You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Dairygoatinfo.com    
Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Exercise for goats

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
NWgoats

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Exercise for goats

I have a doe that is waaaaaaay overweight. She is a super easy keeper. Milked through 18 months,
(still milking, but bred and production has dropped).Since Oct. she has only been getting 1 1/2 cup alfalfa
pellets and 1 cup rolled oats on the milkstand. (Milking once a day) Since her production dropped
severely last month, she is only getting a handful of each at milking time. I was hoping that by continuing
to milk her till the end of Dec. she would not put her feed on her fanny, but....

All she gets in alfalfa/orchard mix hay free choice. But she is hugely fat. She always has a VERY well developed rumen (everyone asks if she is pregnant when she isn't) but she currently has rolls of fat behind
her elbows that you can grab a handful of.

I am concerned about her because she is only 2 1/2 months bred, already the size she was last kidding
with triplets around her due date. She looks like Moby Dick when she lays down and grunts and groans
while breathing (laying down). Waddles already.

Since my pasture is currently a lake (not kidding, there are about 3 inches of standing water everywhere)
the girls do not leave the barn. What, if anything, can I do to help prevent kidding problems from being fat.
Or, what do I need to do to be prepared. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Saanen & Mini-Saanen
Michele

Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
NPgoats

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Re: Exercise for goats

HAHAHAHA
Sounds like my problem with one of my goats. She's not due for 2 months and is way too huge. Groans when she steps up onto the stall railings. I hurt just looking at her. I'm expecting quads with this one. She is way to big to early for anything else. I'm not feeding her anything but alfalfa. She gets out everyday and runs waddles the pasture with the other girls. Don't know what to tell you because I don't know either. Linda

Linda
North of Houston, Texas
Nubians, Mini Nubians, Alpines, Great Pyrenees, a couple horses, a few cats, 2 pigs, more chickens, human kids and grandkids
Goats kids for sale along with other farm products

Natures Pantry Farm
www.naturespantryfarm.com/

Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
dragonlair

Liked 156 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Take her jogging? Or at least take her for forced walks every day like you would a dog?

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 339 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 211

You should be as alarmed with this as when you see emaciated thin does at peoples farms. She doesn't need any grain if she is milking that poorly, it takes just as long to get weight off a doe as it does to get weight on a doe. No doe can be this fat at the end of her lactation, being bred, unless you were simply feeding her way to much grain, she can not be a good milker and be in this shape. The cup of oats is likely all she needs with her alfalfa pellets when milking. Don't take into account the big deep barrel, and when a doe is carrying kids way out to the side, or looks like this when not bred, it is usually because she has so much fat internally there is place deep in the belly for her to carry the kids. Does can get so fat they bust a stomach through the wall, displaced obamassum. All the endearing accolades given to our big fat does, is really in the end shameful, we do this to them, and it hurts their longevity, their ability to get bred later in life and keeps them from getting around when they spring their pasterns. When people are shamed into admitting their does are overweight/easy keepers etc...as much as they would be shamed to admit their does are grossly underweight, then my job is done

What makes fat on you? Carbs, what are you feeding that is packing carbs on her? Grain. So although at 100 days pregnant you need to start her back on a handful of grain until perhaps you get her up to that cup of grain she likely needs to sustain a poor lactation, cut out her grain now, don't overdo the alfalfa pellets and get her moving. V

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
NWgoats

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

She milks 9-10 lbs. from her 2nd month fresh to her 7th,then drops down to about 6 lbs. up until I dry her
off in her 10th month. This year was an experiment, to see how well she milked through a second season.Up until October, she was still producing over 1/2 gallon a day. I was planning on giving her the 60 day
rest period before she kids. But after she was bred in November, she dropped off sharply. It seems like
that was when she started packing on the pounds.

Since she is a decent producer, and keeps weight easily, I need to know how to "challenge" feed her
to keep her from having this problem next year. During pregnancy and early lactation, I don't grain them.
Only alfalfa pellets. They only start getting the oats on the milkstand when I start milking.

I do know this is my fault, but I still need to know how to prevent it and help her out. None of my other
girls are having this problem. When her production dropped so sharply, was that when I should have decreased
the feed greatly? Since she has milked for so long, should that have been the signal that she was ready to dry
off? I understood that if I decreased the feed, the production would just decrease exponentially.

Saanen & Mini-Saanen
Michele