Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Favorite Milking pail, strainers, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Anita Martin

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Favorite Milking pail, strainers, etc.

Hello,
I am getting ready to order a milking pail and was hoping someone could give me advice on their favorite pails. I was planning to order the covered pail from Hoegger, and their milk strainer and filters, and at least one stainless tote. Does anyone use these and have feedback, good or bad, or know of another, either better or less expensive place to buy something similar? I'm not sure I need a half-covered pail as although it would probably keep dirt and floaty things out, I'm not a very good shot with the squirting! I guess I could take the top off and then use it later when my aim improves? :/
Thanks!
Anita

Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Default Re: Favorite Milking pail, strainers, etc.

Most that I know have the lid off I use a flat bottom stainless pail I got at TSC then pour it in to a covered plastic pail I am cheap so strain my milk thru muslim bought at fabric store.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
susie

I've used a stainless steel ucket from Jeffers for a long time. 6 quarts ( It's in the pet part of their website) I just recently got a Hoegger's off Craigslist- the half moon is not that hard for me to to aim for, and my hubby usually does the milking, but I wouldn't pay extra for it, the jeffer's bucket is really fine.
Hubby just won a real milk strainer at the recent dairy goat conference, haven't used it yet, but it looks great! Not sure where it is from tho-- we've been using Bounty paper towels between two funnels.

Susie

Crowinghen Farm
Nubians

Old 03-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

coffee filters will work too but not for colostrum

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 03-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Anita Martin

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This morning I milked out my newly freshened doe. She's raising her own kids so I just milked enough to relieve pressure...quite a bit of milk coming in...though it's still mostly colostrum...not to tasty in my coffee I might add : :/ I milked into a plastic bucket and then brought that into the house and placed a piece of thin cotton diaper in a metal strainer and strained thru that, which worked very well, so I like the muslin idea. Do you reuse the muslin filters or use a new one each time? I have seen the stainless buckets at Tractor Supply, much less expensive than the hoegger bucket. Maybe I'll get that for now since my funds are being used for drugs and stuff for kidding. Thanks!

Shantara Acres Alpine Dairy Goats
Brookneal, Virginia
ladyrings@aol.com
www.shantaraacres.com
www.shantarassoaps.etsy.com
www.totalbalancenaturalhoofcare.com
http://shantara.wordpress.com

Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I got a couple of stainless steel pails from Target that I use to milk the goats into. We have a bigger pail we got from Hoeggers to pasteurize or make cheese in. For filtering milk, I use the small stainless steel device I gotfrom either Hoeggers or Caprine supply. Rather than buying those small filters, we get the big ones and cut them in quarters. The contraption fits very nicely over my gallon glass jars. I filter my milk into them, drop a clean frozen ice pack in the milk and submerse the jar into cold water. Kathie

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
LynninTX

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have 3?4? SS compost pails from Lee Valley tools... I adore them! Got the bigger ones... they work great.

I have looked at the totes, but figure they would be heavy to handle.

I did get the SS filter from Hoeggers... we moved up to the bigger $40 one last fall and love it!

Lynn
wife to Harold
mom to 8 boys (30, 27, 19, 18, 11, 9, 7, and 5) and 2 girls (23 and 15) and baby due in Aug

Texadus Family Farm
La Mancha & Mini Mancha dairy goats
in Deep East TX (Shelby County between Nacogdoches and Carthage,
90min from Shreveport)

http://texadus.com/

Texadus@gmail.com

Texadus Family Farm (FB page)
Texadus Farm-Wife (FB)

Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
Tricia

One thing to look for in your stainless buckets is a very smooth interior -- much easier to keep clean and sanitized. Some of the less expensive buckets will be rough inside simply because their interiors don't go through the metal finishing and polishing that more expensive buckets do. I like the Hoegger bucket a lot -- mine is very well finished.

I learned a fair amount about stainless steel finishing during the process of licensing our cheese house. My inspector had me send out my commercial-grade stainless steel vats (large Vollrath stockpots, "NSF" labeled) for additional polishing: he thought they were not smooth enough to sanitize easily. A pain at the time, but what a difference. When my curd sets, it rarely adheres to the sides or bottoms of the vat -- and if it does, I know it's time for a good scrub.

For totes, I use 10 liter stainless steel ones from Fromagex (http://www.fromagex.com. I have some larger ones (again, the Hoegger's totes that are made in India I think our pretty good), but they don't fit in my dishwasher.

I haven't liked any of the stainless steel buckets or totes from Caprine Supply. Bucket finishes aren't very good (still pricey, though) and on at least one of their totes, the lid doesn't cover the lip of the tote -- so much for keeping that lip clean and covered.

For a strainer, look for one deep enough that milk doesn't splash back up over the rim unless you pour very slowly. I have an older Hoegger SS filter that is much deeper than the ones being sold now. The newer one is a lot more difficult to use without thinking about what I'm doing!

Tricia Smith
Carlisle Farmstead Cheese | Shadowfax Oberhasli
Carlisle MA

Old 03-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Kaye White

You're dealing with perhaps the most spendthrifty bunch of people on any forums...if we can save a penny we will!! We're not cheap...just shop smart!

I have purchased the Hoegger's half-moon pail when I first started...I HATED it. With the flat bottom, it would splash milk back up on my fore arms and forget about hitting that opening. In fact, I sold mine to Vicki,to give as a gift.
You can purchase a nice SS 6 quart bucket from Jeffer's for $10.96. I've got a 6 & 9qt. and use the 6 qt much more.
SS Filters are cheaper off e-bay...just make sure they're SS and not aluminum.
I order milk filters from Jeffers also...$4.15/100. If I run out between orders, I use cheesecloth from Wal-mart. There is a sterile and non-sterile.
For a milk tote...I use the SS buckets from my pasturizers. I keep bidding on the 5 gal. SS totes on e-bay, but haven't gotten one yet. I have to do something this year as I will be bringing in about 9 gallons a milking, twice a day. :/
Kaye

Old 03-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Sheryl

I finally gave in a couple of years ago and bought a ss bucket on ebay. Got it for 15.00 it is a milking pail with a bucket handle. It has angled sides, and I think it is 1.5 gal (6qt?) I love it. It's big enough (I hand milk right now) to hold one does milk at a time. And it is not too big that if they kick I can't move it quickly. I also a couple of years ago bought a ss tote from Hoeager, and it is the best thing I ever bought. I had to send it back once to have the metal handle at the bottom put back on cause my dd kept putting her foot on it to pull the lid off. It came off again, and we just left it. I think it is a 3 gallon tote. I just love it. it is heavy when filled with milk though. I need another one. I have that big strainer from Hoeager that you put the 6" filters in I think I dunno it's the large filters. I don't know how I ever got along without one. When you are straining several gallons of milk it's the best. The coffee filters are way too slow for me. It takes too long for the milk the go through. Although the only bad think about my strainer is I bought it from a goat person going out of the goat business and it is aluminum. yuck. As soon as I can afford to, I will replace it with the ss.

Sheryl
who so wants a working milking machine

Nubians, Alpines, Experimentals, & Recorded Grades
Weatherford, TEXAS