Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > CAE Testing in Canada - Vet wants $70/head!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Ravenwood

Default CAE Testing in Canada - Vet wants $70/head!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I called our local vet today for a price on CAE testing. He wants $70/head!! I was anticipating $10/head. Yoinks! That is insane! I would like to try drawing the blood and submitting it myself. Can anyone give me some guidance as to where I can submit it?

Thanks in advance!

Tam
Ravenwood Ranch
~Where Quality Counts~
Breeding quality Nubians, Savanna x meat goats, Jersey family cows and Berkshire pigs

Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Cotton Eyed Does

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Re: CAE Testing in Canada - Vet wants $70/head!!!!!!

Yep, they are insane. You can send it to Pan American Vet Labs Probably need to overnight it or 2 day with ice packs.
http://www.pavlab.com/services/index.html

Christy Benge Edwards
Find me on Facebook

Cotton Eyed Does Dairy Goats
1 Boer Doe, 2 Nubian x Boer doelings
Holstein X heifers, Jersey bull
http://www.freewebs.com/cottoneyeddoes

Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I am sure you could also use area labs that test Elissa. The pulling blood site is still up on goatkeeping 101, if you did it one time you would feel stupid for thinking it is difficult! Especially if you have help like she does with someone holding their head straight up like that. Just go out and try, not even expecting to save the blood, so you can see for yourself just how easy it is. Shave the neck if they are super hairy for your first couple of draws. $70 each is usery plain and simple, I would ask him why and never use him again. Especially when it's the vet tech going to do it and what do they make? Even at one goat per 5 mintues I want to work there if it's costing $70 a head Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
Kalne

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep....before we knew how to do this ourselves we paid that to have one done. It's insane.

Kathy
Nubian and Kinder dairy goats
www.LomahAcres.com

Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Patty13637

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wish you were close to me I would just come and pull it . I am near Kingston Ontario . If you ever head down this way I am just over the border in the US and would be glad to show you how.

Patty

Raising Saanen Goats , Icelandic Sheep , Czech imported German Shepherds , North Country Cheviot Sheep and Great Pyrenees LGD

www.MilkMadeSoapsandLotions.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/MilkMadeFarm

Old 01-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Ravenwood

I'm not worried about the pulling part as I am sure I can manage. I just can't find anywhere to send it. I've asked many area breeders and nobody seems to know where to send it...they just have the vet do it and that's that.

Tam
Ravenwood Ranch
~Where Quality Counts~
Breeding quality Nubians, Savanna x meat goats, Jersey family cows and Berkshire pigs

Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
NubianSoaps.com

Tam look at that answer they are giving you logically...how would you not know, the test results are important you would have them in hand. They aren't testing. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Keeperofmany

Send a message via MSN to Keeperofmany

Hi. I have to be inclined to agree with Vicki. It doesn't seem to matter who I ask, they don't test. I am to having such a problem. Mostly when I ask people if they test for CAE and CL they ask me what that is. Are they really that dumb or just want to act like it.

Wendy

LONESOME OAK HOLLOW
Nubian & Mini Nubian
Rouen Ducks & Various Show Bantams
Rhode Island Reds ( Standard )

Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 AM   #9
Ravenwood

There is not a lab here that does CAE testing in our province. We have to send out of province and hence the reason the labs which normally charge $7-9/sample crank their prices up to $25-35/sample for out-of-province samples. Its absolutely ridiculous. I have serious, serious doubts that I could send blood south of the border for testing.

Oh, I know they don't test!!! I'd say 95% of producers out here do not test, and that is probably being generous. They'll either flat out lie or say they don't know. Its really frustrating. I was speaking to one "breeder" about her goats. She was gushing about bloodlines and her "clean" herd. I asked which lab she gets her testing done through and she stammered and said "That is something you should decide on with your vet". Later in the conversation she admitted that since she bought goats from "herds that test" she was safe. I happen to know that some of those goats have passed through several hands before stopping at her door, often through herds that don't test. To top it off she started telling me about a doe she had with CL. Yes, that is a mighty clean herd you have there!!!

Some have admitted that $70/head is just too much to pay and they just rely on prevention. I can testing being a pretty big investment for, say, a 30 doe herd. But at the same time I feel I can't afford NOT to test. *sigh* Its really frustrating.

My dilemma is this...I have a commercial meat herd and a purebred Nubian show herd. I am willing to shell out the cash to have my Nubian herd done. I was really, really hoping to get ALL of my goats (commercial meat herd included) tested this year. That way I can cull accordingly and strive for CAE negative status of ALL goats on my property. My meat herd and milk herd are separate aside from sharing one fenceline (tight woven mesh). It seems to me that it may be a waste to test the Nubians w/o testing the meat herd. That leaves such an "unknown" lurking on the other side of the fence, know what I mean? But how in creation am I going to afford to test my whole meat herd at those prices?? Ohhhh, I am really flustered about it. I'm actually tempted to sell off the entire meat herd to eliminate the possibility of disease transfer. Mind you, they are a closed herd that originated from embryo transplant stock so its not like they are a bunch of auction mart scrubs or anything and I have never had an abcess on my place. Its still frustrating not knowing about the CAE.

Tam
Ravenwood Ranch
~Where Quality Counts~

Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
NubianSoaps.com

For that price you could afford to put up another fence so there is a mowable alleyway between both herds. I would start testing my Nubians this year as they kid, send in colostrum on everyone who kids, send in blood in the spring on all the milkers you are keeping. Raise the kids out on CAE prevention that you do...heat treat colostrum and pasteurise milk..yourself, so you know there is not one mistake made in the process or someone else feeding raw milk. You start just like all of us started, test and cull.

There certainly isn't much demand for tested boers, but you know you could carve yourself out a really good niech herd with having tested negative animals, in your dairy herd.

There is a lab that tests Ellissa for CAE because every HIV and any other autoimmune test ran on humans or livestock, except WSU's comes from France and is exactly the same. How about joining your district list on yahoo.com for ADGA and asking who they test with in Canada....same on Nubian Talk.

I would also found out myself if you can send blood or colostrum (and with colostrum how would the mail know?) even with blood, if you make a styrofoam box and wrap it with foil then box it, you can not feel that something cold is inside the box as you ship it to the states. But do find out the info on your own because I can't believe getting lab work done on animals is illegal across the border.

Until you can test, use prevention in your dairy stock. Anyone positive put them out with the boers. Or...since most folks who test for the first times do have positive stock, what are you going to do with them? Not that you have to answer this Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas