You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Dairygoatinfo.com    
Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Bottle Feeding- Nipples

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
KozaGirl

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via MSN to KozaGirl
Default Bottle Feeding- Nipples

I know this is horrible, but I am still very new at this and learning LOTS day by day!! We had regular human bottles on hand when our new babies came home with us this past Monday, so that is what we used for one day. I picked up a couple of the black lamb/goat nipples the next day, and we put those over a soda bottle. Today I picked up a couple of Pritchards and I am disgusted- not sure if at the nipples, or at myself!! We switched from the human nipples because they seemed to slip out of their mouth a lot. Then the black ones just seemed too big for their mouth, which is why I bought the Pritchards today. BUT THEY LEAK EVERYWHERE!!! If I can get my DH (6'6" 300 lbs) to screw the caps down really tight, they won't leak around the cap, but then still leak around the nipple, under the rim of the plastic thingie... both nipples do the exact same thing. I am frustrated with having to switch around on them, and I am tired of smelling like spoiled milk at the end of every day!!! Can someone please shed some light on this for me? (the babies are nubians and were born on this past Sunday)

Diana
Missouri
Nubians for Milk

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Caprine Beings

Liked 193 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Default Re: Bottle Feeding- Nipples

I have had extremely good luck using lambar nipples. They are grey and pop onto a pop bottle as well. I put a hole in the base of the pop bottle nipples to allow for air. When they are transitioned to the lambar it doesn't take long and they are eating away.
Tam

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 02-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Rockinddtoggs

I agree with Tammy. We may start with the first feeding being from the human baby bottles then move to the lamb bar nipples. Much easier to use than the black nipples to put on the soda bottles. Good luck!

Amy Easley
Extreme North East Washington State

Breeding Fr & Am Alpines, Nubians, Lamanchas and 1 Togg.

Mother to 1-5 year old girl and 1-3 year old boy.

Grade A Raw Milk and cheese Dairy.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Faithful Crown Nubians

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Send a message via AIM to Faithful Crown Nubians

Lambar nipples are the ONLY kind I use for the kids. We use them from the first time the kid nurses until they are weaned. I find once they get on one kind, they won't take the others very easily. Done that before and I do not like fighting the kids to get them to switch.

Amy
Faithful Crown Dairy Goats
ADGA Purebred Registered Nubians
http://fcdairygoats.weebly.com

Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
Tracy in Idaho

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do your Pritchards have the little ball bearing in the hole under the nipple? If it is missing, they will leak.

I use the Lambar nipples on bottles as well. Even the smallest kids can latch on to them. I do occasionally use the Pritchards for a first feeding if a kid is being really stubborn or pathetic.

Soldier Mountain Alpines
http://soldiermountainalpines.com
Central Idaho

Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 339 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 211

That is why I don't like Pritchards, your running around trying to find a bottle that threads the same as this nipple, and if it doesn't you will ruin your nipple threads or it will leak. Also you either cut the hole in the nipple to big or to small. Your supposed to make and X in those pointy ends of the nipple, that isn't easy to do, you don't just cut it off. I tube if I get a small kid who doesn't suck, but it's always lambar nipples from the beginning otherwise, this way it's not confusing to the kid when they move to their new home with a lambar nipple going with them, or when I move them to a lambar bucket, same nipple.

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Natural Beauty Farm

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Make sure the plastic cap ring is removed from the bottle too. I grabbed a bottle this year and couldn't figure out why it was leaking until I realized the ring was not snapped off.

Trey and the rest of the crew raising Nubians with ears so big a strong wind might just send them into the air over VA.
Home of TWO 2010 TOP TEN Milkers

http://www.flyingfarmnubians.com

Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Anita Martin

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The first year I had babies I started them on Pritchard nipples. Or rather, I TRIED to start them on Pritchard nipples. I thought the grey (or sometimes they are black) lambar nipples were too big for newborns. Those pritchards have got to be about the worst invention ever. I'm sure some people have good luck with them, or buy them with the hopes of having good luck with them, but I HATE getting milk all over the place, and could never get them stop leaking, so I gave up.

Everybody gets started on the lambar nipples right away and so far no problems at all. Course, I only kid out 5-7 does each year, but in about 17 kiddings, they've all taken to the lambar nipple without any trouble. I kept those stupid pritchards, "just in case".

Shantara Acres Alpine Dairy Goats
Brookneal, Virginia
ladyrings@aol.com
www.shantaraacres.com
www.shantarassoaps.etsy.com
www.totalbalancenaturalhoofcare.com
http://shantara.wordpress.com

Old 02-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
goatkid

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pritchard nipples only work without leaking if you use the old style pop bottles. I know the Pepsi ones worked for me last year as did one brand of bottled water. This year, I used a Nestea bottle to get one of my bucklings started. Mom is now raising him. I also have those nonvac nipples from Hoegers and also use lambar nipples.

Kathie
Zirngibl Dairy Goats
Nubians and Recorded Grades

Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
KozaGirl

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via MSN to KozaGirl

Thanks, everyone. We bought some 12 oz Dr. Peppers today, and they screwed on just fine. They still leak a little out of the little vent hole... so the next order I place for supplies, I will get lambar nipples. I don't see us using the lambar bucket- I think we will continue to bottle feed...
we just have the 2 babies, and they are inside until we make up a kid pen outside.

Diana
Missouri
Nubians for Milk