Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Hanging afterbirth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
SANDQ

Liked 82 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Hanging afterbirth

We had a FF 1 freshen at 1 am this morning, it is now 10.30 am and she still has the afterbirth hanging. Quite simply what should we do if anything?

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
nlhayesp

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

By the time I write this it will have probably fallen out on its own. 1 cc of oxytocin will also help expel it. After a while, you do get used to seeing this on some does.

Nancy: alpines,nubians, and boers, along with dorper, katahadin, and Royal White sheep, and two English Shephed dogs in Central Ohio

Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

1cc is way to much, you don't need more than 1/4 to 1/2cc IM. Hanging afterbirth is only offensive to us, not to the doe. You can tie it up, or just let her walk around it will drag out of her. Lots of milking will stimulate her own occytocin, to help her clean. In most cases the placenta is detached it simply is stuck behind a closing cervix. I just go in carefully and help dislodge it, now this does NOT mean I yank out placentas Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Horsehair Braider

Liked 108 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

My vet always told me to leave it alone. The weight can help to pull out the rest, so she told me to just leave it be. It usually does come out just fine.

Jacquee' Gillespie
Mora, New Mexico
Purebred Registered Nubians
Ragtime Nubians
http://www.beautiful-horses.com

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
SANDQ

Liked 82 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well, I have met this in cows, and the normal remedy is walk her around alot, and it will detach itself. I have not seen this in goats and especially in a FF1, so I thought I should ask. It is clear to me now, with 2 sets of complicated triplets, in 24 hrs, and this placenta problem, thats goats are like cows only on smaller scale. When it came to birthing problems, with goats, I was untill 2 days ago lacking in confindence. I have assisted in many compicated births with cows, and learned alot, but untill 2 days ago in the 5 years I have kept goats I have had normal birthings. So, when I had to step up to the plate, and get in and get these kids out it all came back to me. I cant remember where I learned this, but when you are inside, feeling for heads, legs etc, close your eyes and picture in your mind, what you have your hands on. This is why I love what I do, its not the easy births, its the difficult ones, when everybody survives, that gives me the buzz.
But now back to the point, the girl did pass everthing, through alot of walking about today. The vet suggested 3 cc oxytocin given morning, afternoon and evening 9 cc in total, I declined his suggestion as I thought this was overkill.

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.