Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Cocci treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Island Creek Farm

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cocci treatment

We are two weeks past the last date of cocci treatment. Doeling is eating *nearly* a lb a day of medicated feed. Cocci starting to show up in fecals again. Should we do a preventative treatment at 21 days or a true treatment since she had a heavy burden before?

Also seeing quite a few Liver Fluke eggs 10 days post Ivomec Plus...why? We gave her 1.7cc oral for a 50lb doeling. Doesn't that mean that it didn't kill the adults?

Amanda
Island Creek Farm
French, American and Grade Alpines
A Californian lost in Alabama

Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 332 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Re: Cocci treatment

Very unlikely without a really good microscope and some years of doing fecals that you are picking up liverflukes in any kind of number. It is likely HC. Perhaps run a photo to Lee or Ashley and see what they think?

If the bloodlevel of the drug in the feed is enough (and you do have to call the mill to find out the dosage...1 pound of grain per 30 pounds of goat? 1 pound for 50 pounds? (Those are the two I have fed) why I moved to the rumensin feed it is 1 per 50. With a feed through you should see no cocci on the slide, same with a sulfa, now with Corid, yes you are, but you can't distinguish between lifecycles, so although you can see occysts on the slide the kid is fine. We see no cocci on slide during prevention, and on feed through little to no, maybe 1 or 2 per slide each month. A outbreak is hundres per slide, to many to count or multiply out into the thousands. So something is going on with the feed, or her immunity. And IVermectin Plus doesn't get HC for me. It would bring down the numbers but it would not kill adults, anemia worsens and the numbers in fecal are back in 21 days, meaning mama worm is sucking blood and laying more eggs. You may have liverflukes so bad, or a kind of liverflukes you have to use the other protocol for Ivermectin Plus, 3 days in a row. You will have to search for Kaye Whites dosages, it is what she does. I have never had to use it.

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Island Creek Farm

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good microscope, but still having to identify from a sheet (like I said, it's hard for me to differentiate!). If this is HC, what works? She went through a 30 day treatment, Quest, Quest in 10 days, then Ivomec Plus 10 days later. Learned my lesson, doing fecals on everything right away, no matter what previous owners said! Let this one slide, so now making up for it. Using 1lb/50lb goat...doesn't seem to be working, though I understand you're right on not knowing the stages of the oocysts. I AM seeing them though, not near as many as before though. Thinking either she really isn't eating enough of the feed or I need to do another preventative round of Dimethox.

eggs.jpg  

Amanda
Island Creek Farm

Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
shawhee

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't see the cap on the end like a liver fluke. To me that looks like stomach worm. Haemonchus contortus.

Shawna
Nun-Uddr-Dan Dairy Goats
LaManchas

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
MF-Alpines

Liked 256 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

What is your the strength of the lens you are looking through? It's hard to relate size from the pic, but I would say HC, as well. How eggs are you seeing on the slide or what is the EPG? If enough, I'd go with Cydectin.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Ashley

Liked 131 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 76

How many are you seeing? Quest and Cydectin are the same active ingredient. So you used 1 cc per 100 lbs quest twice in a row 10 days apart then Ivermectin Plus? I would expect that to work. How are the eyelids? Do you copper bolus?

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently taking reservations for 2014!

Layton Hollow Nubians

Natural Pet food www.naturespets.com
ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...

Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Island Creek Farm

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
How many are you seeing? Quest and Cydectin are the same active ingredient. So you used 1 cc per 100 lbs quest twice in a row 10 days apart then Ivermectin Plus? I would expect that to work. How are the eyelids? Do you copper bolus?
Yes, we used Quest, small herd, cheaper than Cydectin. We haven't copper bolused her yet, was waiting to impose that indignity on her once we got her through all this. She is anemic, with bottle jaw (still), been 21 days since beginning cocci treatment, and 10 days since the last worming.

Amanda
Island Creek Farm

Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Ashley

Liked 131 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I would go ahead and copper bolus (should take just 10 seconds, no biggie... or put in her food if she is difficult) and give a bo-se if she were my goat. Then I would get some GI soother from fir meadows and start her on a good dose of that and give it for 1-3 months. It has herbs that help recover from anemia.

Or, instead of the copper bolus and bo-se, it might be better to give that mineral shot.. I'm forgetting the name darn it. Multi min? I've not used it before so I'm not as familiar with it. But it has copper, zinc, selenium etc. It's been talked about on here. I think Lee has used it.

Located in the Ozarks of Arkansas
Raising Nubian Dairy goats with one lamancha... and one very spoiled Togg.

Currently taking reservations for 2014!

Layton Hollow Nubians

Natural Pet food www.naturespets.com
ashley@naturespets.com

Pro 12:10  A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ...