Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Castration - Did I do it right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
swgoats

Liked 351 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Default Castration - Did I do it right?

I did my first castration today, and I'm looking for feedback. I was taught by the vet, read about it on here, and had my husband help who has done piglets years ago. So I cut through the sack and popped out the testicles just fine, but when I tried to jerk them, I couldn't get them to come away. I couldn't really find an obvious cord, so I just sawed away far from the ball part. What came away looked like an intact testicle. My husband said I did it right. There was some bleeding. It seemed to me the bleeding was coming from the cords which I never got a good look at. it would fill the sack and the where the sack had clotted would open back out. My husband said it was not too much bleeding, and that some bleed more than others. But there continues to be a little bit of blood on the straw or on his legs. Am I just being a nervous Nelly or is there something I could have done better? He was two weeks old. I meant to do it at a week old, but he was so tiny I didn't think it would hurt to wait.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
fmg

Liked 315 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I helped a friend with some older kids that had testicles too big to fit in the bander (a couple of them fit if we squeezed 1 through first, then the other, but some were too big for that too). I did the cutting, and she held the kids. When I got the bottom of the scrotum off, I pulled out one testicle at a time, and used both hands to stretch the cords in opposite directions, repeat on other side. There was minimal bleeding because the vessels are stretched that way, and we would have known if they bled a lot-they were white saanens.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
alpines, mini alpines, and Nigerian dwarfs
Finnsheep, llamas
www.swfarm.net

Old 05-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Horsehair Braider

Liked 108 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

For next time... *don't wait*.

When you pull the testicle, put your hand against the goat and pull. It's the stretching and pulling breaking the cord that results in no blood. If you cut it, you will get some blood but he will be fine, so don't worry - but the stretching and snapping makes the blood vessels seal up so you don't have blood.

Also by pulling you will make SURE that you got everything. If you leave bits behind it can cause behavioural issues. He will act like a buck but not be able to breed. The reason most people wether is because they do not like the buck behaviour. In horses they call it "proud cut" and it can be problematic.

It's hard to say if you got everything, but next time, do it younger and pull the testical out, don't cut it. It is much safer for the goat if you pull. Time will tell on this one but in the meantime don't worry, it does not sound like he will bleed to death. If there is a lot of blood, the goat will also be depressed and stop eating and so on. I think yours will be fine.

Jacquee' Gillespie
Mora, New Mexico
Purebred Registered Nubians
Ragtime Nubians
http://www.beautiful-horses.com

Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
jasonmtapia

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I agree with Jacquee'. Pull don't cut. I have read (never had to do it) if you have to cut use the back dull side of the scalpel to go through cords. Should not be much blood if done that way. Oh and sometimes it feels like those cords go clear up to their necks!

Jason M. Tapia We have Mini Nubians, turkeys, and chickens coming out our ears and live in Santa Barbara CA

Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
swgoats

Thanks everyone! I think he's ok. He went back with mom and has been up and down, nursing, no more bleeding.

So when you pull is it supposed to break easily or is it sort of tough? I will do it sooner next time, and remember the back of the scalpel thing if I need it. I think I was just being a nervous nelly about it. I really do think I got the whole testicle cause they looked like little eggs - but we'll see I guess. Looking forward to when this new procedure is old hat

Angie (Angelia Mercer)

Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Rose

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Image search on goat testicles:
https://www.google.com/search?q=goat+testicles&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X& ei=Ir6YUZuPJ4Kc9QTX5YHgCA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280 &bih=642

Alice, aka Rose, South Central Missouri or 30 miles inland on the coastal plain of Texas
Mixed herd of LaMancha, MiniMancha, Alpine, Saanen cross, etc.
http://quirkygoatfarm.blogspot.com/

Old 05-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Horsehair Braider

Liked 108 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Yes, you need to pull hard. Hold your other hand down on the scrotum and support the goat, and PULL. You are not just pulling out the testicle but also a little tiny gland that you will have a very hard time seeing. (Epididymus.) (At least, on a very young goat it's so small it's hard to see, not that it's microscopic or something.) The way it will feel is at first it will be hard to pull, then it will get easy and feel very stretchy, and then it will snap. It takes about one second. Don't let my long description make you think it takes a long time or is at all difficult.

Jacquee' Gillespie
Mora, New Mexico
Purebred Registered Nubians
Ragtime Nubians
http://www.beautiful-horses.com

Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Tim Pruitt

Liked 153 Times on 69 Posts

DON'T CUT! Unless you are going to tie. They can bleed to death or at least go into shock. The pulling stretches the cord and constricts the blood vessels so they won't bleed to death

Tim Pruitt
701 Pruittville Dr.
Haynesville, LA 71038
timdpruitt@gmail.com
http://www.pruittvillefarms.com
Like us on FaceBook!
See our Promo Video for our farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p5EZx24qoc

Old 05-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
swgoats

I did get the gland. I thought it was fat, lol. But it did look like a gland. Ok, I was just being wimpy. I'll toughen up and pull harder next time!

Angie (Angelia Mercer)

Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
fmg

Liked 315 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 112

How could you not get the epididymis? It is attached to the side of the testicle. I don't think it's a gland really, it is basically the beginning of the spermatic cords. I don't remember it secreting anything (well, unless you count semen, but it doesn't make any part of the semen, so I dunno), and I think you have to secrete something to be a gland.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
alpines, mini alpines, and Nigerian dwarfs
Finnsheep, llamas
www.swfarm.net