A goat acquaintance has lost several goats recently that they had gotten from us last October.
These are the symptoms:
Stopped eating, not interested in food, even good alfalfa hay, loose stools right
before they died. However they went goofy over tree bark, expecially evergreen
tree bark that was in their pasture.
Kids they raised and other pen mates are doing well as is a 10 year old buck that
is in with the herd.
Wormed with positive pellet in April and end of July.
No CD/T vaccinations since we have sold them.
Mineral is an all purpose tub type mineral.
2 acre pasture fenced with cattle panel and 2 places
where they are watered.
One last thing they mentioned... they got into the garden and
ate all the onions, tops and bulbs, green beans and also
the potato and pepper plants, leaves but left the stems.
This was about a 7-10 days before they started to lose goats.
Alpine & Nigerian Dwarf Goats
If they had gotten poisoned by the plants in the garden it would have shown up like the next day not 7-10 days later. I would get a fecal sample up to the vet asap. I bet they need to be dewormed with Cydectin a few times. Have they been getting lots of rain?
OK well I have to disagree on the amount of time it takes to poison the goats from onions. But if thier wormer didn't work it would also compromise their systems and lower any resistance they had. Already being anemic from blood sucking worms the onions would just put them over the top. SO get those fecals done.
Onion and garlic poisoning Top
Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.
Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pets red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.
At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animals urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.
The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.
Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion
While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.
Feeding cull onions (Allium cepa) to livestock is practised in onion growing regions around the world. While sheep are able to tolerate onions in their diet, cattle are susceptible to toxicity. Onion poisoning has recently been reported in dairy cows in New Zealand (Carbery, 1999). Given the recent seasonal abundance of onions available for feeding to stock, it seems timely to draw attention to this syndrome. Onions are known to be toxic to many species including humans, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, dogs and cats. Recent studies have shown that more than one toxin is involved. Onions and other plants of the Allium family, such as garlic and leeks, contain n-propyl disulphide, and S-methyl and S-propenylcysteine sulphoxides (SMCO and SPCO) that may be broken down into various sulphides. SMCO and SPCO have a stronger haemolytic capability than n-propyl disulphide. However, all three disulphides have been associated with methaemoglobinaemia and haemolytic anaemia with Heinz body formation. Animals given free access to onions with other feed sources may prefer the onions and ingest toxic amounts. The severity of toxicosis depends on the animal species and the quantity of onions ingested. Not all onions contain the same amounts of n-propyl disulphide, SPCO and SMCO. Mild varieties of onions probably contain lower levels of disulphides, as flavour, pungency and odour are associated with the amount of SMCO and SPCO and their degradation products contained. Livestock species most susceptible to poisoning, in decreasing order are
Keywords: Livestock; Poisoning - plant; Toxicology
Cool Sondra, never read it like that before. We have wild onions, likely scallions out in the woods, I do know the girls eat them. I know someone else on here has goats who always have anemia in their eye membranes even though they are perfectly clear on fecal and are healthy...wonder if this is just a mild case of the anemia from these? Vicki
North of Houston Texas www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.
For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.