Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > LAMBAR FEEDING QUESTION

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
SANDQ

Liked 86 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default LAMBAR FEEDING QUESTION

This season we are changing from bottle feeding milk replacer, to feeding mums milk back to the kids in a lambar ( economic reasons ).
We will not be giving free choice, it will be controlled, what amounts of mums milk should be fed untill weaning, as the only amounts we have to work from are from last years milk replacer bags.
As replacer is full of suppliments, we are thinking these amounts are not enough for feeding whole milk.

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
MF-Alpines

Liked 257 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Default Re: LAMBAR FEEDING QUESTION

I feed them as much as they'll drink at one time. I start out feeding every 4 hours for 24 hours, then move to 4x/day for a couple of days then to 3x/day until they are not finishing one feeding, then I'll move to twice a day. I start out with about 8 oz, but if I remember, they may take only 4 - 6 oz that first feeding or two. Then I just keep upping it as they start finishing it until they're up to 20 oz or more per feeding.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Re: LAMBAR FEEDING QUESTION

What amounts of milk replacer did you use, and were you happy with the results?

If I remember correctly your goats were on the smaller side. Once grown, about 3 to 4 weeks of age, you can eaisly move to 2 or 3 times a day, 16 ounces at a time, offering them hay and grain or hay and browse. Since you aren't growing out show kids, free choice, unless you simply have no outlet for milk, than of course simply offer them all the milk you have 2 or 3 times a day.

The full feedings you hear talked about on here is about getting kids to weight fast enough to be bred that first year/and/or to be big enough to show. You don't have to really worry about either of those things.

Limited amounts of milk more often, is of course the way to go if you can do the labor. You will love the lambar no matter which way you choose. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
SANDQ

Im now starting to use my lambar. For the 1st 24 hrs my kids were fed from a bottle using a pritchard teat, the second day we swithced from the pritchard to the lambar teat on the bottle and they took to it no problem. Now we are having problems getting them to suckle from the lambar teat on the bucket. When fed on the bottle the teat is in their mouth with their head up, obviously other wise they would just be sucking in air. Now the teat is on the bucket it sticks out horizontally and they just dont seem to be getting the idea, on how to suckle from it. Any advice would be appreciated.

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Faithful Crown Nubians

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Send a message via AIM to Faithful Crown Nubians

We feed kids using lambar. We always try to have the kids on the lambar before they are a week old. I do let them eat as much as they want at each feeding so technically not free choice since they don't have the milk available 24/7 but they do have all they want at each feeding. They seem to do very well on that.

Normally we feed the newborn kids from a bottle to ensure they get a good amount of colostrum. Then we get them eating on the ground, standing up w/ the bottle (for the colostrum, we have them on our lap. Like I said, we don't want to waste the colostrum and we want to make certain they get enough.) Then we switch them over to the lambar. I normally have to put each kid on the lambar and hold the kid there until they realize there is milk if they nurse off the lambar....some kids take longer to learn....I have 13 kids I'm attempting to get on the lambar...some have figured it out...lol

Amy
Faithful Crown Dairy Goats
ADGA Purebred Registered Nubians
http://fcdairygoats.weebly.com

Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
SANDQ

We only have 3 at the moment and thats quite complex, mind you they are only 4 and 2 days old. I thought I would post pic of lambar and the stand I made for it.

phto0260.jpg   phto0262.jpg  

Last edited by SANDQ; 03-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Greylady Likes This 
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I use the lambar nipple for colostrum on a soda bottle, then I make little 1 gallon lambars so I can fill the milk up to right under the nipples. This way it takes very little sucking for a goatling to get a full tummy. No way can some little ones suck up from the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, when you only place a few inches of milk in the bottom of the bucket, they exhaust themselves trying. By filling the bucket to the near top with milk, right under the nipples, the milk is sitting in the nipples, hungry enough they figure it out really quickly without tiring. I do stand behind the kids and help stupid ones, usually Nubian boys

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Blackbird

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Baha, yup, the Nubian boys!!

I have smaller lambbars for the little kids, but what I do for the first week or so is attach one way check valves to the ends of the tubes, and submerge the tube under the milk to fill it before attaching it in the teat. I find it's a big help until they catch on to the idea.
I am not sure about your location but I've purchased them from Hoegger's before.

Merle Van Der Weyst
Benson, MN
Nubian, LaMancha, Saanen, Toggenburg and Boer goats
http://www.endlessserenity.com/

Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
SANDQ

Vicki I remember you posting some pics of your homemade lambar, can you remind me where they were, Merle my teats have one way valves in them, but they are a dead loss, they are also supposed to stop the flow of milk when the kid is suckling, but they dont. Sally has just pointed out to me, that its the 2 boys not the 1 girl of my cross breeds who have a better idea on how to suckle from my lambar.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
doublebowgoats

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 650

To help them adjust to the different angles when switching from a bottle to the lambar, I held the Lambar the first few times (and the boys are the last to get it, it seems). While holding the lamabar you can raise it or lower it so that it ends up sticking right into their mouths. Also sometimes I have to let them suck my finger then move my finger toward the bucket/nipple.

Michelle
Raising Lamancha Dairy goats in
Springtown,Texas