Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > New to goats in north Mississippi

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Amanda Lee

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default New to goats in north Mississippi

Hello to All, I am Amanda Lee, and I am brand new to the world of dairy goats. I own, raise, show and train AQHA quater horses. I am a mama to three year old twins, a boy and a girl. Yes, I do have my hands full with my two.
What has brought me to this forum is my sweet boy, Prim. He has developmental delays with Autistic tendencies caused by food allergies / sensitivities. Cow's milk being one of them, so our DAN (Deafeat Autism Now) doctor suggested trying goat milk and goat milk products. That was this past April.
So I go to the local Wal Mart supercenter and look for goat milk... all I could find was the Meyenberg 1 quart at $3.40. I am like shoooweee that is high! I am driving home thinking I have just paid $16.00 for a gallon of goat milk...there must be a better way.

I started asking around to different folks in my area if anyone raised dairy goats....no luck there, Oh by the way I am in Calhoun City, Mississippi. I started looking in our state farm market bulliten for dairy goats near us and found a lady in Starkville, Ms that had 2 Nubian wethers for sale. I called her. She was so helpful! She gave me the name of another lady near Starkville who had a herd of dairy goats and sold milk to the public. So I have been purchasing my milk form this lady but she is not selling any of her goats right now. Her goats look very well taken care of and healthy. Starkville is an hour drive one way from my home and my children are attending a special pre-school program at Starkville on the Mississippi State Campus. I am in Starkville, 3 days aweek so buying milk is no trouble. BUT by next summer we wil not be driving down here, so I was thinking of purchasing in the spring '09 at least 1 does that will freshen.

I know I want Nubians. I know I need at least 2 goats. I know you have to take excellent care of them if you want good quality milk. I have a barn, a feed room, stalls, pasture, corrall panels....and lots of kudzu, honeysuckle, privet and the likes.

So who in Mississippi raises Nubian? or any of the near by states. Our DAN doctor is in Conway, AR. So I will be going that way at least twice a year.

I made cheese for the first time yesterday!~ The soft kind ...it turned out good
Thanks for reading my first post and I cannot wait to learn more about dairy goats and all of you.

Pround mama of twins...
PB Nubians, 2 horses, 1 Great Dane, and 1 cat.

Amanda Lee T.

North Mississippi

Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
laughter777

Default Re: New to goats in north Mississippi

I can't help in anyway, but wanted to say welcome! You say you know you need 2, but they are quite addictive! I planned to have 2, I got my first in May and now have 5. 1 is due in Nov. 2 are due in Dec/Jan, and the other 2 will be bred in Oct for March kids! And if all goes well I plan to keep a few doelings!! lol I ONLY wanted 2...how did I get 5!

Good Luck and welcome!
Sarah

Sarah
Owned by: 1 mini Lamancha wether from my deceased herd queen, 1 Lamancha doe, 1 Nubian doe, 1 Nigerian Dwarf wether, 2 Nubian bucklings, and their Anatolian Shepherd.
Non Goats: 2 dogs, 3 horses, and 10 chickens. Also take care of a friend's 3 horses, 1 Painted Desert ewe, 4 peacocks, 6 Indian Runner ducks, 3 beef calves, and 1 Longhorn steer

Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Karen Bailey

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome! I raise Nubians and am on your way to Conway. You would be welcome to stop by. You have come to the best place here for good solid advice on taking care of your future dairy goats. Ask lots of questions, and read in Goat Keeping 101 and the previous posts on this forum. You'll be prepared to take good care of your goats when you find them.

Karen Bailey
Nubian Dairy Goats
Calm & Gentle Dairy Goat Farm
Ward, Arkansas
http://calmgentledairygoatfarm.webs.com/

Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Amanda Lee

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Karen, you are not far at all from Conway! That is great! I am thinking I will be in Conway sometime this fall. We will have to talk. I looked at your website and love the pictures. The palomino pony is a cutie! I have 2 palominos.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!

Pround mama of twins...
PB Nubians, 2 horses, 1 Great Dane, and 1 cat.

Amanda Lee T.

North Mississippi

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Hi Amanda WELCOME to the forum am sure u will be able to find goats. Tim in LA /Karen in AR/ Vicki and many others in TX probably some in MS that I can't remember.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
2Sticks
DGI_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi Amanda,
Welcome. I'm in South Mississippi, just below Hattiesburg and Rett from Narrowchance is in Wiggins. We both have Nubians. Are you ever down this way? Would love to have you stop by, I'm right off Hwy 49.

Tamera

Tamera Jenkins
2Sticks Nubians
www.ganedensoaps.com
email: tamera@ganedensoaps.com
Lumberton, Mississippi

Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Kaye White

Hi and Welcome.

Too funny that you go to Conway. And I've heard of this Dr. recommending goat milk. There's also another clinic in Ark. that does. Colon, I believe. Anyway, one of their patients buys from me.

I'm too far down south, and am a minority~raise Obies, Saanen & Toggs-no Nubians~...but everyone suggested I can vouch for!

It's great to see these Dr.s recommending goat milk.
Kaye

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
Narrow Chance

Hello Amanda...Another Mississippi girl!! Whoo hoooo

I'm down almost to the coast of MS.. like Tamera said.. not far from her.
I do raise and show Nubians... your always welcome by here anytime.
I know for a fact Tamera always has iced tea made.. and so do I if you ever get down this way.

My website is www.narrowchance.com

Just give a shout if ever we can do anything to help.

Rett Clark
Narrow Chance
Nubians
Wiggins, MS

Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #9
Wendy Tinney

Hi Amanda! So glad to hear some doctors know the truth about goat's milk. I got into goats for my daughter that we adopted. Again, I send the warning that somehow goats don't just stop at two. Sorry, I'm too far to have you come by, but you will find lots of info here.

Wendy

Wendy Tinney
Victory Meadows
Breeding for Perfection
www.victorymeadowsnubians.com

Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #10
Ravens Haven

Welcome Amanda, glad you found us. This forum is chocked full of great people and wonderful information. Yep you have some nice herds there in Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and a few here in Georgia.

Welcome,
Autumn