Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Equatorial vs Alpine goats

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
cheesemoose

Default Equatorial vs Alpine goats

Is there significant difference in the metabolic needs in these two groups of goats. What I am wondering is due to the different environment from which these groups were originated from could there be different requirements in things like copper, selenium and other trace elements or in there original environments did they acquire what they need from vastly different feed sources?

David Moose
Loganville, Ga
7 Saanen
36 chickens, 0 Roster

Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
DostThouHaveMilk

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Re: Equatorial vs Alpine goats

I would think it would depend more on where a goat was raised, rather than where the breed originates.
For instance, antibodies will differ from herd to herd. The dams who have lived on a farm will have the antibodies for issues common to that farm. A doe brought in in the end of her pregnancy, won't have the exact same antibodies to pass onto her offspring.
Originally there are probably differences and if you brought in two goats born and raised in different areas, I would think they may have some absorption differences, but that would be in the first generation and eventually would adjust to the farm I would think through the future generations.
A fascinating question, for sure.

Roseanna
Journey's End Jerseys
Morning Mist Herd
Barnesville, Ohio
Boers, Nubians & crossbreeds- Polled genetics
www.freewebs.com/morningmistherd

Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
cheesemoose

My bad I have heard the goats of primarily the equatorial regions such as the Nubians and other breeds that more readily bread year around were consider equatorial and the Swiss breeds which typically breed seasonally were considered Alpine or Swiss breeds.

My thoughts were along the lines that since these groups were developed with different available feed. Since these breeds had to absorb there nutrients from different food sources then might one group over the other be better at absorption of there nutrients

Or maybe a goat is a goat.

David Moose
Loganville, Ga
7 Saanen
36 chickens, 0 Roster

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
JamieH

I think it could make a difference. In horses for example, breed can determine feeding plans. My haflinger is short and drafty. She doesn't eat grain and really doesn't need much hay to keep meat on her bones. A thoroughbred, even when not working, needs a lot of grain to stay in condition. My horse also grows a REALLY thick winter coat, and she's lived in Texas for most of her life. The paint in the next stall barely grew any winter coat.

I've been around a few goat breeds and haven't noticed much differences in the needs. Goats were domesticated about the same time as dogs. Dog's breed doesn't really make a difference in feeding, maybe it has something to do with how domesticated an animal is.

Jamie
The Woodlands, TX
4 Nubian Does, 1 Nubian Buck, 1 pug, 1 Boston/Pug mix, and 1 gerbil.
I love showing.
http://www.graystablesdairygoats.com
Fine Goats, Fine Milk, Fine Soap

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
catdance62

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My friends who have a farm in Belize say their Spanish goats breed year-round.

Sandy Azancot
Circle A Farm
High quality dairy hybrids and a couple Nubians. Plus a bunch of wild sheep!
Texarkana, Arkansas
knowledge = power

Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
tendermeadowsnigerians

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Where they live & what breed would determine the needs of the goats. I couldnt feed my Nigerians the same amount I feed my Nubians but they all need the same minerals, but goats in Florida may need different amounts of different minerals then what my goats here in Michigan need.
Dog breeds do determine what they need, you cant feed a small breed(need high protien) the same as you feed a medium breed, or a xxl breed(need low protien).

Nicole
Nubians, Nigerians, and Boers
Commercial Sheep for 4-H Show Wethers.
Paints, Draft, and Miniature Horses
AKC St. Bernards, Great Danes, and Dachshunds.
Oakland County (Davisburg), Michigan
www.tendermeadowsfarm.com

Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
cheesemoose

Is it safe to assume ( I know ) that the geographic placement of animals around the world is some what based on available feed. Not only available actual plants but plants and in some cases raw minerals that the animal needs to flourish.

If the Shannen goat was developed in a region of Switzerland and as that breed was developed traits that were considered good were keep and traits that were considered bad were eliminated. Some of this process would have to have been based on healthy goats v unhealthy goats. Would this not leave in the breed the ability to best thrive in the environment in which the breed was developed.

So as different breeds were developed in different ares would that leave them with different ability to absorb nutrients and minerals requiring different mineral and feed to maximize there ability to flourish?

David Moose
Loganville, Ga
7 Saanen
36 chickens, 0 Roster

Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
dragonlair

Liked 155 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Northern breeds of dogs need more fat in their diets than other breeds.

Probably the original goat breeds had sight differences, but they have been shuffled all over the world, interbred with native breeds and fed whatever is handy for so long, it probably doesn't make much of a difference now.

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.