Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > goats eating Christmas trees??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
mathewsfive

Default goats eating Christmas trees??

:/ Ok... so I knew they loved fall pumpkins, but I was just on facebook and read a post about there goats get tons of Christmas trees to eat after Christmas... As I am still new to dairy goats I am a little scared to feed them new things unless I am sure it is not going to mess with the flavor of the milk. What else can my girls munch??

Jarrod and Jessica
Asher, Oklahoma
Mathewshills
4 nubian milkers 2doelings and 2 bucklings, 1 jersey calf, 1 donkey, 1 horse, 3 ducks, and 1 great dog,
and will have chickens again once my husband
builds the coop at our new place.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
abtowell

Default Re: goats eating Christmas trees??

It may just me but last year we had a horrible incident with a Christmas tree. We gave it to them to eat. They loved it. In fact they loved it so much there was a bit of a fight. One doe jumped over it and cut her bag, just a little, we thought It was no big deal a few days later it turned into a staph infection. I have since vaccinated my herd againist staph but still was to wary to put in the tree despite their longing looks at it. Not sure if that helps, but wanted to mention it.

Alysha
homeschooling mom to 7, 2 are 4-Her's so also to
several Nubians, not counting them is good so we can tell Daddy we aren't sure how many we have,at least that is our theory
www.midsummernightscaprines.com

Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
supermom

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

One time we fed pine needles to our doe and it changed the flavor of the milk very definitely. Others have said their does get pine needles all the time and it doesn't affect their flavor. I'm not sure if they are used to that flavor or it didn't come through in their milk, but our milk tasted .....like pine ;o).

Monica
Blessed Fields Dairy Goats
Boyd, TX

Does- 3 Nubian and 1 Nubian/LM cross

Bucks - 1Nigie a 1 Mini-Nubian

Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
MRFBarbara

the problem with some Christmas trees is they are treated and sprayed, they spray them so the needles don't fall out as soon.. because they are cut very very early on.. I don't know what they spray them with but I would worry about chemical factors in there..
Barb

Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
tmfinley

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Tiffany Finley
Slapdash Farm
Elgin, Texas
www.my-goat-milk-soap.com
Alpines, Pigs, and Great Pyrs

Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Goat Town

Liked 68 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Around here goats will destroy pine trees given access to them. They also eat cedar. If we trim these trees the curttings always go to the goats. We have never noticed any change in milk flavor because of it. That being said, I've never fed a christmas tree to them, but would not do it if I knew it had been treated.

Nicole Pool
Goat Town USA
Raising PB Nubians in Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Carpe papilae atque presse papilae

Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
buckrun

Liked 226 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 149

We do the same as Nicole. Pine is full of great micro-nutrients in the twig bark and is a commonly used cure for scours. We have many acres of pine and if the girls are bored with what's on the menu Don will break out the chainsaw and cut them a pine.Normally in winter when there are fewer things that are green they will get one large tree every couple of weeks and cycle around to mix it in to their daily intake. We have sold milk for many years feeding a highly varied diet and no one ever mentioned a change in the flavor of the milk so I am so fascinated by all these goats with flavored milk. They like cedar too but we have mostly eradicated it locally because of harboring apple rust in a effort to raise fruit without spraying fungicides.

New Rocky Comfort Nubians
Don and Lee Jackson
Foreman Arkansas
buckrun@whti.net
Follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/buckrunpottery

Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
supermom

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Perhaps, Lee, it could be because we were only milking one Nigie at the time, so not getting a lot of milk to begin with . She had scours so we pulled a bunch of fresh pine needles for her (she got better very quickly after that, too, btw). SO she had a lot of very fresh needles. There was no other milk mixed in with her milk...just her quart of milk and it was probably concentrated. That is my guess, but it was very obvious in her milk...enough so it was not drinkable and it smelled...like pine. This is coming from someone who just tasted an off-flavor in milk from a doe who was 2 weeks fresh :O. I drank it in my milk-shake, and it was fine. The kids would have complained if I had given it to them. We had another doe just one week fresh and her milk was fine already. Depends on the doe, I guess.

Monica
Blessed Fields Dairy Goats
Boyd, TX

Does- 3 Nubian and 1 Nubian/LM cross

Bucks - 1Nigie a 1 Mini-Nubian

Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
dragonlair

Liked 155 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I always fed my tree to the goats, and those of my neighbors because...well, this is Maine where most of the countries trees come from. They don't use spray on local trees, so it's not something I have to deal with. My goats LOVE them. I also save all the limbs and such form the pines when they get blown down during a storm and feed them to the girls. They eat the needles first, then the ends and twigs and then they peel the bark from the branches!

If I give them just pine (spruce, fir etc) and none or little hay, the milk will taste like I'm gnawing on a pine branch, but if I give ti to them as a treat after their regular meal, there is no flavor change.

The pine type trees are good for the goats, besides the above mentioned micro-nutrients, the needles contain Vit A and I think D. Plus it makes their breath smell really good and the barn smells so nice!

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
mathewsfive

LOVE it!!! Thank you all for your advice. I have a fence line in the back pasture that is loaded with cedars, but the girls don't seem to want them. Do you think if I cut some branches off and put them in a pile as a small treat they would eat them? We have a pretty open pasture so there is not much forage for the girls, mostly just the branches that fall from the pecan trees.

Jarrod and Jessica
Asher, Oklahoma
Mathewshills
4 nubian milkers 2doelings and 2 bucklings, 1 jersey calf, 1 donkey, 1 horse, 3 ducks, and 1 great dog,
and will have chickens again once my husband
builds the coop at our new place.