Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Lambar buckets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
fmg

Liked 284 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Default Lambar buckets

Does anybody use the buckets with nipples at the bottom that hang on a fence? What are the advantages and disadvantage vs. the nipples with tubes going to the bottom? Are the bottom-nippled buckets leaky?

The bucket I am talking about is this: http://www.hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Rhinehardt-Nipple-Multi-Kid-Feeder.html. There are other types of nipples you can get with it as well.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
alpines, mini alpines, and Nigerian dwarfs
Finnsheep, llamas
www.swfarm.net

Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
fattyaddie

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Re: Lambar buckets

I use the one with the nipples on the bottom! From my experience the kids take to it better, there seems to be alot of air with the tubes.

Jenene Broome
Raising Lamancha, Saanen, Nubian & Alpines
and someday a Grade A Dairy

Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
fmg

Another sort of related question. Does anybody teach their kids to drink out of a bucket/trough when they are a little older? I know it is important for them to suck for milk not to go in the rumen at first, but once their rumen is functioning well enough, can they be switched to drinking milk rather than nursing it, just for easier clean up?

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Finnsheep, llamas
www.swfarm.net

Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 332 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 211

The nipples at the bottom of buckets leak, especially as the kids slam into them and pull when they suck. I don't see how there can be air in the lambar buckets if you fill them up. IF you aren't going to put 5 gallons of milk into a 5 gallon bucket than simply make a smaller 2 or 3 gallon bucket lambar....I have used lambars for 26 years...I make small 1 gallon ones for kidding pens and 2 gallon ones for 4 kids and 3.5 gallon ones for 8 kids and still have my old 5 gallon lambar bucket that feeds 8 kids with it's old welded to the tire rim setup, just haven't had that many kids for a long time to use it (thank god).

Sucking is important because it adds saliva/acid to the milk, but yes once the kids are up and eating grain you of course can put out buckets of milk....everyone has had a kid who is super interested in the milk bucket while out in the milkroom and especially if you had the buckets the same color as your lambar buckets. You do what you have to do

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
buckrun

Liked 221 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 146

How funny you asked that Nancy- I was just mulling over why no one ever talks about bucket feeding. We always taught all the bucklings to drink out of porcelain dishpans- ole timey shallow things? Does anyone remember those? They circled around and slurped it down. We did it as soon as they were up good and had colostrum because they were all just for meat. It gets to be too much fiddlin for not much return when you have lots of them and this is so quick and easy and they grew just fine.

They were so intent of competing once they figured it out that they stood stock still and never moved until the dish was empty. Never turned one over once they learned there was a finite amt.
I read that if you place the dish at sternum height on a support they are less likely to choke but we never had an issue with that once they got the hang of it. To get them startedwe cupped our palms in the milk and they would suck our milk covered fingers and then get a stream going and they learned it pretty fast. Wow it was so easy!
Lee

New Rocky Comfort Nubians
Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/buckrunpottery

Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
carlidoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmg
Does anybody use the buckets with nipples at the bottom that hang on a fence? What are the advantages and disadvantage vs. the nipples with tubes going to the bottom? Are the bottom-nippled buckets leaky?

The bucket I am talking about is this: http://www.hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Rhinehardt-Nipple-Multi-Kid-Feeder.html. There are other types of nipples you can get with it as well.
I love that one! It held up really well and didn't leak a drop unless a nipple was torn. I fed 5 doelings with the same bucket for 5 months and only replaced 3 or 4 nipples during that time. I never had to replace the little rubber gasket ring or anything. I'm going to use the same kind this year.

Carli Dunham
Nubians
Crowell, Texas
www.copperclaimdairygoats.com
Find Copper Claim Dairy Goats & Sweet Cream Suds on Facebook!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
fmg

I will keep that in mind for my cull bucklings-thanks Lee! Carli-Do you have the same kinds of nipples, or one of the other varieties?

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Finnsheep, llamas
www.swfarm.net

Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
carlidoe

I use the Rhinehardt nipples. They are really soft and flexible. I can also stretch them over a wine bottle if I need to.

Carli Dunham
Nubians
Crowell, Texas
www.copperclaimdairygoats.com
Find Copper Claim Dairy Goats & Sweet Cream Suds on Facebook!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Aja-Sammati

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never had the desire to use pans because of chickens & flies...since I free feed, I don't know how I could keep them out of the milk. Yuck!

Michelle Heino
Aja-Sammati
Nubians, La Manchas, Recorded Grades & Experimentals in Northern California
"Right is right even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it."- William Penn

Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
buckrun

Liked 221 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Michelle that is an unwarranted assumption. Sorry I did not make it clear I wasn't free feeding. You don't leave milk pans around for flies and IMO people who run chickens with their goats are just nasty. Chickens are nasty. Seriously nasty and Goats are not. They don't belong together except in Beverly Hillbi-lly shows.

You feed them-it takes all of 5 minutes- you pick up the pan- they go off to eat something else until the next time. I fed enough that we had an average of 45 pound 8 week old wethers at weaning with little other input but pasture so it works. And sanitation is only an issue if you make it one. I had all the pans clean and hanging on the wall of the back porch far quicker than you could clean up a lambar or bottles. I expected 5 pounds a week growth and got it with this method.

We never free feed milk. We want them on real food asap.
The longer you poke their bellies full of milk shutting off hunger signals the longer it takes to get them ruminating and getting to the point of getting actual caloric intake from something other than milk. I was selling milk so that was my goal. Get them eating so they don't miss the milk. I did not have extra to waste on making meat.
It was making money
Lee

New Rocky Comfort Nubians
Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/buckrunpottery