Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Safe Thiamine dosage for long-term treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
boeredsilly

Default Safe Thiamine dosage for long-term treatment

Sorry I can't find my original thread on this matter, so I will briefly recap.

Have been treating this doe (will be a year old middle of this month) for a while now - presented with neurological S&S - walking in circles - apparent blindness - seizures - paddling - shaking her head - treated for Listriosis - goat polio - West Nile - you name it & I think we have probably done it - Got lots of great advice here & the doe is improving - Thanks for all everyone has already done - I know she never would have made it without everyone's take on the matter - no seizures in 2 days - she is a alert - eating & drinking more every day - she still has some blindness (seems to be able to see movement that is about 2 feet in front of her) - tends to still be a little weak - but calls to me when I talk to her - getting up & down easier & wanting to go out & browses a little.

I have planned to continue the thiamine & B12 complex till her body can make enough on it's own & I see no more neuro signs & she is back to her old self. However have been doing alot of reading & don't want to give her TOO much Thiamine &/or B12. She now weighs probably only about 75 pounds - She has been getting 6cc Thiamine every other day & 3cc of B12 complex in a bottle everyday (love bottle babies - mine never seem to forget & it sure is easy to give meds that way).

Any suggestions, advice, help, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Cynthia Hailey
Bayou State
Alpines, Sables, Nubians, Fainting Goats

Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
nightskyfarm
DGI_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Re: Safe Thiamine dosage for long-term treatment

They are both water soluble and I don't think you can really OD on them. The body will use what it needs and pass thee rest out.

Jennifer Downey - The farmer puts in a long day, but the cheese-maker's day is endless.

Grade A Dairy & Cheese Room. I raise Reg. Alpine, Saanen, Nubian and La Mancha dairy goats, as well as assorted poultry (chickens and Heritage turkey), peafowl, 4 equines and of course 3 children! And 2 loverly Jersey cows, Emily & Annabelle Clover due in May.

www.nightskyfarm.com
www.nightskyfarm.wordpress.com
www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&seller

Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 334 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Agreed...and if you are using the one orally and the other one every other day...I would doubt either are doing any good at this point. If you can move to every other day, and she is not crashing in between dosages, than it is likely not helping anymore. The neuro damage will only be able to improve so much...giving thiamin is usually quite dramatic, and if another dose isn't given in 6 to 12 hours than the doe is right back to the same symptoms as before. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
boeredsilly

Thanks everyone for the info. I don't have a problem with giving it everyday & will be glad to if it will be helpful. I have been told that I could make her toxic with the thiamine & I didn't want to add to her problems.

I just know that when I give the thiamine I see a dramatic change that usually lasts for about 36-48 hours. Going on what I was told I was afraid to give it every day. But with what everyone is saying here & sent to me privately, I am only cushioning the problem for a little while & then allowing it to come right back around by not dosing every day till she has that definite improvement.

I will continue on with the thiamine everyday this week & hopefully we'll keep seeing more & more improvement. Thanks again so much
for everyone's help.

Cynthia Hailey
Bayou State
Alpines, Sables, Nubians, Fainting Goats

Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
Aja-Sammati

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have never heard of OD with thiamine, that is a new one to me... Have you made any changes to her diet? I don't remember the original posts (if I read them). If you stop dosing her, does she always go backwards in 36-48 hours after the last thiamine dose? Is she not cudding well?

Michelle Heino
Aja-Sammati
Nubians, La Manchas, Recorded Grades & Experimentals in Northern California
"Right is right even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it."- William Penn

Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

According to my vet, you can't OD a goat on B vitamins. They pee out what they don't need.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades