Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > She won't eat...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
petey

Send a message via MSN to petey Send a message via Yahoo to petey
Default She won't eat...

3 year old Nubian doe, had triplets a month ago, lives out in 20 acres pasture with a handful of other goats, sheep and a couple cows...was vaccinated before kidding, wormed with valbezan when she did kid... gets same amount of grain everyday when milking which is only once a day on one side because the kids don't keep that side nursed down enough.
Suddenly lost all appetite last nite. Stands in same place, not laying down, not eating, very listless. Does not smell like ketosis breath.
She was very hard to lead last nite, almost like she couldn't walk right, but its hard to say, she doesn't seem to have anything wrong with her legs or back...could have just been cuz she didn't feel good and didn't want to walk...
any ideas?

I gave her probios, and vit B complex, and even wormed her again, as her gums are pale.

Petey/Kim from SE Oregon
1Perfect husband, 3 Nubians, 2 Jersey cows, 21 foster calves, 4 horses, a buncha chickens, 2 Maremma pups and 1 Golden Retriever who doesn't know he was adopted.

http://forpeteysake.blogspot.com/

Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 334 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Re: She won't eat...

I would milk out both sides of her udder and make sure it's soft and the milk is fine.
Take her temp.
Check her eye membranes, in goatkeeping 101 we have the famacha chart, an anemia chart that will help you. Gums are not an indication of anything in ruminants, just single stomached animals.
Give her a good once over, trim her feet.
Did you reworm with Valbazen?

Valbazen isn't a wormer I can use for blood sucking parasites unless it is used with another wormer as a cocktail to go after resistant worms. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
petey

Her udder is fine, milk is fine. Feet are in good shape. Eyes look good. I lost yet ANOTHER thermometer in the calf pen so I can't check her temp...

Petey/Kim from SE Oregon
1Perfect husband, 3 Nubians, 2 Jersey cows, 21 foster calves, 4 horses, a buncha chickens, 2 Maremma pups and 1 Golden Retriever who doesn't know he was adopted.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
MRFBarbara

Since her gums are pale, I would do a fecal to see what you are dealing with and worm accordingly.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
NubianSoaps.com

Petey what number is she on the famacha chart?

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
petey

Vicki she's a 1 or a 2, her eye membranes look real good. She just won't eat. She's hollow in the flanks, disinterested in food, and doesn't lay down. Her bag is not hot, not lumpy, she can walk, because she walked away from the kids when they wanted to nurse. Her bag is very flaccid, so I don't know if they just nursed her dry or if she isn't making any milk today. I wondered if its acidosis or ketosis, although I have no idea WHY she would have either, but I put baking soda out for her, and gave her probios. THere is hay and cubes where she is standing but the most she did was pick a little bit at the hay. She could go out to the pasture if she wanted, but she just stays in one spot. I'm just not sure what to do to help her

Petey/Kim from SE Oregon

Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
NubianSoaps.com

No milk, no interest in food, usually goes with a low temp and milk fever. And most metobolic conditions in goats are from too much grain concentrate and not enough fiber.

You really need that temperature, low and treat her for milk fever, high and you have an infection, uterine, pnemonia, it's endless. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas

Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
petey

Thanks vicki...I will keep looking to find that dang thermometer...its a 4 hour drive to get to town so I can't go pick one up! She pooped tonite, kind of a soft mass, not pellets, so I am thinking it's her belly.
I know I have some CMPK boluses for the cow, and I think I have paste for the cow also...I'm not sure I have anything injectable...

Petey/Kim from SE Oregon

Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
Necie@Lunamojo

Liked 288 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Is she shakey at all--especially in the rear? Grinding teeth?

I would pull her grain--only feed alfalfa. Pull the kids and bottle feed and see if she's making milk. CMPK--won't hurt, might help. Banamine will help calm her gut if it's a belly issue and help with pain/inflamation if she's having any.

Denise Kocher
Lunamojo Nubians
Goat Milk Soaps
Stroh, IN
www.lunamojo.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lunamojo-Nubians-Goat-Milk-Soaps/146586875371517

Nubians

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
petey

never could find the thermometer. She doesn't get any grain, unless she's getting milked, and only then what is left from the other goat. Not shakey at all. She did grind her teeth the night night before last. Kids are separated.

I did give her some of the CMPK gel I had on hand for my Jersey and will give some banamine, as soon as I know how much to give a goat. I assume that will be a subQ injection? She is feeling a little better today, ate some alfalfa pellets and weeds, not interested in hay. She did drink well too. Thanks you guys, I sure hope she pulls out of this. I will give her more CMPK tonite.

Petey/Kim from SE Oregon