Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > questions? microscopes for fecals

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
nikita

Likes Given: 2

Default questions? microscopes for fecals

I was going to bite the bullet and try my own fecals :/ I was reading the requirements for microscope etc on the goatkeeping 101. It looked like I would need a microscope with 10x objective. When looking on Amazon, all of the microscopes start at least at 40x and go up. I am confused on what I need. Can I use one that starts at 40 or more? Thanks, need all the help I can get. any ideas or tips appreciated. Ruth

nikita  JRK Lamanchas
Home to LaMancha goats, horses, cats and dogs

Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Dorit

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Re: questions? microscopes for fecals

I did the same thing. Found one site www.enasco.com and found a grade school one that has 10x. Its not cheap. I decided to mail off my samples ( $5 each plus postage vs $15 at vet) but that's me, I'm concerned that I wont be able to read results accurately and worm incorrectly.

Dorit Pittman, 3 does, 3 dogs, Pear River County, Mississippi

Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
swgoats

Liked 352 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

I got a cheapo at Toys R Us. I can see barber pole eggs, but not coccidia. I couldn't figure out the numbers. The cheapo says 400X I think; didn't make sense to me.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
fmg

Liked 327 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 115

The eyepiece alone always does 10X (at least I think always, it should say on it), then the objectives (lenses at bottom above the stage) do whatever they are labeled at. You multiply the two numbers together to get the magnification. For example, if I had a microscope with a 10X eyepiece, and a 10X objective lens, the magnification of what I am looking at would be 100X, or it would look 100 times bigger than in real life. I (at veterinary hospitals with usually pretty nice microscopes) like to use most of the lenses, starting with the "scanning" objective to do a quick check, then move down to the 10x lens/100X magnification, and look at the entire slide...I zoom in to 40x lens/400x magnification on things I want to look at in more detail, as well as I like to use it to look for coccidia, as it is harder to see at the other magnifications. The 100x lens/1000x magnification lens if for using with oil and does not work with fecal slides (it is more for stained cytology/blood films). The reason I usually progress this way is I have a doctor (veterinarian) waiting for the results and if I can tell them something quickly they can move on to other things while I continue searching to make sure we don't see anything else. This is all information for companion animals, but I would probably do basically the same for large, though I've never used a chamber slide before so that might change some things.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Alpine and Nigerian dwarf goats
www.swfarm.net

Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 339 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 211

And don't go buying new. All states have auction sites that deal with their state facilites selling off equipment. Here it's lonestarauctions.com and you can find the best microscopes around for $100, sometimes less if you aren't bidding against someone wanting it more than you. I bought my milking machine on this list, they had no idea what it was and put it down as a welch pump, when I saw it I knew immediatly what it was, considering vacume pump oil is welch brand...I bougt it and it is in use today for $165! My microscope came from the pawn shop in Houston right after Christmas, the med students pawn their equpiment to go home on vacation, spring break is another great time to buy, they miss that first payment and the pawn shops sell them. My microscope is a $650 value and I got it for $100 and that was about 12 years ago. Any microscope will work, just make sure you have a electric light source and not reflectors. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Ashley

Liked 161 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I have this one and it works fine:

You are seeing them start at 40x because they are counting the eyepiece. The setting is 4x, but you get 40x magnfication because the eyepiece magnifies at 10x. So with a 10x eyepiece times the 10x power, you get 100x which is the power you use to view fecals generally.

Thus a microscope with 4x, 10x and 40x magnification settings actually magnfies at 40x 100x and 400x

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Lab-Microscope/dp/B00005J377

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
nikita

Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the help. Should I order the 2 slide tray or the 3 slide tray and the green or the opaque. Those of you who have done fecals probably have tried both and know what works best. And apparently they are reusable so I would only need to order one? (looking on the website for the McMaster trays) Thanks again, Ruth

nikita  JRK Lamanchas
Home to LaMancha goats, horses, cats and dogs

Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 339 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Most microscopes if purchased in a kit come with regular slides. You really want a chambered one, McMasters is just one of the brand names.

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
dragonlair

Liked 156 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I asked for one for Christmas and got one, a battery one. Hopefully it will work good enough until I can afford a better one. I just got it last week (I couldn't get to my parenst house before) so I will know in a couple of days. sigh. She tried, she just didn't understand what I needed.

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Vegaburm

Helpful info from Fiasco farm about this.
http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm#Supplies
I've thought about doing this too, let us know how it goes!

Beth in SE NC with 2 Nigerian Dwarfs and their kids, 4 home schooled children, Burmese cats, a random dog, 2 snakes, 8 chickens, and 5 Gunieas!