colds.

I treat runny noses with vitamin C, Just buy the big jug from wallmart and crush them in my blender, giving each a teaspoon or so on the milkstand, or sprinkled over their feed, some will eat it in pill form. Bo-se and see what the underlying cause of the pnemonia is.

If they are running a temp I will start them on Naxcel and banamine, no matter what if you are going to treat with biomycin you need the banamine from the vet anyway, it stops the build up of scar tissue in the lung.

Any 200 mg tetracycline, biomycin etc. is 3.5 cc per 100 pounds given once a day for 5 days or 24 hours after the last symptoms dissappear. In cases of fever you can move to every 12 hour shots, and you want to give all OTC shots subq.

If you aren't selling or using milk you may want to also start them on feed through tetracycline, the info is in goatkeeping 101. Tim posted it for us, aueromycin.

Alot of us do vaccinate for pasturella pnemonia the main pnemonia diagnosed in goats, but it's for well animals, so you might want to think about doing this, this spring. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.