Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Draxxin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
goatgal36

Default Draxxin

Hello everyone,
I have been reading the posts (which are VERY useful) and this is my first time posting. I apologize if I missed a post that talked about this already.
Has anyone had experience with Draxxen (spelling?)? My vet is starting to use it more and more with the older goats if they have something with upper resp. since she feels that Nuflor and Penicillin are not working around here anymore. She has not used it in kids yet. I was wondering if anyone has been using this prescription drug and at what doses.

Thank you for your time!!!!!!

Enter breeds of goats raised and real name HERE

Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
ldoran

Default Re: Draxxen

Are you sure it wasn't Naxel?

It's a newer sub-q (or IM or IV) antibiotic that's broad-spectrum so I give it to her at night, then some ProBios in the morning to regenerate the good bugs in her gut that were killed overnight by the antibiotic.

- Lisa Doran
Marybelle Farm
McDade, Texas

Happy wife of adoring husband Jason; doting mom of two Nubian does, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 horses, and 7 chickens.

Completely new to the caprine world.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Theresa

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I googled it. It looks like Draxxin is used for respitory infections in pigs as well as cattle. I have not used it or even heard of it until now. Here is what I found.

DRAXXIN, tulathromycin, is the first entry of a novel macrolide subclass, the triamilides, developed by Pfizer Animal Health. DRAXXIN is now the first-line product-of-choice to treat pneumonia, offering both superior disease treatment as well as outstanding efficacy for the control of pneumonia in cattle at high risk of developing the disease.

A single, subcutaneous injection of 1.1 mL/100 lb. (2.5 mg/kg) of bodyweight delivers a full course of therapy, thereby minimizing labor and handling stress

Sorry, can't help you with dose or if it is good for goats or not.
Theresa

Theresa
Purebred Nubians
Rhome,TX
www.freewebs.com/dixielullaby

Old 05-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
ldoran

Sorry for my useless response!

I had googled "draxxen" and nothing came up, and I'm using Naxel, so I thought just maybe that's what you meant ... but I just re-read that you weren't sure on the spelling! That's what I get for having adult-onset ADD.

My apologies again. Hope your doe gets to feeling better.

- Lisa Doran
Marybelle Farm
McDade, Texas

Happy wife of adoring husband Jason; doting mom of two Nubian does, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 horses, and 7 chickens.

Completely new to the caprine world.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Theresa

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Lisa, no need to appologize. I had no idea what this drug was either and thought the same thing you did, that maybe it was Naxcel or a generic name for something. I had to go research it just to see. We are all here to help each other and learn. And if the computer had not given me the correct spelling, I would never had found any inforamtion.
Theresa

Theresa
Purebred Nubians
Rhome,TX
www.freewebs.com/dixielullaby

Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
dragonlair

Liked 152 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thank goodness for smart computers!

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

goatgal36
I want to Welcome you to DGI Please read your pm before posting again. Thanks
Sondra

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
Dacaree

Welcome

Dacaree
Bountiful Dairy
Paradise, TX
8 nubians, 1 LaMancha
1 minature jersey and heifer calf
4 dogs, 1 horse, 32 chickens
1 feeder steer

Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #9
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Naxcel and Excennel are the best upper respiratory drugs on the market, plus no single shot anything is going to do it for pnemonia in a goat. Most of the Long Acting information that moves antibiotics to every 36 or 48 hours or single shots simply won't stay in the blood system of our very quick metabolisim goats to work. I would want to hear some really good info on this drug, used by folks I trusted, in situations that could be duplicated before moving away from Naxcel (it's my drug of choice) EXcennel, or Nuflor.

Plus if you are finding yourself reaching for drugs like this often than vaccinate for pnemonia. Make sure your copper bolusing or have a good mineral for your area, most pnemonia comes from stress...and when you have mastitis or metritis you want to be able to use your Naxcel and not have it not work from overuse. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
mill-valley

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I asked about this on here not too long ago....I will look for the post.

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,8790.msg93756.html#msg93756

Quote:
Sent you an e-mail Leeanne.

Are Draxxin or Excede ever used in goats?

Yes. In fact my vet has been encouraging me to use Excede over Naxcel, BUT...it's 3 times more expensive than Naxcel, $320/100ml and I'm having a little anxiety about injection in the base of the ear. Besides, I have about 15 syringes of Naxcel frozen, plus an unconstituted 4gr. bottle in the refrig. Think I'll pass.

EXCEDE® (ceftiofur crystalline free acid) Sterile Suspension
Though safe in cattle when properly given, inadvertent intra-arterial injection in the ear is possible and is fatal.

DRAXXIN® (tulathromycin)
I've been reading where some boer breeders are going to Draxxin...but, I'll just wait until the juries back on that. Vet did say he didn't think it would be a good idea. Good enough for me.
Kaye

Beth Remijn
Mill-Valley Farm
ADGA Registered Alpine and Saanen Dairy Goats
www.freewebs.com/mill-valley