Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > My Dog's feet are swollen DVM Mommy... your input please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Cotton Eyed Does

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default My Dog's feet are swollen DVM Mommy... your input please

Not sure what is going on with my Olga. Could just be old age. She is an 11 year old Rottweiler. Seems like in the last couple of months she has aged a lot and her 2 front feet are swollen. She lays around all the time and that just isn't like her. She acts depressed probably because she is hurting. She limps. She is slightly overweight, but not bad, just a little "fluffy". Last night I gave her 2 aspirin in a meatball. This morning she seemed somewhat better. I gave her 2 more aspirins this morning and she has seemed better today. Do you think this is arthritis? Does it usually affect their feet and cause swelling? I can't say as I have ever seen one with swollen feet before, but they are definitely painful. She stays inside our fenced in yard so she hasn't been out running too much or anything. Am I giving her enough aspirin? Will this hurt her stomach?

Christy Benge Edwards
Find me on Facebook

Cotton Eyed Does Dairy Goats
1 Boer Doe, 2 Nubian x Boer doelings
Holstein X heifers, Jersey bull
http://www.freewebs.com/cottoneyeddoes

Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
SALTCREEK_Nubians_Linda

Default Re: My Dog's feet are swollen DVM Mommy... your input please

Goodness. Has she been getting a lot of extra exercise or walking on hot pavement? All four feet huh? Poor doggie.

Nubians are woman's best friend

http://www.saltcreek-nubians.webs.com

Find me on Facebook.  Linda Myers    Saltcreek Nubians

Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Sondra

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

um snake bite or got into an ant bed with her front feet

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
buckrun

Liked 221 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 146

In an older dog this is generally a sign of poor circulation as a result of heart disease or decreased kidney function- edema. You can massage to help move the fluids out.
Have you checked the pads for cracks? You may need to put some emollient on the feet if they stay swollen it can cause discomfort in the pad skin.
L~

New Rocky Comfort Nubians
Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/buckrunpottery

Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
dvm-mommy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Christine..

Any way you can get a pic? Not being from Texas, have no idea on the things that may be peculiar to your area (for example in San Diego, where i did a specialty stay with a very good clinic there..80% of the time if a dog came in with any sort of swelling or what-not...it was usually caused by a fox-tail)....but here ...if an older dog came in with swollen front feet, the things that would come to mind are circulatory issues from impaired lymphatic flow, heart issues, or problems with kidneys causing fluid retention (just as in people).
Can you tell if the swelling "pits" or not? As in if you press with your finger....is it soft, squishy and leave an indentation when you take your finger off? Other things like Sondra mentioned...bite/sting/etc....trauma of some sort, immune mediated disease causing "leaky vessels".....and hate to mention this, but in a rottweiler, we see an awful lot of cancer, especially bone. So if a tumor was postioned just right to impair lymphatic drainage to both front legs, I suppose this could cause it too. Less likely though. More often, a bony tumor causes a problem in a single leg and intereferes with drainage in that leg. Seems a bit unlikely to have a tumor in both front legs, but just thinking out loud. There are also 2 lymph nodes that sit in front of the shoulders at base of neck...prescapular lymph nodes..if theres are grotesquely swollen, as in a bad infection or lymphoma, they can also fail to drain front legs properly.

Any other symptoms? Vomiting, diarrhea? How's appetitie? Any changes in urintating or drinking?

We don't usually see arthritis cause swollen feet. If using aspirin, must be buffered or coated. When you ask if too much, depends on what strength (baby which is 81 mg, 325 mg or 500 mg), what size the dog is and how old. I generally go with a dose of 10 mg/pound of a BUFFERED OR COATED (cannot stress that enough)...you can tear their stomach up otherwise. Also would not use for a long period (more than a week)...can damage kidneys/liver. Keep to twice a day only. If there is any doubt to kidneys, I would discontinue aspirin until you get her checked out by vet. There are safer pain relievers we use in dogs if we suspect a compromise metabolically. I like Tramdol a lot- cheap and effective.

Things you can do now..if a pitting edema...massage upwards and use epsom salt soaks, can give benadryl, 1mg/lb three times a day in case you suspect bite/sting/etc.....hope she feels better...get her to a vet if you can.

Don and Lori Saxton
JOYFUL NOISE ACRES
"PSALM100" herd of: La Mancha, Saanen, Alpine....
Polypay sheep,
3 wonderful children!!

"Make a JOYFUL NOISE unto the Lord all ye lands.."
Psalm 100:1

Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Cotton Eyed Does

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Thank you so much for your responses. She does have a quarter size lump on the back of her neck that I have been watching for about a month. It has not changed. It is covered with hair (no hair loss in that area) and right about where the neck and shoulder meets. It is medium density, neither hard not soft. No hole in it, no draining. I really need to load her up and take her in to the vet. Thanks to you all.

Christy Benge Edwards
Find me on Facebook

Cotton Eyed Does Dairy Goats
1 Boer Doe, 2 Nubian x Boer doelings
Holstein X heifers, Jersey bull
http://www.freewebs.com/cottoneyeddoes