Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Hoof Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
cstafford

Default Hoof Problem

Hello,
I have a doe that has a crack in the hoof wall on her front foot. Everyone is on ice/snow at this time. I trimmed her a little and can tell there is debris between the hoof and hoof wall. What can I/should I do for her? I could tell it was tender because she didn't want to stand on it on the stand while the other foot was being trimmed.
Thank you for any help,
Carol

Carol Stafford Checotah,OK
www.goatsnme.com
goatsnme@gmail.com
LaManchas

Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
BrokenHalterFarm

Default Re: Hoof Problem

You're going to need to get that hole cleaned out.

Any way you can get a picture of it? It's hard to say what to do without seeing the problem.

Andrew Hyle
Every type of goat is welcome here at the rescue.

"The difference between winners and losers is that winners find a way to reach their goal regardless of what it takes."
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity." MLK

Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Anita Martin

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Please post a close-up picture of the hoof in the natural light. Do you have a dremmel? You will need a dremmel or a rasp for this. Use the dremmel or the rasp from the TOP of the hoof. Rasp with downward strokes until you get all the crack gone. Don't worry about getting the debris out, it will come out when you trim and you will leave no where for it to get back in. If you try to do this from the bottom of the hoof with nippers you will have a sore footed goat.

You are basically taking off all of the cracked hoof wall. Make sure the walls are trimmed level with the bottom of the hoof and trim any and all hoof wall that flares out from the crack. You want a clean and smooth surface. With the hoof wall trimmed down smooth the new wall will grow in tightly connected.

You will have to make sure you keep this doe trimmed every 4 weeks and don't let her get overgrown at all or she will re-crack. Make sure she is copper bolused and has a recent bo-se shot, but all the vitamins in the world will not prevent a hoof crack if the feet are allowed to overgrow.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
cstafford

Anita,
Thank you. My cousin is a nail tech and raises Nubian. She suggested I clean it with a syringe and acetone then fill it with acrylic and file it smooth. What do you think? Would it work? It is cracked almost up to what I would call the coronary band. I will get pictures tomorrow if there is enough light as another storm is predicted for us. UGH!

www.goatsnme.com
goatsnme@gmail.com
LaManchas

Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Jryan

I have no idea if goats would be the same, but I would think at the very least somewhat similar -
If it was a horse, we'd soak the hoof (you could do something as simple as warm epsom salt water) (which will clean most of the debris out). Then either a good trim or if it is a more severe crack, apoxy on it and file it down flush like you mentioned. Then, make sure to keep it trimmed more often than normal while it is healing and growing out new hoof to keep it healthy.

Jessica
Central Oklahoma
ADGA Nubians

Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
cstafford

Hey Andrew thank you for the response!

Jessica, We thought we would use a boot to soak it just like you say, then 'fill it once it has been prepped. Where in Central Ok are you? Do you show?
Thanks,
Carol

www.goatsnme.com
goatsnme@gmail.com
LaManchas

Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
cstafford

Dang!
I'm on the learnin curve been tryin to post this dang picture forEVER!
So, here goes!
[img][/img]

Thanks everyone!
Carol

[attachment deleted by admin]

www.goatsnme.com
goatsnme@gmail.com
LaManchas

Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
cstafford

Whohoo, I did it! I know it isn't exactly in the right spot but you can see it, right?
Thanks guys,
Carol

www.goatsnme.com
goatsnme@gmail.com
LaManchas

Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Ashley

Liked 161 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Yea, she has some "white line disease" under the crack which is what caused the crack. I would give the hoof a normal trim and then re sect the wall where it's black underneath (do you have a hoof knife?). I have found my goats don't get this now that I've been copper bolusing for a while.

I also always cut the wall on an angle, not flat across.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
Jryan

We're just east of OKC/Edmond about 15 min. Don't show goats, got them pretty much just for milk and enjoyment recently and they've done a good job of both. Besides, I'm not sure I'd have time to show goats if I wanted to with all the horse competitions we go to. Maybe when my son gets older if he wants, he can show them but not in my plans.
I think your plan for the hoof is good, again, I'm basing that off the theory that a goat hoof and horse hoof although different would at least respond to treatment for cracks the same. TSC sells the appoxy I believe. We literally had to reattach part of a horses hoof with it once and it worked great. Its also good for less sever cracks, breaks, etc. We've had good luck using it.

Jessica
Central Oklahoma
ADGA Nubians