Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Respiratory issues in goats- Vet not sure what else to do

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
thatfiel

Default Respiratory issues in goats- Vet not sure what else to do

We purchased 2 bucks in October. I noticed they had snotty noses when we brought them home but I really did not think much about it unfortunately. Then my other 4 goats got the same thing. Snotty nose, coughing, no fever. The vet has sent antibiotics (Excede two times, and Baytril 100), and I have also given wormed them 4 times (Safe-guard, Dumor goat wormer, and Ivomec plus two times). I still have 4 that continue to have snotty noses, and cough. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tara Please

Hello, my name is Tara Hatfield and I live in Temple, Ga.  I am married, have a daughter and son, an English Mastiff, a Great Dane, 2 miniature donkeys, and six Nigerian Dwarf Goats.  Starting a business making soap.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
thatfiel

Default Re: Respiratory issues in goats- Vet not sure what else to do

Sorry but I forgot to mention they have also been treated with Corid because they ended up with Coccidia, and I have given them Vitamin B Complex to help keep them strong.

Hello, my name is Tara Hatfield and I live in Temple, Ga.  I am married, have a daughter and son, an English Mastiff, a Great Dane, 2 miniature donkeys, and six Nigerian Dwarf Goats.  Starting a business making soap.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
H Diamond Farms

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

What color is the snot?

Rachel H
Sables and Boer/Dairy crosses
Southeast, CO

Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Ashley

Liked 160 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I would try some garlic. It is very broad spectrum, more than the drug antibiotics, plus it encourages the probiotics. You can either chop it up/process in the food processer and mix with a little molasses and give that to them, or get the granules and mix with water/honey etc. and give it that way. For a buck I would give a bulb 2-3 times per day or if giving granules I'd give 1 tablespoon 2-3 times a day. When you see it totally clear up, keeping giving it for another 5 days.

What are they eating? What kind of mineral do they get? Copper boluses?

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

As you have found out, treating with antibiotics does nothing for pasturella like you likely have. Their immunity is keeping it at bay or the antibiotic you gave kept it at low enough levels not to become fever, lung scarring full blow pneumonia. Without a fever, using antibiotics simply kills rumen and intestinal flora, and with nearly all their immunity in their intestines, and all of the flora to 'eat' their hay and grain comes from the rumen, using antibiotics when you don't need to, hurts the goats more than simply boosting their immunity. Bo-se, vitamin C, B vitamins etc..

Making sure that their environment is not adding to the problems, dusty hay, moldy hay, hay fed on the ground, go sit in the barn, breath the air at their nose level, does it smell like ammonia, is it hard to breath? Is your butt wet when you get up? All of this contributes to pneumonia and overgrowth of pasturella in the nose due to humidity, stress, over crowding and chemical pneumonia from our barn floors.

None of the wormers you used will help the worms that you have, that would cause the runny noses and cough...you like us in our humid south north of Houston...although I do use Ivermectin Plus this time of year for liverflukes...you wormer of choice is going to be Cydectin cattle pouron, given at 1cc per 22 pounds orally.

In goatkeeping 101 is the Famacha chart, an anemia chart, check your goats eyelids against the photos on the chart...how do your does stack up....if they have anemia than what you are dealing with is likely HC/Hamoncous Contortus/Barber pole worms.. Otherwise you are doing everything you can, warm dry bedding to snuggle down into, good feed, good hay, water, loose minerals and time. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

http://www.dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=20650.0

Please read. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
wheytogosaanens

Liked 127 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Are they eating, drinking, pooing, peeing, playing?

Then I would

a) worm with Cydectin
b) Go with the garlic as listed above (garlic is also anti-viral). Antibiotics won't affect a virus. We have also used Golden Seal, a very potent antibiotic/anti-viral, which used in conjunction with garlic enhances both.

I mention virus because last year we had a Boer doe get a snotty nose, slightly off-feed, low grade temperature (103.. Tried antibiotics - nope. Eventually got very frustrated and called a long-time goat genius/friend and she gently hinted that perhaps this was a virus. Light bulb moment. Treated as above and all cleared up. Did provide the support of B-complex and Vita C as well (which I had done before with the antibiotics that didn't work).

Camille

Camille O'Connor
Whey-to-Go Saanens
Copper Penny Boers (Home of 4 National Champions!)
Copper Penny Pyrenees

www.copper-penny-ranch.com

Taking deposits for Spring 2014 kids

Registered Show Quality Boer Breeding stock available - order early!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Aja-Sammati

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Have you done a swab and had it cultured? When you have treated more than once, you really need to make sure you are treating with the correct drug...this would tell you if you were dealing with a virus, also. Do the supportive therapy, but use you dollar wisely instead of jumping from drug to drug.

Michelle Heino
Aja-Sammati
Nubians, La Manchas, Recorded Grades & Experimentals in Northern California
"Right is right even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it."- William Penn

Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
thatfiel

Thank you for all the posts. I will definitely try the wormer and garlic. You have all been so helpful. Thanks again. Tara

Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
Nikki99

I'm a newbie to goats and to this forum so if I don't post correctly, I'm sorry in advance, and please bear with me.
I see that this thread is from several months ago but I'm just curious, how are your goats doing now? Did these suggested treatments work?
I brought home 2 wethers the mid to end of September from a breeder in Or. When we picked them up, they both had a snotty nose and a cough. She gave them an antibiotic injection and told us they'd be fine in a week or so. Well, Jester got better, he's just fine. Blitz took longer but did start to show signs of improvement, he no longer had a snotty nose and was only coughing a little. Then, our nights started cooling off and his cough came back stronger and his snotty nose was back too.
I haven't done anything for them yet, because I want to make sure what I do, is right. I had planned on giving him antibiotics but then read that if it's a virus, the antibiotics wont do any good. I don't know if this is just a little cold, nothing to worry about, or if this is something more serious.
He's eating/drinking just fine, he's active (not very playful but he's eager to go outside every morning and he loves attention so he follows me everywhere he can). His poop is normal, dark little balls, his breathing seems normal. I'm not sure if he has a fever.
He was born July 28, 2012. His shot record shows on 7/28 he was given 1/2cc Bose. 8/12 he was given 1cc CDT- 1cc Valbazen.
8/12 he was also given Eprinex and Albon. And on 9/12 he was given 1cc of CDT- 1/4cc 200+. I am not sure what some of these are and they told us he wouldn't need anything else. Does this look/sound right?

Thanks!

My name is Nikki, I live on the wet side of WA. and we have 2 baby Nigerian Dwarf wethers. We are 1st time goat owners and loving them!!