Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Haylage for goats?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
kmorisett

Default Haylage for goats?

I am wondering if anyone knows if goats do well on haylage. I can get wet bales of pure alfalfa, and I used to use them for my calves. I switched to dry grass hay when I got my goats because I was worried about the small amount of mold that you always have with haylage. What do you all think? Alfalfa haylage or grass hay and alfalfa pellets? If feeding haylage, will they eat around the mold, or does it depend on the goat? The last thing I want to do is make my girls sick!

Kim Morisett
Funny Farm - Rosebush, MI
Stella - Alpine doe
Esmee - LaMancha/Boer doeling
Rhythmic Acres "The Gladiator" - Nigerian Dwarf buck

Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Ashley

Liked 158 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Re: Haylage for goats?

I definitely wouldn't do it. You don't want any mold at all in their feed. I would go with the grass hay and pellets.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Listerosis is much more of a problem with goats than with cows. Goats are much more sensitive to small amounts of mold. More so because a new person could be dragging a doe up onto the milkstand way before they note the tell tale symptoms of listerosis. With the neurological symptoms so close to milk fever or polio, it isn't worth it. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
kmorisett

That's pretty much what I was afraid of, but I just wondered if I was worrying too much. I guess I am adding equipment to move round bales and a big barn to store them in to my Christmas wish list - LOL! I guess I will have to stick with the grass hay for now, since my neighbor will store it and bring it over for me. I don't have a separate area for my goats, and I don't want to pay to feed my cows with square alfalfa bales.

Kim Morisett
Stella - Alpine doe

Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Why not just feed the grass hay and improve your protein and calcium in the diet with alfalfa pellets like I do? You could also guild the lily by adding beet pulp to your grain mix for your milkers? Or set up a creep feeder so your goats have access to the alfalfa bales, but the cows do not.

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Squires

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorisett
I am wondering if anyone knows if goats do well on haylage. I can get wet bales of pure alfalfa, and I used to use them for my calves. I switched to dry grass hay when I got my goats because I was worried about the small amount of mold that you always have with haylage. What do you all think?
Baled hay silage is good food -- the leaves are supple and do not shatter. Even the stalks are tender and juicy. They tend to weigh about twice what normal hay bales weigh -- so make sure you have a heavy-duty tractor of your own, or have them placed exactly where you want to feed them. My hay bales weigh 800 lbs each, the baleage about 1600 lbs, so I have them delivered and placed exactly where they will be fed in the winter.

If you are feeding baleage in winter, you may find that you don't need to provide as much water - in fact, when animals switch quickly from hay to silage, they may get diarrhea from the sudden increase in moisture-content.

If properly made ( cut hay is slightly dried, but not too much, and baled tight before wrapping and sealing air-tight) the bales will ferment properly and preserve the right nutrients without spoiling or growing bad bacteria. Any punctures must be sealed up tight as soon as noticed to avoid growing listeriosis and other noxious things.

Early in the winter, your summer-baled silage will smell fragrant with grass, wild-flowers, and alcohol when opened fresh. It can sometimes smell somewhat like sauerkraut. Later it will smell like barnyard odors and look like tobacco when opened -- the animals still love it! Use it up before warm weather, if possible.

I only feed it to dairy animals in the winter, because I do not have a large herd or flock (dairy sheep) and it is best when fed fresh. Warm weather and air exposure encourage the growth of those bad bacteria and molds. At a grass-raised meat conference, a 70+ year old farmer mentioned that the white mold is not so bad, pink isn't bad, the colorful or dark molds are more troublesome. Only time he ever had trouble was when he let someone else pack his silo with hay and they left too much air in the mixture. Buy from someone who has experience making this type of silage, packs it air-tight, and uses it for dairy cows. Only feed it in cold weather, unless you have enough animals to eat it and dispose of it within 3 days of opening.

Listeriosis bacteria is in the soil and air -- it happens to your animals when the bale contains too much air, not enough moisture, is punctured and not quickly re-sealed, or sits out in the open in warmer temperatures. In the North, feed it between October and March for best results. I've fed it earlier and later some years, but depending on temperatures and handling, that could be risky. You will notice your animals being "off" if they get listeriosis -- it happens very quickly, and then they usually die quickly. Pull any animal that acts "off" from your dairy line. Or just make sure you buy from a reliable bale-maker, and only feed the stuff in cold weather unless you have enough animals to finish it off quickly. Thousands of dairy farmers in the Great Lakes region can not be wrong. Ask you extension agent for advice if not sure.

Best wishes.

Chris Squires
Upstate, NY
Dairy sheep and Nubian Goats
possibly mini-Nubians

"We share half our genome with the banana. This is more evident in some of my acquaintances than others."
   -- Sir Robert May,  President of the Royal Society of London

Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
buckrun

Liked 226 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Pink is usually bacteria not mold. Serratia Marcescens
Can be implicated in UTI.

New Rocky Comfort Nubians
Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/buckrunpottery

Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
kmorisett

Hhhmmm, maybe there wouldn't be any mold if I was feeding haylage in the cold months. I only fed it this summer to my calves, and they took 1-2 weeks to finish the bale. I don't recall any mold when we opened it, only after it was getting old. It did smell sweet, and my cows loved it!

Kim Morisett
Stella - Alpine doe

Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
kbdavies

"Chaffhaye" is a controlled haylage, the ph in the bag is below 5 meaning the environment is not suitable for mold, therefore, eliminating any chance of listerosis. The fermentation process increases the digestibility and absorption of nutrients. More affordable than baled alfalfa and pellets, especially when you factor in that they don't waste any of it.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
kmorisett

What exactly is "chaffhaye"? I have never heard of it or seen it advertised.

Kim Morisett
Stella - Alpine doe