Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > permethrin and pregnancy/milk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
amyrob

Default permethrin and pregnancy/milk

Is it OK to use permethrin spray during pregnancy--what about milk consumption? Whrn people spray chicken roosting bars, aren't eggs still eaten?

Journey~the bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you refuse to take the turn...

Granite Lake Goats, Libby MT
Nubians and soon more Saanens

Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Madfarmer

Send a message via Yahoo to Madfarmer
Default Re: permethrin and pregnancy/milk

Any pesticide you use is going to leave some residue. Permethrin has been linked to leukemia. You can Google Search "Pesticide Residue" & get the whole range of opinion. At least 80% of those tested show pesticide/herbicide residue in their tissue, but nobody wants lice, either. So you just have to do the research & decide for yourself. :/

Tom

Tom
Nubians & LaManchas

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

We've used lice dust with permethrin on pregnant and lactating does. The shaker says it's OK to use on does in milk. We haven't had any problems. I don't spray, though, so don't know what that can says. I don't dust the goats often because I don't need to, but lice are not good and if they get out of control, can cause anemia in goats. Kathie

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Kaye White

On the shelf in most agri farm stores are pesticide sprays/dusts...either for dairy use, food processing plants and/or for animal use. Find one that is approved for use on dairy cattle and read the lable.

I use a spray called CV 80 during fly season in the milkroom and on the animals. It's approved for both. During pregnancy...unless you're going to dip them, yes, it's safe.
Kaye