Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > How to tame my new skittish dam-raised doeling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Golden Delta Alpines

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default How to tame my new skittish dam-raised doeling?

Well, I just got another Alpine doeling from Kim Hull, she is beautiful, only thing is, she was dam-raised (her dam was a FF).
She is almost 3 months old and I got her today, so I'm wondering what I can do or what I can feed her to get her to trust me and eventually like me.
She is very curious and gets along well with my other 3 month old doelings, but she gets startled a little bit at anything "scary" to her.
If something were to fall near her, she would startle, and then go sniff it cautiously. I have not heard her snort in fear yet.

The biggest thing is, she does not trust us and does not let us walk up to her and pet her, she'll run instead.
I'm used to bottle-fed kids, so I don't really like this skittish behaviour.
And it my be because we are brand new to her, why she is like that to us; but is there anything I can do to help her to trust us faster?
I have been feeding her her grain from my hand, would that help?
Any treats I can give her?
I heard raisins will win the trust of any kid, but I don't know....

Taylor Delgado

~Purebred French and American Alpines in Florence, Texas~

Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
fmg

Liked 317 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Re: How to tame my new skittish dam-raised doeling?

Part of it may be that she is in a new place with new sights and sounds. Let her settle in a little, then see how she is. Even the bottle kids I brought here last year were very nervous after their car rides and new environment. I literally had to chase them down for a couple days to give them their bottles.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Alpine and Nigerian dwarf goats
www.swfarm.net

Old 06-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
swgoats

Liked 351 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Have her in a pen with others the same age. Go in and sit down and play with the other kids - this might take 30 min to an hour. Do not grab for her. Just ignore her. Let her come to you, smell you, eventually climb on you before you try to hold onto her. With horses they call this "join up". Once she decides you are part of her herd, you'll never have another problem. She'll watch the others and become curious until she can't stand it. Then she'll approach. Don't make the mistake of reaching out, or she'll back off.

I also have had luck with a little perfume on. They want to come smell

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Cotton Eyed Does

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You can try all of the suggestions. Sometimes it works some times it doesn't. You really really need to be there when she kids. Get that birth fluid on you and let her lick and clean you, just like you were her baby. Take her babies away from her at birth and you become her kid, being gentle, patient and milking her. It might work, it might not. All dam raised goats are different. Good luck with her. I hope she gentles down for you.

Christy Benge Edwards
Find me on Facebook

Cotton Eyed Does Dairy Goats
1 Boer Doe, 2 Nubian x Boer doelings
Holstein X heifers, Jersey bull
http://www.freewebs.com/cottoneyeddoes

Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You could try feeding her a bottle. I've done this with a mini nubian I bought at three months of age and also with my doe, Iris. I sold Iris' dam whe she was 3 months old and then started feeding Iris a bottle. She's just as tame as my kids started on a bottle at birth. I've also done what Tracy mentioned. I have mixed success with that. Freckles, my Alpine cross yearling kidded with a single doeling. I actually left the kid on her, but started bringing her in to milk from day one. She's as tame as the bottle yearlings. Minuet, on the other hand, kidded two weeks ago and we pulled her kid because he was too weak to stand the first day and she was too wild to mess with a special needs kid. She still needs to wear a lead rope so I can catch her to milk her. She's still quite jumpy at times when I lead her. She does behave well on the milk stand.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
Horsehair Braider

Liked 108 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I take such kids and put them in a small pen. That makes it easier if I need to catch them (for shots, hoof trimming etc.) and I don't end up chasing them all over Kingdom Come which just scares them more. It's easier for them if you can catch them right away.

I catch the kid and get a collar on her, so that she's easier to snag. I put her with a tame buddy to teach her how to be civilized. I feed them the grain mix I feed (alfalfa pellets, rolled oats, rolled barley) but just a little bit. The tame buddy already knows how to eat this and the wild child soon learns to love that stuff. They start anticipating me showing up with the food bowl, get excited, rush over as soon as I put it down for them. Then I simply start gently petting or touching the kid as they eat. Usually they are so involved in eating they don't notice at first, then they back away... but they want that food, so they come back. It goes back and forth. Eventually they learn to stand there eating while I pet them all over, gently rubbing them. When they can handle that, I start letting them drag a rope for a short while. I don't leave them all the time or anything, just hook it on for a short while and let them walk around with it while I'm doing chores, filling water troughs or whatever. Pretty soon they learn (by having the other goat step on the rope etc.) not to panic when they feel pressure on the rope. From that I can start teaching them to lead, to stand tied etc.

I know it sounds complicated but really it's quite easy to fit this into regular chores. When I feed the wild kid, I just spend a few minutes petting the kid while she eats. Just a few minutes, twice a day, really makes a huge difference. Next thing you know they are very tame.

Jacquee' Gillespie
Mora, New Mexico
Purebred Registered Nubians
Ragtime Nubians
http://www.beautiful-horses.com

Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
luvzmybabz

I had a dam raised doe I had tried EVERYTHING on until she kidded about 2 weeks ago not the best goatie mom but her skitzy level has dropped considerably. Will stand to be milked with no milk stand if we want to. Her buckling super super friendly it may be because we are constantly hands on to make sure she is being a good mom.

Kasi Sample, homeschool mom of 2 older kids go to PS
Broken Road Nubians
Finally updated. 4/5/2012, 7 Does, 2 bucks, 3 fall kids, and 2 young kids. 3 dogs GP, GS, and Bochi. Only 1 cat (YEAH), and numerous other classroom animals.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Golden Delta Alpines

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Another thing is, I am planning on showing her next year, so hopefully, she'll let me stand her, and not crouch down when I touch her back...cause that's what she does right now...

Taylor Delgado

~Purebred French and American Alpines in Florence, Texas~

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
PrairieTrail45

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I've got a dam raised kid now that I am working on taming down. I have two other bottle kids that are about the same age in with her, they are all out with my big does right now but get penned at night to eat their grain and have hay to themselves. My two bottle kids already knew how to run into the pen when I opened the gate, the dam raised kid would go to eat hay with the big does so I just caught her and put her in the pen with the other two. I usually spend some time in the pen just watching them so she gets used to my presence. It only took a couple days for her to learn to come over and go in the pen on her own. She used to run out of the pen when I let them out in the morning, but now she stands in the doorway and will walk out calmly and let me pet her.

If you keep working with her and be very patient she should come around and be very friendly soon. Once she is used to you she should stop crouching down.

Prairie Trail Dairy Goats
http://www.prairietrailnubians.com
Beth Clappison
ADGA Alpine and Nubian Dairy Goats
Northeast Oklahoma

Goats are like potatoe chips, you can't have just one!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Horsehair Braider

Liked 108 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Delta Alpines
Another thing is, I am planning on showing her next year, so hopefully, she'll let me stand her, and not crouch down when I touch her back...cause that's what she does right now...
Well, I was just at a show, and a surprising amount of those goats were dam-raised and not what you'd call friendly! I was afraid to show my dam-raised yearlings, but when I saw the other goats in the show... I thought, well heck, at least I can lead my goat, and she can be touched. But you know, a lot of those goats crouched at being touched, some leaped and attempted to run, a lot of them were screaming their heads off, a couple actually got loose... I bet your goat will be fine! Especially since you are working on it. And the judges were all really understanding, and tried to watch out for any child handler being overwhelmed by their charge. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jacquee' Gillespie
Mora, New Mexico
Purebred Registered Nubians
Ragtime Nubians
http://www.beautiful-horses.com