Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > PL 480 export of American goats to the Philippines:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Asian Goats

Default PL 480 export of American goats to the Philippines:

I am wondering if anyone knows anyone or themselves who might have sold goats and sheep as part of this export package of goats,1050 heads that will be exported to the Philippines at the end of August and a smaller number of export sometime in Sept.

I am just wondering if some quality animals are being exported or breeders culled crap.

Thank-you
Michael

Michael & Edie Rhodenizer
nubian(anglo),boer,philippine native & crossbreeds,upgrades
Canada/Philippines

Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Hollybrook

Send a message via AIM to Hollybrook
Default Re: PL 480 export of American goats to the Philippines:

Ive read about some Australian Saanan's being imported to PI but not heard about PL 480, why would anyone to great length's and expense to export/import 1050 cull's?

Dave, Alabama  

La Mancha's Nubian's Nigerian Dwarf's Mini's & Ole Hank

www.hollybrookdairy.com

Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
poppypatchfarm

I was at a fair this past weekend with Pat Lantz(Remuda herd) and she says she is sending some very nice Nubian doelings to the Philippines.

Shannon
Poppy Patch Farm Nigerian Dwarf & Guernsey Dairy Goats
http://www.poppypatchfarm.com

Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Asian Goats

PL 480 is the importation of goats and sheep from the USA for the Philippines approx 1800 heads.All imports of goats and sheep to the Philippines starts with PL,some sort of code I guess.In truth its the US Govt. that funds the purchase price and its like a long term loan,30 years or something like that.

Having imported goats myself from Australia to the Philippines I can tell you with all truth alot of cull crap goats was sold as breeding animals as I have the animals to prove it.CL comes to mind.I will admitt I should have done my homework first and hired a bloodstock agent to select the goats instead of trusting the importers in the Philippines.Sources have told me this happens all the time and its a way for breeders to unload goats that otherwise should be culled for the meat industry.The reason why one should hire their own bloodstock agent,the agent works for the importer and does the background checks on the animals lineage and breed standard.The old saying,buyer beware.

True there has been many saanens imported from Australia to the Philippines and from what I know they perform poorly as milkers and do better as crossbreeds (snubians) and the reverse snubian.

My farm in the Philippines was visited a few months back from some Govt. DA people and we were asked if we would be willing to warehouse some goats.My understanding is they wish for the farm to manage these goats and breed them for the state.My concern is this,we manage 100 breeding does mostly nubians and 12 breeding bucks and the feed bill is expensive enough along with the vet bills and all.I do not want to be stuck with goats that are duds as I own enough already as this will only add to my monthly expenses.There is no understanding of the breed standard in the Philippines and from my understanding I doubt if anyone could tell a good goat from a poor one.If I was certain that these goats in question are decent goats, not duds then I would be willing to help the Govt. with its plans to establish an in country dairy industry.Other than that, I already own enough crap.

Even some Lakeshore & Kast. from Ca. imported some years back have performed poorly so far and from talking with my friend, milk no better than my own,150 days average for nubians.I doubt very much if these goats from the USA will ever live up to their potential because of the 360 degree change.Some will die from lack of decent care and poor management practices.The environment,diet and the fact the goats will be hornless.From my experience so far its the generations they will produce that holds the key to the success for an in state dairy industry.

Thanks for the info on the Remuda herd.

Michael, owner of some very expensive living art on 4 legs.

Canada/Philippines

Old 08-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
prairie nights

Michael,

most purebreds here are not bred specifically for production, that may be the misunderstanding ? A two gallon milker, while excellent producer and with dairy potential , with lose attachements is no longer considered show quality. At the same time a doe producing half the amount with better attached udder and good overall conformation is generally more desirable.

Jana
raising purebred Nubians in Oklahoma
www.oldpathshomestead.com

Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
Laverne

Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I don't know if you've seen this website, seems to be pretty much Phillipine topics. This article looks to be from '07 so I wonder if this dairy is still successful. http://www.agribusinessweek.com/goat-dairying-has-great-potentials-part-1/

Laverne
Portland, Oregon
City Mini Ranch. 1.63 acre in the city
LaManchas and Mini LaManchas
http://cityminiranch.weebly.com/

Old 08-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Exports are dependant entirely on the quality of the buyer. We did a mexican export twice a year for 8 years here and they guys wer saavy. They judged your goats just like a dairy goat judge does in the show ring, they would walk through the goats clipped to the fence and you could see they could feel with their hands exactly what you should be looking for...spring of rib, length and width of loin, width in the brisket, smoothness to the foreudder, nothing in the udder but buttersoft tissue, good undamaged teats, a deep barrell (seen even in young milkers) and they pared down feet to really look at the sidewall. They looked at teeth and eye membranes. Something not making their cull could easily be sold to those starting out with boers.

Milkability is a crap shoot, especially with nubians.

There is info on this sale up on nubiantalk at groupsyahoo.com and few publically talk about exports unless like this one, it's having problems.

The point is in all sales, all sales are culls, it's what the breeder is not keeping for themselves unless it's a sell out, and even then, brokers and friends hit sellouts first then what is left are culls. So make sure when picking a farm to buy goats from that the bottom half of their herd has enough depth to it, to make that cull worthwhile!

All goats who freshen for you out milk what they did during and after a move. And all cross breds are going to milk better in less managed situations because of hybrid vigor...but then take them back either saanen or nubian and you are right back where you started before.

You were not given good advice on your purchases and you need to cull the original does, sounds as if their kid would be a much better fit anyway. Unless a government managed facility like the dairies we exported to, I would never recommend nubians. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Rose

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Philippines goat dairy website:
http://www.alaminosgoatfarm.com/

Alice, aka Rose, South Central Missouri or 30 miles inland on the coastal plain of Texas
Mixed herd of LaMancha, MiniMancha, Alpine, Saanen cross, etc.
http://quirkygoatfarm.blogspot.com/

Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Asian Goats

Thank you ladies for your advice.Yes Ms Vicki,I have found crossbreeds do better than their parents.My snubians are doing well so far,not show quality animals but milking better than their dams.I need my nubian does for the crossbreeding program.We did cull all goats that were suspect for cl and so forth.

Rose,I know Rene of Alaminos Goat Farm personally,we discussed the snubian as the best choice.

Prairie Nights,I do not believe any of us foreign investors are expecting show quality goats.When breeders misrepresent the quality of their stock like selling you goats with possible cl,roached backs,steep rumps,posty legs and so forth and charge you top dollar,ya I have a real problem with that.

Laverne,there is a small and growing dairy industry,cattle cannot handle the tropical heat so the idea of using goats for milk seems more practicable.The problem at first was,most of us believed the nubian would be the breed to most likely succeed.Not so.

Thank-you ladies for your imput
Michael

Canada/Philippines

Old 08-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Laverne

Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Please keep us posted about your endeavors. I am interested in the Philippines also since my sister in law is from Davao.

Laverne
Portland, Oregon
City Mini Ranch. 1.63 acre in the city
LaManchas and Mini LaManchas
http://cityminiranch.weebly.com/