Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > THE FIRST SIGNS OF FOUNDER

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Tim Pruitt

Liked 171 Times on 74 Posts

Default THE FIRST SIGNS OF FOUNDER

Having had goats to founder before, I only discovered it after the fact. I would like to be able to recognize a problem quickly enough to treat it if possible. What are the early signs of founder?

Tim Pruitt
701 Pruittville Dr.
Haynesville, LA 71038
timdpruitt@gmail.com
http://www.pruittvillefarms.com
Like us on FaceBook!
See our Promo Video for our farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p5EZx24qoc

Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Sharpgoat

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Re: THE FIRST SIGNS OF FOUNDER

Here is what I found with a search.
Fran
http://kinne.net/laminit.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Goats-3480/2009/4/goat-knees.htm

Frances Sharp
Alpines,Nubian's and Boer goats
www.sharpgoatranch.com

Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Ashley

Liked 159 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 100

In horses, once there is any signs of founder, the damage has already taken place. The inflamation that results shows up later. In horses, trimming the hoof wall with a strong bevel and keeping the hoof short prevents further rotation, I don't know if that translates to goats.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
MF-Alpines

Liked 257 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

It's not the early signs of founder that you should worry about; it's management.

I, too, have worried about founder in my goats. I have a VERY, VERY rich pasture with mostly clovers. Our horses are on it, but we limit them depending on the amount of sun, rain, etc. AND their weight.

They are very fat (horses). We've taken them off pasture and put them on very poor alfalfa (not take off, but lessened.

I would assume that the very thing that causes founder in horses causes founder in goats. Yet, when I asked "someone I trust" about this, they said no, goats don't founder. I can't believe this.

Tim: Since you asked, I'll bet they do. And aside from not raiding the feed bin, I would limit pasture, especially in early spring and fall, until they were used to it, and even then, I would not give a free pass.

This is just me with lots of experience many years ago with horses and ponies that foundered. I lived and "rode" the consequenses, and even now, I do NOT want to relive it. My horses still are limited on pasture. And since my fences are not goat friendly, they are also limited to what I can watch them at.

Ugh. I think I've floundered (Ha! Not foundered).

Hope ya'll understand this.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
stoneyheightsfarm

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/founderingoats.html

Another good article. What hit me in that one is that founder in goats is not always a direct result of improper feeding, but can also come from kidding complications, retained placenta, uterine infection, pneumonia, or mastitis.... so, it seems preventing those issues are key as well.

Tim, how did you treat the founder after you discovered it? Seems the dietary needs of lactating goats make it a bit tricky.

Billie Hallman
Stoney Heights Farm
Nubians (again!) in Northern Middle Tennessee
http://stoneyheightsfarm.webs.com/

Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
MF-Alpines

Liked 257 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Good one, Billie, you're right.

Founder comes not only from food (although most often, it does). As you said, other issues cause founder (and not just in goats).

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
dragonlair

Liked 152 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I rescued a doe who had foundered, yes goats founder. The signs usually show up after the animal is fairly far along with laminitis. Strong, fast, hard pulse in the feet, severe pain in the hooves, they lay down and refuse to get up, a lot of heat in the lower legs and hoofs, rocking horse gaits as they try to keep their weight off the effected feet, since it's more common for them to founder in either the front or the rear. My doe and colt (both rescued and came that way) were unlucky had had laminitis and then founder in all 4.

The causes of founder in goats are about the same ones as founder in horses, anything that upsets the balance in the body.

One of the best things to do is to soak the feet in ice cold water as often and long as possible. Get some baking soda into them to get the rumen back to where it needs to be. No grain, or anything high in protein until they are out of the active phase, grass hay would be best. Banamine/steroids for pain and to help relieve the inflammation. Its that inflammation that is going to cause the damage to the feet. If it's bad enough the hoofs can actually slough off. The bone in the hoof can rotate and poke out thru the bottom of the hoof. Keeping the hoofs short and at the proper angle/shape will help.

It is said that once an animal founders they will do so again. Neither my doe (who turned out to be a very heavy milker) nor my colt ever ever had it again. Both returned to a balanced grain/hay diet. The doe milked and had several successful kiddings. The colt grew up to be a top sire and multi-purpose riding/working horse. However, I always made sure they had a balanced diet.

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #8
Ashley

Liked 159 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 100

You can give antiinflammatories to prevent damage if you expect an animal may founder.

Founder in horses is totally curable as long as the cause is relieved and there is a correct trim and no permanent tissue loss from chronic founder etc. Usually, in horses, the horse has had subclinical laminitis for many years before they actually founder. Most horses go around with some degree of wall detachment (flares) because they basically eat too much and exercise too little. Over time, this actually permanently weakens lamina, part of why it's so important to keep foals trimmed regularly so they don't flare and have leverage on those flares.

I have a horse that is sitting in my round pen right now because he nearly foundered this spring. He is one a diet. Since sugar is lowest in the morning, he's out in the morning (after a little hay to put something in his belly first) until about noon and then give hay after that, in limited amounts fluffed and spread in several piles to slow him down.

The more exercise the animal gets the more he can handle sugar better.. I've often wondered how this relates to lactation, does lactating make the cells responsible for milk production more sensitive to sugar like muscle cells become more sensitive when worked?

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently have 2 nubian buck kids available! Check them out at: For Sale Page

Layton Hollow Nubians

ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
hammerithot

I wonder if the same thing happens in goats that happens in horses to cause the acute laminitis. In horses, due to whatever has caused a problem (and retained placenta and mastitis can cause it, too), blood supply to the hoof is shunted off. The theory is this is to allow the blood to be used to help fix whatever the problem is. Well, cut off blood supply, completely or partially, and you get swelling. Unfortunately, this symptom is, in and of itself, a very devastating problem!

Valerie Jaques
Chalice Ranch, Jamul, California
Alpine/Pygmy doe & her Angora cross doeling
3 horses: Mustang, Arabian, National Show Horse; 4 dogs: Aussie cross, pomeranian/chow, Catahoula, Catahoula/cattle dog; 2 cats of indeterminate breeding; 1 husband, rarely seen, also of indeterminate breeding
Visit my blog!  destinationtevis2013.blogspot.com

Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Hollybrook

Send a message via AIM to Hollybrook

Billie

It said giving bi-carb can help

Dave, Alabama  

La Mancha's Nubian's Nigerian Dwarf's Mini's & Ole Hank

www.hollybrookdairy.com