Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Hard, lumpy udder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Sandy Henderson

Default Hard, lumpy udder

I am new to raising goats. We have 4 Nubians (2 does, 1 buck, 1 weather) ranging from 6-10 months. A few weeks ago I was running my hand over the 10 month old doe's udder and noticed that her udder was hard and lumpy. I have been keeping an eye on it and there has been no change. She is sleek, pretty, eating well and looks to be the picture of health. I have called the vet and am waiting for a return call. I know that this is a symptom of CAE and will be getting her tested soon.

My questions: Has anyone experienced this before with the result not being CAE positive? Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime? At what point does the udder start increasing in size and how big should it be at her age?

(Note - The other doe has just turned 6 months and she has nothing forming at this point.)

Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
icboers

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Hard, lumpy udder

If she is not bred she won't make an udder unless she is one of those precocious does that happens to make a bag before they are bred. It could be mastitis, even if she isn't being milked.

As for treatment, maybe someone else can be of help. the treatment that i use for my Boers has been frowned upon by dairy folks.

Karla

Karla Smith
Indian Creek Boers
Blue Ridge, TX
icboers@hotmail.com
www.indiancreekboer.com

Old 08-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Sondra

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Is she bred? Have you taken a temperature on her compared to your other doe? At this point I wouldn't do anything if she isn't bred but have her tested for CAE

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
whimmididdle

I agree with Sondra on what to do next. IMO.....she should be showing a slight pooch at that age, but I really want it to be smooth, soft,.......not hard, and certainly not lumpy. Even if she is bred, and is developing udder, I still would want this young first freshener to be smooth , and soft........even as she fills up with milk.

Whim

BTW----you look new here on DGI, so welcome to our dairy forum.

If you could, we ask that you list the state that you live in....maybe on the sig line, or over in the avatar to the side........it really helps us help you with better answers that better apply to your area, and the type goats that you raise. If you've already done it....then disregard this request.