Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Impacted cud

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Impacted cud

Cozette, my 7 year old Nubian doe who had pneumonia last summer was acting sickly again this past week. She was refusing to come out for her breakfast and when I brought her into the milk parlor to check her out, she was shivering. Her temp was 100.2. I started her on Nuflor because she seemed like she did with the pneumonia. Yesterday, when I brought her in for treatment, she seemed to have some cud on one sice, but I wasn't concerned because she was eating good. Today, I noticed thet side of her mouth looked swollen and felt firm. I checked her mouth using a speculum and saw that her cheek was impacted with rather dry cud. I worked it loose and she swallowed it. Tonite, it looked full again, but by the time I brought her in to deal with it, she must have gotten it loose and swallowed it. Someone suggested her teeth may need to be floated. Have any of you had experience with this. She was bred in early October and I don't want to put her through alot of trauma, but I do want her to be able to eat and cud properly.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 12-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
MRFBarbara

Default Re: Impacted cud

I have had goats teeth floated.. my vet used a pony sized tool for the job.. They don't like it tho..
Barb

Old 12-20-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
Sondra

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

get a vet to look at her teeth

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 12-20-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Sondra

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

what is her temp now? 100 is pretty low

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 332 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Also make sure she has plenty of water. With the very agressive roman nose of that bloodline I would expect bite problems as aged does, so far we have had only an abscessed tooth on Shoofly, but my vet does check all my does mouths once they hit about 8 or any problems at all. It can be as simple as a tooth that needs to be pulled, or she could have lost a molar and now the above or below tooth that doesn't have a partner to grind on has a dental point on it that needs to be filed down...all very simple procedures done by a horse vet, a big ordeal with someone who doesn't know what they are doing, it can be very painful for the doe...she can stop eating, she will loose wieght, and it's impossible for a doe like this to keep herself warm if she is not eating well. Remember they eat fine in front of you because there isn't alot of grinding going on with their molars, it's when they are cudding that everything is chewed up. Always watch your does chewing cud once a day, always watch your bucks pee and always make sure kids tummies are full and round before you go to bed at night in this cold weather. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
goatkid

When I took her temp tonight, it was 100.7. That still seems too low to me. She's eating, but I feel concern that if she's either not eating enough or cudding properly, she just amy not be keeping herself warm enough with the cold weather we have here. The vet said to wait a few days to see what happens. I did call him this morning when I noticed the lump in her mouth. He said to check her mouth, so I did and found the dryish cud there. She does have all the water she can drink. I have a 50 gallon stock tank which has a heater so it doesn't freeze. I've seen her chew cud in the past week, but didn't notice her doing it today. I'll keep a close eye on her and take her to the vet if necessary. I really don't want to lose this doe or her pregnancy.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats

Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
ellie

Low temp is usually an indicator of a metabolic problem (ketosis and hypocalcemia come to mind). I would NOT give antibiotics to a goat with a low temp. It's counter productive, as an infection would RAISE her temp. Care needs to be taken not to over use antibiotics and cause resistance problems down the line. Checking teeth is probably a good idea, but I don't think antibiotics are.

Ellie Winslow winslowellie@yahoo.com
New Directions--Blog for weightloss and health!
http://www.mindingthemiddleagedmiddle.blogspot.com  Join us on the adventure! 
Goats and marketing still at http://beyondthesidewalk.com

Old 12-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #8
goatkid

Last summer, when she had pneumonia, her temp was below normal. I had thought milk fever and treated that. The vet came out to draw blood for CAE tests and he examined her. He listened to her lungs and diagnosed pneumonia. As soon as she got the antibiotics, she got better. I don't think Cozette has ketosis or milk fever. She is dry and isn't due until the first of March. What I suspect is now going on with her is that she has something wrong with a tooth - either an infection or it needs to be floated and she's not chewing her cud as well as she should. That may be affecting her ability to keep herself warm enough through the digestive process. I plan to make her an appointment for dental work this week.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats

Old 12-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
KJFarm

Liked 95 Times on 54 Posts

She could possibly have some facial paralysis on that side of her head. Check her over good to see if her ear on that side droops more that the other. She could have taken a blow to the head in a fight.

Janie Martin
www.kjfarm.com
Purebred Nubians / North Texas
Raising Dairy Goats Since 1958

GOAT'S MILK.....NOT JUST FOR KIDS!!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Aja-Sammati

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had an older doe that did this, it was facial paralysis, we don't think from fighting, but from a neurological episode (think stroke type symptoms in people). We were able to pull the impacted cud a couple of times a day, and kept her going for about 2 1/2 months. Then one day she couldn't stand up anymore, and we had to put her down. She was the reason we now own a miniture horse tooth float and a mouth speculum. Often it can just be a tooth problem, so I sincerely hope that is all it is with your old lady.

Is her body temp always lower? I have a goat whose temp runs lower than everyone else all of the time, especially first thing in the morning. 100.5 is pretty normal for her, but it always scares me! Goats can have low normal bt, just like people.

Michelle Heino
Aja-Sammati
Nubians, La Manchas, Recorded Grades & Experimentals in Northern California
"Right is right even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong even if everyone is for it."- William Penn