Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Self-nursing/self-sucking doe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Good Goats

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Self-nursing/self-sucking doe

So, how do you deal with a self-sucking doe? This doe kidded 2 1/2 weeks ago, and shortly after she kidded, her
udder got lopsided. I didn't think much of it, and it is still like that. Well, while me and my mom were bottling kids, my mom looked over and saw her sucking on her teat!! And it was on the side which is bigger than the other, which makes total sense.

She is giving me a great deal of milk, so I'm not all that concerned about it. I have been giving her dolomite on her feed and have offered her her milk once, but she didn't seem all to interested in it (both of those going off a long-time breeders advice). So I'm just seeing what everyone here says!

~ Suriyah
Good Goats
Family run goat dairy located in Northeast Oklahoma. We raise Nubians, Alpines, MiniNubians, Experimentals and Boer crosses.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Re: Self-nursing/self-sucking doe

When we had the dairy girls, a saanen/Lamancha nursed herself. The only thing that worked for her was wearning a bucket Ie...and elizabethean collar like you use for dogs. Expect purchasing them $$ and she would just rub them off or break them, and cradles for horses are too big, so we took the bale off a 2 gallon bucket, cut out the bottom and put it on her head. It sat on her neck she could do everything but fit on the milkstand but she could not reach around and nurse. We culled her. Never had one since but I would cull them that much quicker. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

wondering if teat tape would work. probably not as she would chew it off.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 06-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Jo~*

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do they make goat muzzles?

From extreme Northwest Calif.
LaMancha, Nubian.
JoAnn
HAPPY GOATS COME FROM CALIFORNIA

Old 06-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

We teat taped, they chew it off, and you have to remove it to milk twice a day. Muzzels will work but they can't eat with them just drink water, so no browsing all day with the herd in the woods. Anything spicy enough to keep her from nursing would also inflame the teat. Milking her in the milkroom without the milkstand was a pain as was taking off and putting back on her bucket. She would never completely dry up on the one side because she nursed all the time. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
MayLOC

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

gosh what a pain in the behind they are for sure!!

we have been dealing w/ a saanen doing this since she freshened in feb. She is a heavy milker and I think it started out to relieve herself and developed into a bad bad habit. It was terrible!

She would often see me walking out to do chores and if she hadn't sucked herself yet she would actually run to the end of her pen and lay down to suck!! I was SHOCKED!

Never tried to do anything to curb her nasty habit, for the same reason vicki stated.

And worse of all is we really needed her milk that whole time, or I would have given her the boot. Now we don't need it quite as bad, but amazingly she has all but stopped.

Now she might suck a little maybe one time a week, but not every week now and it is getting less all the time. Still not sure she gets to stay though, as I am sure it will be the same story next year.

Kassi
Sables

Milking dairy goats on a cattle ranch in
Southeastern Colorado

Old 06-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
whimmididdle

HMMMMM......I would try a dog shock collar . It would take a lot of being out there and watching for a few days.......but think if she got bit a few times for self sucking, she would loose her appetite for it.

If this were a great doe...it would be worth the try. I suspect that she might would still need a little tune up every now if this was to work on her.

Whim

Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

those elisabethian collars are not that hard to get on and off.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
stacy adams

How about a goat-bra??

Stacy Adams
Zenubi Creek Nubians
Blue Ridge, TX.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Kaye White

I've HAD two...both got new addresses! And believe me, I sure hated sending one. GCH Ex 90...but I wanted that milk in the bucket, not back in her. I tried just about everything short of tying their heads to the wall. Nothing worked. Outa' here, to a boer farm as nurse does. THAT kept them drained!
Kaye