Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Bo-Se vs. vitamin E/selenium gel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
prairiegirl01

Default Bo-Se vs. vitamin E/selenium gel

I asked this question in another posting on copper, but it occurred to me too late that maybe it should be a new topic. Sorry about that.

So the question is this, can I use the vit.E/selenium gel instead of the Bo-Se shot? I'd rather use an oral med than a shot if I can.

Thanks!

Chris

Christine Sullivan Kelley
Valley Grove Farm
Nerstrand, MN
Oberhasli

Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
BlissBerry

Default Re: Bo-Se vs. vitamin E/selenium gel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegirl01
So the question is this, can I use the vit.E/selenium gel instead of the Bo-Se shot? I'd rather use an oral med than a shot if I can.
Thanks!
Chris
No. I notice that you are located in Minnesota. BoSe is necessary in our area.

Giving injections is something that you need to learn and be confident in giving. Bose, antibiotics, vitamins, etc., all must be given as an injection so it is best you feel comfortable giving them. Practice makes perfect.

Sara

Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
rg1950

Giving shots can seem scary at first, but after doing it 2-3 times, it gets easier. Once you have been giving shots for a while, it will be so easy, you will laugh for ever being nervous . Then you can show all your friends how to give shots. I have loaned meds to goat owners who have never given shots and they always seem so intimidated at first. They always call afterwards and tell me how easy it really was. I agree with Sara, practice makes perfect.

Tara

Green Acres Goat Farm
Family Owned and Operated by:
Ron & Carla Golden and Tara Golden Green
Selling: Registered and unregistered Nubians and Boers. www.greenacresgoatsfarm.com

Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
prairiegirl01

I can do the shots if I have to, but I have two concerns. One is that the last time I gave my whether a vaccination he ended up with an abcess at the injection site (Covexin and so I didn't want to create a new site for potential infection, and two, with this staph infection on my doe I was thinking that that would be all I needed to somehow introduce staph into the injection sites. I shouldn't worry about this? And yes, I use sterile technique.

Why is Bo-Se so much better?

Chris

Christine Sullivan Kelley
Valley Grove Farm
Nerstrand, MN
Oberhasli

Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Tim Pruitt

Liked 171 Times on 74 Posts

Are any of you finding it difficult to obtain Bo-Se? I have been to 2 Vets in my area and have not been able to purchase any. They were going to order it but so far are unable to get it for me.

Tim Pruitt
701 Pruittville Dr.
Haynesville, LA 71038
timdpruitt@gmail.com
http://www.pruittvillefarms.com
Like us on FaceBook!
See our Promo Video for our farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p5EZx24qoc

Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I will ask Tim...do you want me to send you a bottle if I find it?

Once again....bo-se, copper, worms it's all the same. Start with bo-se we know the dosage, when to give it and perhaps with a local mentor you may even find that our 1cc per 40 pounds isn't enough for your area. Then run a blood test, give the gel, make sure and use a syringe so you know exactly how much you gave her and the mg/kg of selenium that was in the gel, since I am sure there are several brands. Then run another blood test...did it rise the level?

I know for my herd 1cc per 40 pounds is minimal it raises the blood level but not for very long...but we also don't have true defficnecy here in healthy animals. So I give more than 1cc per 40 pounds of bo-se to sick goats, new goats and to kids at birth...but for everything else I give 1cc per 40 pounds.

So for your herd you will have to do the legwork to see if you can use the gel, otherwise your does will be defficient in selenium but also you are wasteing your money.

When on forums always ask when you hear information like this...do you fecal to know that wormer works? What worms are problems in your herd? Have you ran a test to see if Bo-se is needed? Has the selenium gel worked for you, how much did it rise the blood? Because you are going to quickly find that alot of folks simply parrot information they have heard, then you read it enough you think it's true.

I do not mean for one second, my way is the only right way....I just think when asking questions which concern your livestock and your pocketbook, ask the right questions. Because that is the one thing the internet can't do for you...get you into my barn, leaning on the milkstand, while you see my goats and talk goats. Because if you look out and see they look horrid, you wouldn't listen...right?

I am mostly saying this because the person I know on the internet who gives this gel information is new herself, doesn't test and is guessing. vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
mill-valley

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Chances are giving BoSe will not leave an abscess. My girls get lumps more often than not where their CDT shot goes, and never have gotten one after BoSe. I have given a lot of injections, so I know my "technique" is not to blame. I think mostly because the vaccine goes SQ and the BoSe goes IM, in the muscle. I also wouldn't worry about the staph, to be on the safe side you could wash the area with a little chlorhexidine on a cotton ball as that will kill staph. However, Staph aureus I believe lives on the skin anyway, it's a poor immune system that causes an infection. The bacteria is always there. (At least that's how it is in humans).

Beth Remijn
Mill-Valley Farm
ADGA Registered Alpine and Saanen Dairy Goats
www.freewebs.com/mill-valley

Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Kaye White

Learn to read lables. If your jel doesn't have 2.19mg of sodium selenite (equivalent to 1mg selenium AND 50mg vitamin E...then your wasting money and time.
I doubt if it does, (and I don't have time right now to look your gel up) as most Rx items are MUCH stronger concentrate than over the counter.
Kaye

Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 337 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 211

It would be a super cool thing to do though perhaps a science fair project?

But alas, Kaye has a way of coming on and sqishing your dreams...with gentamycin in the pig section of jeffers!!! NOPE! You would have to give the whole vial

Plus with the gel, the rumen degrades alot of oral meds when it is connected to a healthy adult...kids it's much easier to get by the rumen and use oral meds. Vicki

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Tricia

Chris -- I thought about using the gel at one point, too, and called the manufacturer for clarification on the dosage. It's a little coy on the labelling. The product rep I talked to said that it was designed to be given daily. Pretty expensive and I'm not sure the person I spoke with really knew the efficacy of the product.

Tricia Smith
Carlisle Farmstead Cheese | Shadowfax Oberhasli
Carlisle MA