Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Pneumonia vaccine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Patty13637

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pneumonia vaccine

What are you guys using ?

I have some goats coming to visit for a few months that had pneumonia a few months back and would like to vaccinate everyone.

Thanks , Patty

Raising Saanen Goats , Icelandic Sheep , Czech imported German Shepherds , North Country Cheviot Sheep and Great Pyrenees LGD

www.MilkMadeSoapsandLotions.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/MilkMadeFarm

Old 02-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Re: Pneumonia vaccine

Around our area, we use something called Nasalgen which seems to work for us. People from other areas use a different vaccine that works for them. I think it's a cattle vaccine for pasteurella.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 02-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 332 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Goatkid if you really look into Nasalgen you will find that it doesn't contain any antibody for any pneumonia a goat can get. Course I tried to relay this information via an interperter to my export to Mexicali for years as he sent me this stuff by the case to give to the goats he purchased from us.....it's one of those products that the old timers use, pass on this information to new folks and like putting vinegar in the water for more doe kids, everyone believes it.

Lots of places carry pasteurella vaccines, I would use one with goats listed on the label and make sure it is for pasteurella haemoticula and multicidia. Now if you have a diagnosis of mycoplasma than look into that one. But as far as the IBR and the rest of the alphabet soup of vaccines in other cattle vaccines or the Nasalgen your wasting your money. UNLESS you have been diagnosed with this in your herd, and you haven't Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Patty13637

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks ,

Patty

Raising Saanen Goats , Icelandic Sheep , Czech imported German Shepherds , North Country Cheviot Sheep and Great Pyrenees LGD

Old 02-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Kaye White

Patty,
I use a Killed vaccine from Colorado Serum Company- Mannheimia Haemolytica & Pasteurella Multocida Becterin...
http://www.livestockconcepts.com/Pasteurella%20Hem-Mult.%20Bact..html

It was the only killed vaccine I could find.
Kaye

Old 02-04-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
D Bar J Acres

I use the same vaccine that Kaye does from Colorado Serum. It's also the only one labeled for goats.

I've had good luck with it and no sickness. They do get a bit sore for a day or two, some worse than others.

Livestock Concepts carries it and KV Vet does as well now.

D Bar J Acres
Jenny Neuendorf
Raising quality AGS/ADGA Nigerian Dwarfs - little goats THAT milk - in Central Wisconsin

Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Patty13637

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is this OK to give to pregnant girls ? Is it Ok to give the day we transport ?

Thanks , Patty

Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Vicki - If Naselgen doesn't prevent pneumonia, do you think it helps prevent other upper respiratory stuff? Here's why I'm asking. One year I took several unvaccinated does and doelings to the show in Great Falls. There was something going around and some of my goats got cold symptoms. One doeling, who had been a preemie and may have had a compromised immune system got really sick and was treated with antibiotics. In spite if this, I lost her. Other exhibitor's goats also got sick and two others lost goats including XX. XX had his necropsied and it was swine pneumonia. My friend, who has had goats for years, suggested we Nasalgenthe goats the next year. None of the goats got snifflles that year. I then heard the controversy about Nasalgen and didn't give it in following years. The past few years, my goats have had coughs and runny noses following the show and other goats, who weren't shown also got them. Now, this is the time of year we get wildfires out west so this may contribute to the coughs and runny noses. I just find it interesting that the one year I used the Nasalgen, we didn't have problems.

*edited to remove name of breeder not on the forum - BlissBerry

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Kaye White

Quote:
Is it Ok to give the day we transport
Any vaccine given needs to have at least 7-10 days to provide immunity or antibodies. You're taking a chance by vaccinating the day you move them to your barn.

I give the vaccine to last trimester does. I've given it as far out from due date as 4 weeks, with no ill effects.

The worst case of pasturella I ever had was after using TSV-2, with a booster. One show and every kid I had got sick and I lost 1 buck. Only one of them was even at the show I contracted it from. After the killed vaccine and 2 yrs. later...I haven't had any sick. Why? maybe there was no virus there or the vaccine is working.
Kaye

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 332 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Goatkid...the nasalgen protects against.....had to look it up Use for prevention of IBR and PI3. So the goats in your area catch IBR and P13 and it causes the runny noses and show/shipping fever that goes around at shows in your area? Here it is pasteurella, ecoli and mycoplasma.

IBR is very much like shipping fever in goats, but it's and infectious Bovine....I believe rhinovirus. I am not sure goats can get it, maybe so? P13 also another pnemonia type vaccine. In talking to cattle ranchers about this, it's quite simple you use vaccines that work for the problems you have. And nasalgen in cow calf operations are given alongside the same pasteurella vaccines we give to our goats....not instead of, in addition to.

Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.