You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Dairygoatinfo.com    
Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Breeding Nubians

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
SANDQ

Liked 86 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Breeding Nubians

I have another question about Nubians, how long and from when to when is the Nubian breeding season?
The reason for asking is that our goats go out in a communal flock every day that has a buck running with them 365 days a year. I have read that the Nubian breeding season is longer than other breeds, and I would not want my pure blood Nubians covered by a local breed buck as this defeats the object of buying several pure blood nubian does and a pure blood buck to breed with them.

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
swgoats

Liked 352 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

It's pretty long. I've personally bred goats as early as July and as late as February. That's 8 months. I can't promise they couldn't bread the other 4 months. That's just the extremes I've tested.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Horsehair Braider

Liked 108 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I've been told they can breed pretty much any time of the year. That has been my experience as well, but keep in mind that I live at a very high altitude. Every night of the year, no matter what, it is cold here at night... and it is cold nights that help goats to cycle. So... your mileage may vary... but I've had them breed pretty much any time I put them with a buck.

Jacquee' Gillespie
Mora, New Mexico
Purebred Registered Nubians
Ragtime Nubians
http://www.beautiful-horses.com

Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
swgoats

I bred one Nubian doe in July in Texas, so I bet they don't even need the cold nights!

Angie (Angelia Mercer)

Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
fmg

Liked 327 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Any goat CAN cycle any time of year. I would not put a doe with a buck, unless I wanted them to breed or they were already bred, period. You could breed your does first, then wait another cycle to be sure they took and then let them back with the community flock.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Alpine and Nigerian dwarf goats
www.swfarm.net

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
SANDQ

In an ideal world I would like to be in a position to breed all year round, as we are cheesemakers this would mean constant sales. The Nubian clearly is the best breed for us, as it stands now, without a great deal of investment our infrastructure is not at all suited to year round breeding and the Bulgarian winter climate is also a major factor on how we manage our breeding program.
Nancy, since we have had our own buck ( 2 years now ) the method you suggest we have been doing, we seperate our buck from our does on the 1st of September, from the 24th we keep our does in and reintroduce our buck back to them, creating the buck effect ( as they run every day with the communal buck all the other goats in the village, come into eostrus a lot later than ours as there is no buck efect with them ) We keep our does in untill we are sure they have been covered, eg no more cycles, then out they go again. The dates we have chosen are climate and market related, for a March kidding season, as the weather then, is more suited to goats and humans alike and the 5th of May, Bulgarian public holiday, where it is the custom to eat goat, by then ours our usually up to the prefered slaughter weight.
Now, putting nubians into this equation, puts the spanner in the works, unless we keep them in from July, this is not really what we want to do for economic reasons, but it may come to it.
So, could we use CIDR on our nubians to synchronise oestrus for when we want it, not when they want it? I suppose, Im really asking, can I use CIDR as a contraceptive.

SALLY AND QUENTIN, English couple living in Bulgaria . We have a small herd of goats, and we produce a range of dairy products for sale. You can find us at www.facebook.com/cherrytreegoats
Owners of the motley crew; 4 Anglo Nubian does 1 Anglo Nubian buck, 1 Bulgarian White Dairy buck ( basically a Saanen ) 1, 75% BWD buck, 8 cross bred BWD/local breed does and 5 local breed does.

Last edited by SANDQ; 07-22-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
fmg

CIDR is technically pretty much a contraceptive, but you can only leave in for 3 weeks at the LONGEST because it will start causing vaginal irritation. Hm, not sure what a good solution would be for you. Someone has got to have had a similar issue to you. Maybe you could make them some kind of chastity belt? LOL.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
www.swfarm.net

Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
SANDQ

Thats what I thought about CIDR, I tried to post a link but it didnt work, if you google " birth control goats smallholder " there is a very interesting article about contolling ferrel goats in England by using a contraceptive injection developed in the US. But no further information about the drug used or where to get it.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
swgoats

Hmm... Does the buck *have* to go with the herd? Could you offer to house him and feed him during the day - maybe with your buck as a friend? It would be cheaper for you to feed the one buck than several does. The the other families don't want their does bred at that time, then what would it matter to them? And it would create the buck effect for the communal does when he's reintroduced which might be a selling point too?

Angie (Angelia Mercer)

People Like This 
Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
fmg

That's a good idea, Angie.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
www.swfarm.net

MF-Alpines Likes This