Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Nutritional Value of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 AM   #11
Secondairy

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Send a message via AIM to Secondairy Send a message via Yahoo to Secondairy
Default Re: Nutritional Value of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

We have recently switched from a bagged commercially available feed to a custom mix that contains both BOSS and Barley. I knew the breeder that I got our goats from was on to something when we purchased a buckling from her last year. We went back there this summer and got another buckling, and two dry yearlings, and the size differences were AMAZING! our buckling is probably in the 80-90lb range, and his litter mate sister is 125lbs easy! The other dey yearling is a few months younger, and is also right in that weight range. Our management was the same minus feed. I was going through alot more feed than she was per head, but was really not that happy with the results. I tried everything from pellets, to sweet, to a mix of both. One thing I know for sure is our herd HATES pellets with a passion. They would leave them in the feeder to spoil in the sun. At one point, we were feeding 4lbs per animal per day, and we were still not pleased with their development. We are now feeding 1lb per head, and are already seeing results in the form of lean muscle on their frames.

Her mix for 100lbs of feed is roughly as follows:
45lbs corn, 21lbs roasted soybeans, 13.75lbs oats, 10lbs barley, 2.5lbs BOSS, 2 to1 dairy mineral, salt, yeast, bicarb, garlic, vit ADE, selenium, Zinpro (mineral for feet), wet molasses.

I have the actual amounts of each, but have not gotten permission form her to publicly post them, but I can see what she says. They grow all of their own feed, and also mix it them selves on an as needed basis. I really wish I had the land to do it like that too!

When I had a mill make this feed, they were very surprised at the ingredients, and more so that this feed is whole grain. She said there is an effectiveness in the enzymes of the animals saliva that helps process these grains better when whole rather than cracked, and when they first started with the goats, her husband (a born and bred dairy cattle farmer) was thinking 'dairy animal' and coarse cracked them. That first year she had low milk production, loose berries and skinny goats. Someone suggested to her to feed the grain whole, and by the end of the second year, she had triple production, solid berries and well fleshed animals.

This might not work for everyone, but it seemed to work for her. As we got several animals from her farm, we decided to continue the feed practices as we live in the same state, although we are at a slightly higher altitude. I really liked what I saw, and don't want to set them back, as this year's purchases will be producing springs kids.

Anyway, off my soapbox! I replied to this thread as we are feeding a decent amount of barley and BOSS, and recently I learned alot about grain nutrition from spending so much time with the owner of the mill and discussing the feed with him and his nutritionalist. I can definitely see the effects of this in our herd, and they are very positive!

Kelly

Kelly Garrity
Udder Insanity
American Toggenburgs in north eastern PA

Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #12
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 332 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Did you, do you now feed similar hay also? vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Secondairy

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Send a message via AIM to Secondairy Send a message via Yahoo to Secondairy

She fed mixed hay - grass/timothy/alfalfa (also home grown), and hers are on pasture. I used separate bales of timothy, alfalfa, and grass as I cant get consistent quality mixed bales. I have hay bags instead of racks (the horse kinds with the head hole), and put each in each a different bag and the goats can eat whatever one they prefer. I noticed that ours tend to eat more of the timothy than anything, but will eat more alfalfa in winter when given the choice. Ours are also on more browse than pasture, but they have a small area for straight grazing. They really don't utilize that area much though. Eating the 'woods' is their idea of heaven it would appear

We only have 8 goats, and we are more hobby than anything, so this is working right now financially. I buy my hay from private farmers when it is 'in season', and can get decent second and third cut alfalfa right now for $3.50. I am picking up 50 bales this week, and probably another 30 next. I have 30 bales of timothy left 3rd cut...and get the orchard grass delivered when the Boer guy up the road has surplus. The closest feed store rapes us at $9.00 a bale for yellow, stemmy bales of alfalfa that is poor colored and light as a feather when we run short. I also buy hay 'for horses', as when we were buying 'for goats' the hay quality was obviously poorer. Their timothy is not much better at $7 a bale, and they never have grass. There are 4 feed stores in our area, and all vary on hay price and quality. The best quality one has the highest price, add another $1 to each before mentioned. It is ridiculous! If my trailer was larger, I would go to auction and buy hay there, but I can only get 35 when my mini van is hauling, and most are 50-60 bale stacks. Plus I am a sissy, and the idea of hauling more than that, even strapped down 40 miles down I80 from NJ to PA scares me

So to answer your question Vicki- sort of. The components are the same, but the goats have a choice of hays to eat. Plus ours have 98% browse over pasture.

Kelly

Kelly Garrity
Udder Insanity
American Toggenburgs in north eastern PA

Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
nitrors4

45lbs corn, 21lbs roasted soybeans, 13.75lbs oats, 10lbs barley, 2.5lbs BOSS, 2 to1 dairy mineral, salt, yeast, bicarb, garlic, vit ADE, selenium, Zinpro (mineral for feet), wet molasses.

Is that really a good mix? Pretty much everything I read says corn is bad, so I find a feed mix with almost half corn to be bad. Perhaps someone will school me, but to this novice I don't see this as a good feed.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #15
NubianSoaps.com

There are few secret bullets to feeding, why I asked about the hay. Cruical is alfalfa. Then grain for protien if it's not in the alfalfa (raw soybeans which we have to go the coop for) energy and carbs (barley and oats) and fat (corn and boss)

Boss is just to expensive to use in anything other than kid growing, and corn is mostly untested out here, especially whole corn you never want to feed 'deer' corn out here to your goats. Barley is too expensive to use.

So with an eye on alfalfa, then improving the carbs, energy, and fat with oats, a little corn if it's in a horse feed since you know it's tested then, for fat, and a protein, soybeanmeal (calf manna knock offs are all soybean meal based). There are tons of ways to skin a cat.

Wendlands has a dry mix in from 12 to 16 percent with it being menued...oats, some barley some corn and their supplement (the calf manna knock off that I use). that and you being able to get the Coops alfalfa pellets right there in Splendora is easy...are there Wendlands dealers around you? Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #16
thymeless

Boss is just to expensive to use in anything other than kid growing, and corn is mostly untested out here, especially whole corn you never want to feed 'deer' corn out here to your goats. Barley is too expensive to use

Vicki, just curious, why you would not use "deer corn"?

No goats yet, but we're looking to the future... (Retirement!  Yay!  I think...)

Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #17
NubianSoaps.com

It's untested for aflitoxins (no matter how I spell this it isn't right and it's also the poorest of qualites. I also don't feed whole corn because it grinds down the girls molars, most folks don't think about this but if you do stay in goats and feed whole corn your girls will be gummers as old ladies, just when they need their molars to keep in good shape.

So that's why I don't feed corn, use mineral blocks that they scrape their teeth on etc.. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas

Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #18
Ashley

Liked 131 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Interesting, didn't know that about the corn. I guess if a person had to feed it they could soak/sprout it?

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently taking reservations for 2014!

Layton Hollow Nubians

Natural Pet food www.naturespets.com
ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 08-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #19
NubianSoaps.com

Goats are only allowed 100 PPB's of aflatoxins in the corn, it's a mycotoxin. Deer can have 800PPB's...and honestly that is because it's a minor species and feed that doesn't hit muster can be dumped as deer corn.

Texas A&M has some studies on this, it's some scarry stuff, animals who are poisioned with this never recover back to 100%. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas

Old 08-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
mill-valley

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The corn quality depends on the area. Our corn is good up here, I've fed mixes with it for years. Sometimes whole, sometimes cracked. The mix I have now is 30% whole corn, they do great on it. But as Vicki said, grain should be a fairly small portion of the goat's total ration anyway.

Beth Remijn
Mill-Valley Farm
ADGA Registered Alpine and Saanen Dairy Goats
www.freewebs.com/mill-valley