Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Lamancha doe not bagging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Lazy J Dairy

Default Lamancha doe not bagging?

Just a little back story. A friend brought her PB Lamancha doe to my place to be bred to one of my bucks, she stayed aprox 21 days and then they took her home. I talked to them a couple of weeks after they took her home and they said that she was bred, they ultrasounded her.

Well now she is as big as a house, was due on the March 24th and has no bag at all, she is completly dry. She is not a FF but I do not know how many times she has kidded in the past. I beleive she is around 5yrs old and has never had any problems before.

Now it is possible she would have a second due date of April 9th, but she should still have some type of bag forming I would think.

Jennifer Goodman-Stewart
Lazy J Dairy Goats
Angleton, TX
Mini-Mancha and Nigerian Dwarf

Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Dana

Default Re: Lamancha doe not bagging?

Are you giving her alfalfa in some form?

I do have a 2nd freshener, who as a FF was huge in the udder at least 5 weeks before she kidded her first time. Then this year, she only got her udder filled up about 2 weeks before she kidded. Strange. Both were single births so I don't know why there was a difference.

Dana
Registered Nigerians and Lamanchas
Southern Michigan

http://triplecrossfarms.weebly.com

Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Theresa

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have one doe, a nubian, who does not get an udder until after she delivers. She will have some colostrum, and you can tell that it must be really rich as it is very yellow and thick. Then after she kids she has a really nice udder. This is the only doe that I have that I can't tell when she is going to kid just by looking at her. And she was as big as a house this year when she kidded.
Theresa

Theresa
Purebred Nubians
Rhome,TX
www.freewebs.com/dixielullaby

Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Feral Nature

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jennifer, can you post a pic? And Yes, I would think she would be uddered up by now if her due date was April 9 but maybe she is a bit slow with that, goats are individuals (even though my LaManchas udder up earlier than that and look like they will absolutely explode). Maybe she is from a family of "slow to udder up" goats, give her a chance. With the facts given, I would watch her closely and feed her her regular end of pregnancy rations (what are you feeding her? She needs lots of free choice alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay and a small limited grain ration, tailered to the doe, and treat her as if she is due on or about April 9, just in case. If running with the buck last fall, she could kid any day really, I would think. Keep us posted!

edited to add: Don't make huge sweeping changes in the doe's diet just because of anything someone says in this thread, make any changes slowly and watch the doe for an upset tummy

Diane Rhodes
Herd was dispersed in 2011
Lexington, Texas
Feral Nature Farm on Facebook!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Becky-DixieDoesAlpines

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think it's odd for her to not be uddered up. Many of my does don't really udder up till they go into labor.
Becky

Wife to Bill and Mommy to Laura Grace and Elizabeth Evangeline..... second generation goat girls

Alpines..Champions in the show ring and milk parlor
"An emphasis on excellence"
Also home to Dixie Soaps
AKC/CKC Pembroke Welsh Corgis
www.dixiedoesalpines.com

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Lazy J Dairy

I can try to get photo's but she is back at their place, so I do not know when I could get them. Yes they are feeding her alfalfa in hay form, as well as feeding her well. They just got her last year right before they brought her to me, so we have no back history on her previous kiddings and how she bagged. She did have a large udder, when they got her.

I was wondering if she is one that bags up at the last minute, I have one like this as well, but I told them I would ask on here and see what yall had to say.

Jennifer Goodman-Stewart
Lazy J Dairy Goats
Angleton, TX
Mini-Mancha and Nigerian Dwarf

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Anita Martin

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had a doe this year not udder up until several days after she kidded...and then it was small, but she's up to normal milk amounts now...had me scared. I didn't even have a date on this doe and she kidded quite unexpectedly. Not one single sign of impending kidding until she was in labor.

Shantara Acres Alpine Dairy Goats
Brookneal, Virginia
ladyrings@aol.com
www.shantaraacres.com
www.shantarassoaps.etsy.com
www.totalbalancenaturalhoofcare.com
http://shantara.wordpress.com

Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
haeema

I had one doe kid about 3-4 weeks early. We lost the single buckling because it froze in the barn. Normally I put the girls up when they are 2 weeks out but I didn't have a clue she was going to kid. I tried milking her but she only gave a few tablespoons. I gave her the reg. shots, added the mana top dress and gave her unlimited access to alfalfa pellets. She didn't milk! I have no idea what happened but I tried. I even had Tim e-mailing with me to see if there was anything different I could do. No success!! Better luck next year, hum?

GOD Bless You,
Trudy M. Richardson

haeema@yahoo.com

Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Ozark Lady

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My does are not due until May, although not truly showing an udder yet, they do have the teats showing conformation, and a tightness in the overall milking equipment, showing already.

I have never had a goat that showed no udder prior to kidding.

When I had to take my does to visit a buck, sometimes I missed my guess, and got no kids at all, the does had a fake pregnancy, and simply got very fat. But, that was before I even had my first kids, and first milking does.

MaryAnn
N.W. Arkansas

LaMancha goats, chickens, ducks, geese, Great Pyrenees, angora rabbits, honeybees, and lovebirds.
Interested in cheese, soap, gardening, and spinning fiber into thread.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
Dacaree

I have a nupine that only gives a couple of tablespoons of milk and no bag until 4 to 6 weeks after DELIVERY!!! Then overnight she starts giving 10 to 12 lbs. This is her second freshening and delivered 4 weeks ago. This go around I kept her buck on her to see if that would help. She has been giving enough for him but hardly a bag and nothing for me. The baby looks very healthy so I know she is providing him with enough, but I do expect her to pick up in the next week or so.

Dacaree
Bountiful Dairy
Paradise, TX
8 nubians, 1 LaMancha
1 minature jersey and heifer calf
4 dogs, 1 horse, 32 chickens
1 feeder steer