Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > One half of udder hard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Sunny Daze

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default One half of udder hard

I have a 6 yr old ND doe that freshened monday with quads. 2 I am bottle feeding and 2 are on her. I milked out some colostrum from both teats and udder was even, didn't notice anything abnormal. Yesterday I noticed her udder was slightly uneven and checked the larger side to make sure there wasn't too much pressure, there wasn't. I figured her kids must be favoring one side so this morning brought her on the milk stand to milk out the larger side. I also milked out some of the smaller side and noticed it felt like there was a hard mass in there. It was very odd feeling, because I could move the hard part a little so it wasn't like the entire side was hard and tight. She is still producing milk on that side with no clots or anything abnormal. I have several years of neg. CAE tests on her. I have not yet taken her temp although she is eating and acting completely normal. I have never ran across this before. Could it possibly be mastitis? There did not seem to be any heat in it and didn't seem to be at all painful to her.

Carissa
Sunny Daze Farm
Nigerian Dwarf Goats
www.sunnydazefarm.com
www.sunnydayshorsetraining.com

Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
luvzmybabz

Default Re: One half of udder hard

How long have you personally owned this doe. I have a doe that I purchased as part of a family older doe 9 year nubian she has one side of her udder that she had lost, I believe due to neglect of previous owners they had bred her she lost triplets at birth and they did not milk her when she freshened for me she freshened with only one side and a hard mass in the other however she has no milk in the hard side not even really an udder on that side just the hard mass and a teat I have had my vet see her and he may end up removing the mass once she weans her boy or if he is sold before that. So I am interested to hear what people have to say about this. My vet believes it is sacar tissue from previous mastitis.

Kasi Sample, homeschool mom of 2 older kids go to PS
Broken Road Nubians
Finally updated. 4/5/2012, 7 Does, 2 bucks, 3 fall kids, and 2 young kids. 3 dogs GP, GS, and Bochi. Only 1 cat (YEAH), and numerous other classroom animals.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Sunny Daze

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: One half of udder hard

I have had her about 2 yrs or so, 3 freshenings. The first one she kidded early and didn't really come into milk (although I didn't really push it either). Last summer she dam raised triplets. I did milk her some when I separated them at night and didn't notice any problems. She was also in milk when I got her and although she decreased a bit when I brought her home, no problems with her udder.

Carissa
Sunny Daze Farm
Nigerian Dwarf Goats
www.sunnydazefarm.com
www.sunnydayshorsetraining.com