Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Hard knot in teat- Any suggestions? (Solved!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
AlaynaMay

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hard knot in teat- Any suggestions? (Solved!)

So my Am. Nubian doe, Mabel, has had a hard lump or knot in her left teat for quite some time (about a year, maybe a little more). I noticed that one teat was harder to milk out than the other, and it gradually grew larger and harder until it became virtually impossible to milk out. So we dried off that side. There is a very distinct lump or knot about half-way down the teat. I'm guessing that it's about the size of an airsoft BB (slightly larger than a regular BB.) I'm thinking that maybe it's a fat deposit as the person I bought her from was feeding a very high protein pelleted feed. I've massaged it for a while, first carefully washing and soaking in warm water, and was able to get some pretty good squirts of liquid out, but in a day or two it was right back to its previous condition. She's due to kid in December, so I'm a little concerned about it. Any ideas for how to get rid of this? I prefer natural treatments, and have read a lot about natural health care (for animals and people), but never came across this before.
Thank you for your advice!
Alayna

Alayna May- 
Bronson, FL
1 Nubian, 1 Boer/ Nubian.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Ashley

Liked 161 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Re: Hard knot in teat- Any suggestions?

There was someone a while back asking about this but I can't find the thread darn it. As I recall, the knot in her doe's teat was able to be moved around, like you could push it up the teat and milk would come out and it would make it's way back to the bottom and clog it again. Does it seem to be moveable like that or more something that is part of the flesh? Is it rubbery or more like a rock? In her case, she actually managed to work it right out the teat orifice. It was very difficult and the orifice had to stretch a lot but she got it out and it healed up fine.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
swgoats

Liked 352 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

One of my does was getting plugs when I fed her calf manna. One was so bad I barely got it out. I used a sterile needle (for giving injections) to very carefully break it up, and then forced the pieces out. I hesitate to recommend that, cause it is possible to damage the teat. I think vets have a little instrument they can use. After I got the plugs out, I dipped the teat in straight Hibiclens and let it dry on the teat. I quit feeding the calf manna, and she was fine. The plugs were like curds. Kind of rubbery.

Is the doe CAE negative?

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
AlaynaMay

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I tried working it out the orifice, and it did seem to loosen up (that's when I was able to squeeze liquid out), but it didn't move around, though it did seem to sort of break up.

She was fed Calf Manna before shows at her other home, in addition to 16% pellets, so I don't know if that could be the problem.

I haven't yet tested her for CAE, but she has shown zero symptoms of it that I can see, so I hope she's negative. But I know that this can be dormant for a while, so am planning to test her at some point after she kids.

Alayna May- 
Bronson, FL

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
fmg

Liked 326 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I would suggest testing before she kids for CAE, so that if she does come up positive, you will be able to salvage the kids (by removing them immediately and raising them on prevention). CAE is a sneaky disease and a huge portion of positive goats don't show any symptoms.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Alpine and Nigerian dwarf goats
www.swfarm.net

Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Island Creek Farm

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Calcium deposit ? I have a doe that gets a clump every now and then, but she has had an udder injury at some point (dog), vets say it's from that as her milk tests clean. Couldn't hurt to check for sub clinical mastitis

Amanda
Island Creek Farm
French, American and Grade Alpines
A Californian lost in Alabama

Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
AlaynaMay

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I've read that a pregnant doe will test negative even if she has it... is this true? (That's why I was holding off.)

Alayna May- 
Bronson, FL

Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
dragonlair

Liked 155 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It could be scar tissue too. We had that problem with a couple of cows we had. Had to use an instrument (I forgot what its called) that you insert into the canal and then pull it back out. It has a sharp hook thing that only cuts when you withdraw it. Usually after you use it, you have to insert a plastic cannula until it's healed.

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Ober House

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had a doe like that and I took her to the vet for her blood work and she said lots of goats get them. Then her blood work came back positive for CL and not CAE She was put down. I am a firm believer of testing everyone in my herd.

Penny Whithorn
Ober House Dairy Goats
Quality Oberhasli Goats

Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
swgoats

Liked 352 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

I bought a CAE positive doe right before I started testing. She freshened with what felt like a plug. It never could be milked out even after the vet ran the thing up the teat. He thought that it was mastitis and the half was full of scar tissue. But when I tested her she was positive. I don't believe it had anything to do with mastitis. I had to put her down, and her kids since I hadn't tested in advance or pulled the kids. I've never heard that you couldn't test them pregnant.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !