You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Dairygoatinfo.com    
Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > New Treatment for CL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
NPgoats

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default New Treatment for CL

Here is some new information regarding the treatment of CL (Caseous Lymphodenitis).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19405888

The drug used was Tulathomycin/Draxxin. I hope to get more information to post/link soon.
Linda

Linda
North of Houston, Texas
Nubians, Mini Nubians, Alpines, Great Pyrenees, a couple horses, a few cats, 2 pigs, more chickens, human kids and grandkids
Goats kids for sale along with other farm products

Natures Pantry Farm
www.naturespantryfarm.com/

Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
Dana

Default Re: New Treatment for CL

I read the article. Too bad it doesn't have a new drug for preventing CL. I think there is a vaccine but heard it was iffy.

Dana
Registered Nigerians and Lamanchas
Southern Michigan

http://triplecrossfarms.weebly.com

Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
hsmomof4
DGI_MODERATOR.png

Liked 184 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 101

There is a vaccine. But since the blood test for CL just tests for antibodies, if you vaccinate, your animals will test positive, even if they aren't.

Stacey Johnson
The Little Flower Farm
www.kansasgoatmilksoap.com
NE Kansas

un-Kinders and Nubians

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
MF-Alpines

Liked 258 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomof4
There is a vaccine. But since the blood test for CL just tests for antibodies, if you vaccinate, your animals will test positive, even if they aren't.
I have read that, too. Do any of you actually vaccinate for CL? Would it be beneficial so that, in case your goats were exposed to it, at least they would not actually get it?

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Faithful Crown Nubians

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Send a message via AIM to Faithful Crown Nubians

I don't vaccinate for it.

Amy
Faithful Crown Dairy Goats
ADGA Purebred Registered Nubians
http://fcdairygoats.weebly.com

Old 09-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Ashley

Liked 166 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Also I think CL has a lot of different strains, so you really need a vaccine for whatever strain you have.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

2015 Reservations available: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Cotton Eyed Does

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I visited with a boer lady one time way up in north texas. They had had CL in their herd in animals that were way too expensive to put down. Foundation stock they bought from Big time breeders. They were using these animals to upgrade their stock but trying to prevent CL outbreak throughout their young stock. They were working with A & M in creating a CL preventive vaccine. They created the vaccine according to the strain that was found on their farm. They used the actual puss from a CL abscess to create the vaccine. All of the animals that they vaccinated will test positive for CL from now on. The problem with this is you don't really know if they are testing positive because they were vaccinated or if they actually have CL.

Christy Benge Edwards
Find me on Facebook

Cotton Eyed Does Dairy Goats
1 Boer Doe, 2 Nubian x Boer doelings
Holstein X heifers, Jersey bull
http://www.freewebs.com/cottoneyeddoes

Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
wheytogosaanens

Liked 128 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
I have read that, too. Do any of you actually vaccinate for CL? Would it be beneficial so that, in case your goats were exposed to it, at least they would not actually get it?
If you practice good biosecurity, you should be pretty safe from CL. One of the biggies to avoid is purchasing stock from a ranch that has CL. If you show, make sure you have space between your goats and other folks goats - and we avoid shows that don't check the animals over before allowing them onto the grounds. This helps avoid ringworm, pinkeye, etc.

If you vaccinate your Dairy goats for CL, many people will not purchase your animals - blood test for CL will be positive. And since the vaccine is "iffy", folks figure that you wouldn't have vaccinated unless you have it or are co-mingling with herds that have it.

The Boer herd in Texas is spending some serious coin to develop a vaccine for their farm. Too bad the "Big Time" breeders are so short sighted to allow CL and then pass it on to other breeders. They are just hurting the industry, not to mention sooner or later folks will stop purchasing their high dollar animals. GRRRR

Camille O'Connor
Whey-to-Go Saanens
Copper Penny Boers (Home of 4 National Champions!)
Copper Penny Pyrenees

www.copper-penny-ranch.com

Taking deposits for Spring 2014 kids

Registered Show Quality Boer Breeding stock available - order early!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Squires

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheytogosaanens
The Boer herd in Texas is spending some serious coin to develop a vaccine for their farm. Too bad the "Big Time" breeders are so short sighted to allow CL and then pass it on to other breeders. They are just hurting the industry, not to mention sooner or later folks will stop purchasing their high dollar animals. GRRRR
Here is a possibility -- if they vaccinate against it and can prevent it from spreading within their herd on infected ground, so that they have no more abcesses, they MIGHT be able to move their stock to fresh ground in the future, and in a few more generations they might be able to stop using the vaccine. As odd as this sounds, the Experimental Extension Farm in Canton, NY was sent some sheep with Orf, or soremouth, and in theory they would have been using vaccine on them for the rest of eternity. Instead, they put them out on large, open grasslands (they have a lot of it) 365 days a year, and moved them frequently, and the Orf died out in about 2-3 years.

I used to worry about bringing home orf all the time, until the extension agent told me about their experience in Canton. I still don't want to bring it home, but it is reassuring that other people know how to manage it.

In order to catch a disease, it has to be present. When all the scabs have fallen off, when all the animals are immune or vaccinated, and when they are on absolutely clean ground once again, there is the chance that they have escaped the disease. There is nothing left in the environment to recontaminate the herd, so they didn't have to vaccinate. I think they made a point of not bringing those animals inside their regular facilities for a couple of years until the disease was gone.

The question is: are they going to be honest with their customers, or refrain from selling, while they sort out their own herds? There are ethical ways of doing this, and less ethical ways of doing this.

Chris Squires
Upstate, NY
Dairy sheep and Nubian Goats
possibly mini-Nubians

"We share half our genome with the banana. This is more evident in some of my acquaintances than others."
   -- Sir Robert May,  President of the Royal Society of London

Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 339 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 211

How much property do you own Chris to be able to completely move a herd just because of soremouth? Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.