You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Dairygoatinfo.com    
Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Comparing Dairy Goat Breeds?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Pinky

Default Comparing Dairy Goat Breeds?

How do I make a good decision to narrow down which breed of goat to start looking into? The alpines, lamanchas, toggs and nubians all sound appealing! What made you decide on your particular breed?

Missy in the midwest.
Milkmaid to a Jersey Cow 

Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
pokyone42

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Re: Comparing Dairy Goat Breeds?

What are you looking for? What breed appeals to you the most? If you like them all, get a few of each!

Sally
Hann-Yauk Hill
Boer crosses and a few Alpines
Cameron Mills, NY

Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

One or two breeds are ok but getting too many doesn't help you when you try to get improvements to your herd and still keep the numbers reasonable. You have to decide what is your ultimate goal.

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga

Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Pinky

I just want to get two at this point because I will be handmilking. I want calm dispositions since we have children. Our sheep are so skiddish and I don't want goats that run from me, but I also don't want a goat like my cow that wants to dominate me either. The goats are for table milk and higher butterfat sounds like it makes for tastier milk. We just want good tasting milk which I understand has to do with my handling and what I feed the goats, but I figure the amount of butterfat also makes a difference. I've read nubians can be stubborn and if that's true, they are out. I don't want any battles in my barn. I've read Lamanchas are super friendly and calm and alpines are supposed the best producers?

Missy in the midwest.
Milkmaid to a Jersey Cow 

Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Caprine Beings

Liked 193 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 173

And it helps to know if you are going in for production or show. We have alpines and nubians. since the arrival of Mercedes our goal for the nubians is show. Our alpines need some work, well except for our buck, but their production is WOW! So we are not to a show level with our alpines...YET!
And if you ask Camille (wheytogosaanens) she'll tell you Saanens are the way to go for production...I have to agree-hers would beat any of mine any day.
Alpines are attitudinal but can be very loving and like to be boss. Nubians are very nice tempered (can be Prima Donnas as well)animals for the most part but can be loud. Dunno about the other breeds. Tammy

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
pokyone42

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I was just joking about getting some of each...
I have some Alpines and Boers. The Alpines are WONDERFUL with people, but pretty nasty to other goats...
I think Nubians have the highest butterfat...... (I had a few in the past) They were pretty mellow with the other goats, and very friendly, too.
You are interested in milk goats, so I won't bother to discuss the Boers, except to tell you that they are pretty mellow and sweet.

Sally
Hann-Yauk Hill
Boer crosses and a few Alpines
Cameron Mills, NY

Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
MRFBarbara

Go to a local goat show, meet some people and ask then why they chose the breed they have..
This way you also get to sit and watch the goats and see all the breeds... Talk to some of the breeders and they will tell you what they like best about their chosen breeds..
Barb

Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
cariboujaguar

Nubians can be a pain if you don't choose what herds to buy from carefully! I have bought nubians from some lines/herds where they were just a PAIN! Then other herds are sooo sweet! I would buy from a breeder who will let you milk the goat you are considering or at least let you watch her be milked... because I think, although some breeds DO have certain traits, it's mainly about the breeder; strong culling herds only offer exceptional animals who're easy to deal with and nice across the board, they care about the breed and anything not worth selling/breeding is sent to auction...

Ashley
Washington
Purebred registered Nubians and now Saanens!
http://www.wix.com/larkkacres/Larkk-Acres

Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
SALTCREEK_Nubians_Linda

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Of course, I love Nubians, and their milk is delicious and if the breeder selects animals for the breeding herd that are great and culls hard, then you're going to get some pretty nice animals. Yes, they can be loud, but they can also be very affectionate and will stand patiently chewing her cud while she's being milked. They do give milk with the highest butterfat and they are big girls. Having said all of that, I have heard that if you just want to dairy with goats that LaManchas have the best conversion of feed to milk of all the breeds. I have heard that. I don't KNOW it for a fact though.

Nubians are woman's best friend

http://www.saltcreek-nubians.webs.com

Find me on Facebook.  Linda Myers    Saltcreek Nubians

Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Sondra

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

I have both Nubians and LaMancha and of course my mini LaManchas All of them are wonderful and I have good rich milk from my Mini's and the docil laid back attitude. But have to say my Nubians are absolutly wonderful and friendly /great producers I see nothing stubborn abt them only one is a loud mouth and that is usually when someone else is bothering her or dinner time. The LaMancha will out produce them all but not as rich milk tho it tastes wonderful If you only have one choice and you want a docile laid back goat that is usually quiet then go for the LaMancha

Sondra Peterson
A2Z Dairy Goats
Nubian/LaMancha/Mini Mancha
Azle, TX
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
www.freewebs.com/mldga