Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Congested Udder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
mamatomany

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Congested Udder

I have a doe who freshened with quints about 6 weeks ago. She still has congestion. I can press on it and see my impression. Definetely congested udder. Tires at the top of her teats. When it started, I did the whole vit c thing, dex for like 8 days or so and banamine. She has two boys on her. She is still congested tho? Any thoughts on what I should be doing for her. I don't need her milk, but I massage her with peppermint oil/coconut oil (I mixed), but that doesn't seem to help at all

Linda Pendrys
Shoals Creek Farm
Registered Nubians
www.shoalscreekfarm.com

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Re: Congested Udder

Have you currently tested her for CAE? It's not congestion if the udder pits when you press your finger on it, that is edema...pitting edema is when the udder has pits in it without even pressing on it, like cellulitus. 6 weeks is way on the outside in which any kind of problem like this should be over, is she loosing any circulation in the udder, it is warm? Send in a milk sample also. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
mamatomany

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No her udder is warm, and yes, she is current on her CAE from December when I pulled blood to check pregnancy. I will send in a milk sample too. I didn't realize that congestion and edema were two separate things...hmmm. always learning. Definetely not pitting adema. Her udder looks normal? I will get some samples and send them out.

Linda Pendrys
Shoals Creek Farm
Registered Nubians
www.shoalscreekfarm.com

Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Trysta

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

She may be producing way too much milk for those two kids? Have you tried milking her once a day and let 'the boys' have the rest? Even though you say you don't need the milk, a dairy animal does need to get rid of her milk, otherwise you run a huge risk of mastitis. Normally a cow/goat will adjust her production somewhat according to what you ask of her. For example: do you feed for high production or low production, but also, do you milk her out completely every milking: if not, she will lower her production eventually. Still, if she genetically is a high producer, she may not be able to bring her production down resulting in problems. I have does that freshen and give me half a gallon of Colostrum right upon kidding: never had kids that could drink all of that, so I milk a little (freeze it for emergencies) and leave the rest to the kiddos (if I leave them with the doe). These same does are going on increasing their production and a doe peaking at over a gallon of milk a day, will just over produce for a few kids, and therefore can run into trouble.

Normally a cow/goat with edema should get rid of that after a few good milkings and (if needed) some dexamethasone, so I'd be worried if the edema is still there 6 wks into her lactation.

Marion Venema, East Leroy, MI
Saanen, LaMancha, Nubians