Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Goat Physical Therapy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
doublebowgoats

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Has she had some CMPK or other calcium injection? And Bo-Se? If her calcium has been low, she may still need some to get regulated. And low calcium can certainly affect nerves and muscles.

Michelle
Raising Lamancha Dairy goats in
Springtown,Texas

Old 02-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
nlhayesp

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lily had barely any udder development before she delivered her twins a week early, so I didn't think low calcium was an issue. I did give her an oral calcium before I left for Florida, but I will stop at TSC to get the oral CMPK. How much should I give her, since it is a cow product? I wasn't even thinking of this. Thanks for the thought! The vet was able to milk out an ounce of colostrum for her babies, but that was it. I am giving her alfalfa pellets and alfalfa/clover/grass hay, but she is not interested in hay very much. As an update on her: Just last night, I was seriously considering having her put down as I was not seeing progress at all. It has been challenging to find time during the day to leave work to get a third round of therapy done. (Other than the twice during barn chores) Then this morning, when I was finished with her therapy, I removed the bales out from under her and loosend the ropes on the pulleys. She supported herself for a full two minutes while she ate her grain mix. So maybe there is hope. If CMPK will help her muscles do what they are supposed to, I am praying that all my efforts are not in vain for my friend.

Nancy: alpines,nubians, and boers, along with dorper, katahadin, and Royal White sheep, and two English Shephed dogs in Central Ohio

Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
doublebowgoats

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 650

I'm glad to hear she supported herself today, even if just for a bit. Personally I wouldn't give her oral CMPK just because of how bad it burns their throats, but if you could get injectable or even TUMS, I do think it is worth a try. I know from experience how low calcium can cause severe muscle fatigue and poor nerve conduction.

Michelle
Raising Lamancha Dairy goats in
Springtown,Texas