Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > How long does it take you to milk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
fmg

Liked 322 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default How long does it take you to milk?

Some of the conversation we were having on another thread had me thinking and wondering, how long it takes others to milk their goats.

So, how long does it take, from getting to the barn, to finished cleaning up?

How many does are you milking?

Do you use a machine or milk by hand? How many do you milk at a time, and how many come in at a time?

What breed(s) do you milk, and what is the average amount of milk you get per doe?

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Alpine and Nigerian dwarf goats
www.swfarm.net

Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
squeak

Default Re: How long does it take you to milk?

Start to finish: About an hour and 3/4 (includes putting out hay), less in the evening.
Milking 14, feeding out a total of 21, future milking max of 20.
Hand milking, setting up for a machine that milks 2 at a time. 2 sittings, 7 each time.
Toggenburgs, 4 - 5.5 Litres per doe per day.

I've done this for a season and found that it takes me as long to set out the food and organise the goats as it does to milk, so I'm building a platform that allows me to bring in 20 at a time (the 21st is a buck, so I'm not leaving one out!). I'm super curious about other methods and will look forward to other responses. What do you do Nancy?? And Vikki, I think I read in a previous post that you would rather trim feet then milk by hand ..... perhaps we could work something out?

Helen
Toggenburgs in Australia

Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
MF-Alpines

Liked 257 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

It takes me about 45 minutes to milk 5 goats by machine. Three are tied to the wall with a feed trough and two are up on stands. I don't milk as soon as they get in, giving the two on the stands time to eat so in that time I can feed the dogs, horses, or chickens. I dawdle in between, mixing more grain (I only put out small quantities at a time because they don't always eat the whole ration on the milkstand), and depending on who I'm milking (some take longer than others), I can get hay out to the feeders and bucks, as well.

Each doe is milking at least 4 lbs. and one up to 6 lbs (per milking). All are FF's.

But most of the time it takes longer because I like to take my time. Sip coffee and listen to NPR in the morning, have a cocktail, talk to my husband and listen to country in the evening.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
doodles

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

to feed and milk ...about 2 hours am and pm

Angela Peevy
Montage Farms
Mom to Many- Wife to One for 30 years
Alpines & Lamanchas for Show and Dairy
Standard And Miniature Jerseys

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Tim Pruitt

Liked 171 Times on 74 Posts

Morning chores take longer here than evening chores. Morning chores means feeding the bucks, (we grain and give hay). Waterers are automatic but are cleaned out daily. Dry stock is also fed once daily. The milkers have hay put out each morning. The actual milking takes about an hour - depending on how many we are milking.

When kids are born, that adds at least another hour - sometimes more.

Tim Pruitt
701 Pruittville Dr.
Haynesville, LA 71038
timdpruitt@gmail.com
http://www.pruittvillefarms.com
Like us on FaceBook!
See our Promo Video for our farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p5EZx24qoc

Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Ziggy
Buck

Liked 60 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Just under 1 hour in the AM and 1 hour in the PM plus another 15-30 minutes at night to double check everything and observe the herd. We are milking 20, but also have a buck barn and 4 other pens of kids, drys or breeding pens that need to be checked and water filled up. This is "work time" though..no cocktails or drinks in hand or other distractions :-)

French and American Alpines, Purebred Nubians -
like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/SunriseFarmNC

PM if interested in reserving an Alpine or Nubian for 2015. Most mature Alpines will be bred to the 2014 Adga Premier alpine sire - GCH Windrush Farms IRS Charmer - or the 2013 Spotlight Sale Alpine buck *B Tempo Aquila Danziger. Both these bucks have been DNA typed.Discounts available for purchasers who are ADGAPlus members or on LA or DHIR.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Island Creek Farm

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

30 min...only two hand milked Alpines, about 3/4 gallon per doe per milking. Includes feeding and filtering milk, though I'm feeding ten.

Amanda
Island Creek Farm
French, American and Grade Alpines
A Californian lost in Alabama

Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Ziggy
Buck

Tim - kidding season defintetly takes longer here too.

Angela - you didn't say how many does you are milking - I bet it's quite a few more than I.

PM if interested in reserving an Alpine or Nubian for 2015. Most mature Alpines will be bred to the 2014 Adga Premier alpine sire - GCH Windrush Farms IRS Charmer - or the 2013 Spotlight Sale Alpine buck *B Tempo Aquila Danziger. Both these bucks have been DNA typed.Discounts available for purchasers who are ADGAPlus members or on LA or DHIR.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Tracy in Idaho

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Milked 12 this morning, by machine - hand stripping - cleaned up and back in the house in 35 minutes.

Soldier Mountain Alpines
http://soldiermountainalpines.com
Central Idaho

Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Ziggy
Buck

Thanks Tracy..that makes my 1 hour time for 20 (and honestly sometimes I am a little faster plus this includes the time to walk down to the barn and back to the house) seem reasonable and right inline with your time per goat.