Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Oats ???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
laughter777

Default Oats ???

Oh great and knowledgeable DGI members....can someone explain to me the difference in whole, rolled, and crimped oats?!?!

I went to the feed store to get oat prices and wasn't sure what price to get so I got all three...
crimped $8
rolled $12
Whole $14

Is there a major nutritional difference?? I would like to go with the cheapest, but want to have the cheapest and healthies...does that make sense

can I get away with crimped oats for goats?? That is what we used to feed our horses long before we got started on processed crap, so I am looking at something I can feed goats and horses. If whole or rolled are what the goats need, can horses eat those??

Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah
Owned by: 1 mini Lamancha wether from my deceased herd queen, 1 Lamancha doe, 1 Nubian doe, 1 Nigerian Dwarf wether, 2 Nubian bucklings, and their Anatolian Shepherd.
Non Goats: 2 dogs, 3 horses, and 10 chickens. Also take care of a friend's 3 horses, 1 Painted Desert ewe, 4 peacocks, 6 Indian Runner ducks, 3 beef calves, and 1 Longhorn steer

Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
nitrors4

Default Re: Oats ???

We have been giving some oats to our test goats (boer / boer-cross), but it seems like you can get some other decent feeds for the same price. We mix in other stuff with the oats right now like medicated pellets and BOSS.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Chaty

Send a message via MSN to Chaty Send a message via Yahoo to Chaty

At my feed store the prices are changed the other way as they charge more for doing things to the oats. I feed whole oats to my goats and they love them and havent had any problems. I also add alfafaf pellets and other feed too.
Kathy

Kathy McHorse
Kathy's Kidds
Blue Mound, Kansas
Life is a Challenge, and its the Bumps that make it INTERESTING!
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs, Alpines and Pygmys

Old 07-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
tmfinley

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Okay, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I asked a similar question about 6 months ago and I remember a few things. My question was between whole and rolled. The concensus was either oats was okay. Some people thought that the rolled oats (and maybe this applies to crimped as well), were easier to digest, while others thought because goats are ruminants and not single stomach animals they could digest the whole just as well. I buy whichever is cheapest.

The reason given for price difference was because the extra stuff done to the oats costs more in some places ie with the rolled and crimped. But in other places the whole oats cost more because when horse people buy WHOLE oats they do not want broken pieces at all and the mill has to be anal about getting only perfect whole pieces in the bag.

Hope this helps.

Tiffany

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas
www.my-goat-milk-soap.com
Alpines, Pigs, and Great Pyrs

Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
feistygoatwoman

Send a message via AIM to feistygoatwoman

Well, to tell you the difference:

rolled oats are pretty much like the rolled oats in your kitchen- oatmeal
whole oats are the whole oat grain
crimped oats are the whole oat but have been put through a machine that kind of flattens them and looks like your hair does when you use a crimper on it- it's pretty obvious and you probably already knew all that

Anyways- I am pretty sure the whole oats have a higher nutritional value because they haven't been processed in any way. You can actually get them uncleaned which would be cheaper, however with oats, (at least with horses) many of the oats are not digested they just pass right through. I am not for sure how well a goat digests whole oats because I feed a complete natural pellet feed to my goats. The crimped and rolled oats are a little easier to digest (at least in horses) but since they have been processed I am sure some nutritional value has been lost. You could ask your feed store what they think, and hopefully other, more knowledgable people than me will chime in and maybe give you a little more info. Hope something of my rambling will help.

Feisty Farm Mini Alpines
Amber, Richard, Jackson, Lily and (baby Violet coming October 2013) Feist
South Eastern Indiana

Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
wheytogosaanens

Liked 127 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I would purchase the crimped. A little bit processed (to me, better) and almost 1/2 the price of whole.

All the dairy farmers (cows) we know have a roller in their barn to roll their barley or oats or whatever. They know that they get up to 40% better utilization from the feed when they break it down for their ruminant cows.

For long term storage you would need whole oats.

Camille

Camille O'Connor
Whey-to-Go Saanens
Copper Penny Boers (Home of 4 National Champions!)
Copper Penny Pyrenees

www.copper-penny-ranch.com

Taking deposits for Spring 2014 kids

Registered Show Quality Boer Breeding stock available - order early!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I thought only whole oats had their bran left. I thought crimped oats had to be steamed to be crimped and it's a higher moisture product which won't keep. I feed whole, but I know whole is not preferred for horses. What about crimped barley is it an option for you? Up here it's gold. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
laughter777

I will have to check my feed store. Don't think they carry Barley (someone was asking for it last time I was there)
Is the main downside of crimped being higher moisture and not keeping well?? I won't be buying large amounts, pretty much a week (maybe 2 weeks worth)

Sarah
Owned by: 1 mini Lamancha wether from my deceased herd queen, 1 Lamancha doe, 1 Nubian doe, 1 Nigerian Dwarf wether, 2 Nubian bucklings, and their Anatolian Shepherd.
Non Goats: 2 dogs, 3 horses, and 10 chickens. Also take care of a friend's 3 horses, 1 Painted Desert ewe, 4 peacocks, 6 Indian Runner ducks, 3 beef calves, and 1 Longhorn steer

Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
wheytogosaanens

Liked 127 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 75

When I talk about storage, I mean 6-12 months LOL. However, we live where it is dry, not humid, so you would have to check on conditions where you live. For instance, most Texans have to worry about hay molding etc. So long as our hay was baled correctly and we store it in the barn with pallets on the floor, we can keep hay good indefinitely (yes, I know you can lose nutrients over time, I am just referring to the fact that we don't have the same challenges storage-wise as folks in other parts of the country).

I would think that crimped would be fine for at least a month, but ask your feed store guy as well. I'm sure they don't like feed coming back to them!

As far as whole vs. rolled, we purchased some rolled oats from a farmer last Fall. The difference was that he ran the oats through the roller - all of the material was still there, just kind of broken up a bit. Those oats were good well through December (by which time the girls had eaten them all).
Not sure if the sacked feed is the same, but I would imagine it is. They don't want to waste anything!

Camille

Camille O'Connor
Whey-to-Go Saanens
Copper Penny Boers (Home of 4 National Champions!)
Copper Penny Pyrenees

www.copper-penny-ranch.com

Taking deposits for Spring 2014 kids

Registered Show Quality Boer Breeding stock available - order early!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Thanks Camille! Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.