Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Milk Production Decreasing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Montana Mama

Default Milk Production Decreasing

We had our first kids on July 4th and Barli (one of our nubians) has produced beautiful milk. Since two months after giving birth, her milk is decreasing every day. She was easily producing 10 C plus per day for quite a while and now wer're between 4-8 C. I think this was her first time kidding but I'm not sure. Could she just be giving less milk because it's new to her? Does this mean she'll always do this and go dry in a few months? Is this normal for first time moms?

My name is Tricia. I live in Montana with 5 nubians and 1 angora.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Laverne

Liked 71 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Re: Milk Production Decreasing

Welcome to the forum. What is her diet, how much and type of grain, and is alfalfa used?. What wormer is used and your schedule on that, a one time worming or 3 times 10 days apart? Have you had a fecal analysis for worms? Are you copper bolusing and do you feed minerals?

Laverne
Portland, Oregon
City Mini Ranch. 1.63 acre in the city
LaManchas and Mini LaManchas
http://cityminiranch.weebly.com/

Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Montana Mama

Thanks. I'm relatively new to this (we got the goats in Feb. when our neighbors died in a house fire and they needed to find homes for their animals) and I've had to get almost all my info. from reading which I've been doing a lot of. The goats are certainly easier to handle than our pigs, but tougher than the chickens. (The goats are at least 300 yards away from the pigs and 50 from the chickens so I don't think there could be any problems from them) I have been feeding 3 way with molasses for concentrate (this is what the lady who did their blood testing said she uses for hers and she has 6 nubian milkers and breeds nubians for sale). I started by weighing the milk she gives, splitting that weight in half and giving her half the weight in grain. At this point I've only decreased her grain a little in response to her drop in production so I'm sure I'm feeding her more than half the weight in grain now. I'm afraid to decrease it more though, because I don't want her milk to decrease anymore. We have been feeding them alfalfa/clover hay. It's very grassy and hardly any stems. I use Safe-Gaurd (fenbendazole) for goats for wormer. I contacted the manufacturer and one of their vets said it should be used 2 times/year. I gave the first dose July 4th, but I only gave 1. I live up in northern Montana and I've been told that a lot of the worm problems are not so prolific up here. I've never had a fecal analysis done and I don't even know what a copper bolus is for. We give them salt and baking soda, but were told to avoid the mineral licks because the soil quality here has what they need and you can actually poison your goats giving them a mineral lick. This is all I know or have been told. I'm just confused. Last night I went out to milk her and only got 1 C. I figured it was all over, but this morning I got almost a quart. Sometimes I think she's holding back but I don't know how that's possible. Thanks for your response.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Caprine Beings

Liked 185 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Hi Tricia and welcome to the forum
First off a goat cannot meet their mineral needs from a salt lick, all they do is lick and lick and lick. They need a loose mineral with a higher copper sulfate and selenium count than you think. Your hay sounds like a really good hay and should be provided 24/7, otherwise known as freechoice. Copper bolusing is where you get copper oxide in a gel cap and get it to the goat orally. I would watch you goats coat and tail for telltale signs, you can find this information in the Copper section. De-wormers, there are several you can use but safeguard is not going to work on all the worms. Ivermectin, Ivermectin plus, Cydectin and others are needed for specific worm loads. A microscope will tell you what worms you have and you can adminster which ever de-wormer fits that particular problem, this is called fecaling. It truly is the best way to know your worm load is under control.

It is normal to some extent for does to slack off abit after they have reached a peak. They are going to rise in milk production, peak and then level off. Should there be a continuation in decline then seriously look at your feeding management. Maybe the grain she is getting is not all its cracked up to be. This is my suspected area.
There are sections in DGI 101 that are there for you to read and access for your herd management.
I hope this helped some.
Tam

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 09-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Drycreek goats

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Welcome to the board.So much good info here.Not many of us Montana people here.I have mutt goats but they raise alot of good calves and lambs for us .Not to forget the barn cats and theborder collie.Tammy

Tammy Pecha,Powderville Mt in SE MT.Goats are nubianXalpineXboer

Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Montana Mama

Well, now I'm not sure about the minerals. The ag supply stores cautioned us against giving them salt with minerals (selenium specifically but they didn't mention copper by name) because the soil here is so rich with it that the local hay would have plenty and it could be harmful to give them more. They said some goats have been poisoned from overdose. Are the minerals available in another form than the mineral lick? The ag supply people said the problem with that is they'd have to get more minerals than they need in order to consume enough salt. I'm assuming that it's like the baking soda and they'll eat only what they need if it were available apart from the salt? I will do some reading on the copper to see what it's for and what signs of deficiency are. We do free feed the hay. Thanks for the ideas.

I knew she would decrease in her production but I didn't think it would happen so fast. I was hoping to get closer to 10 months of milk than 3. I'm hoping it could also be because she's younger?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
NPgoats

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Welcome Tricia to the forum. When I started out with goats I had many of the same questions you are asking. I read as much as I could read in a day on every book I could get my hands on. I found that this forum helped me the most and that most of the advise I got from the feed store and AG wasn't accurate. All I can tell you is make this forum home for a while and read, read, read, and ask questions. Everyone here is helpful and very friendly.
Linda

Linda
North of Houston, Texas
Nubians, Mini Nubians, Alpines, Great Pyrenees, a couple horses, a few cats, 2 pigs, more chickens, human kids and grandkids
Goats kids for sale along with other farm products

Natures Pantry Farm
www.naturespantryfarm.com/

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Little Moon

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome. You will find this forum a wealth of information. I too found that most of the info I got from the Ag store to be wrong. Many people lump goats in with sheep when they are handing out advice and that just could not be farther from the truth. Goats need copper and copper can kill a sheep. Check with either your county extension agent or local vet about selinium levels in your local soil and hay. I actually live in a selenium toxic area and don't use Bo-Se, however the majority of the forum members swear by Bo-Se. As for minerals, you can find loose minerals (consistancy of sand) specifically formulated for goats. Many of the forum members are from Texas and the brand they use (BluBonnet) is not available in Wyoming. Many feed stores carry Purina products and they have a pretty good goat mineral. I use Right Now Onyx by Cargill - it is for cattle, but the goats like it.

Anne

Anne Zollinger
Little Moon Dairy Goats

Contented goats give special milk; it's mostly cream and smooth as silk.

Owning goats is a journey, not a destination.

Purebred Nubian Dairy Goats & Spectacular Bernese Mountain Dogs

Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Montana Mama

Thanks for the info. I'll contact the extension office to see what the selenium levels are here and see about getting some loose minerals.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
Rose

Liked 63 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I hope your extension office is better than mine. It's USELESS!

Can you find another dairy goat person in your area to be a mentor?

Take VERY fresh goat poo berries to the vet and get a fecal analysis done. Soon.

Alice, aka Rose, South Central Missouri or 30 miles inland on the coastal plain of Texas
Mixed herd of LaMancha, MiniMancha, Alpine, Saanen cross, etc.
http://quirkygoatfarm.blogspot.com/