Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Beet Pulp Pellets vs Shreds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
smithurmonds

Liked 114 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Default Beet Pulp Pellets vs Shreds

We are supplementing with beet pulp and the feed store was out of shreds last time so we purchased pellets. Is there anything to take into consideration with pellets vs. shreds or is it essentially the same product?

Also, we're working to get one of our bucks into show condition without piling on the grain. We've upped the alfalfa and added beet pulp and he's putting on condition beautifully. I don't see any references to beet pulp being an issue with bucks, but thought I'd triple check that I'm not in the process of creating a problem for myself. Beet pulp is ok for bucks, too?

ADGA LaManchas
Hand Crafted Goat Milk Soap
North Georgia
www.smithurmonds.com

Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
skeeter

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Send a message via MSN to skeeter Send a message via Yahoo to skeeter
Default Re: Beet Pulp Pellets vs Shreds

I feed my wethers and bucks beet pulp pellets everyday and have never had an issue with it at all. I like the pellets because I can mix them with their alfalfa pellets and they don't contain molasses.

Jill
Oregon Coast Range
Working pack goats and experimental pack goat breeding stock.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
smithurmonds

Thanks Skeeter! I've never come across anything in my reading suggesting they're a problem for bucks, but thought I'd make sure. We've been really happy with the results so far and so are they: they think they're getting grained.

ADGA LaManchas
North Georgia
www.smithurmonds.com

Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
nightskyfarm
DGI_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use shreds because that is what the horses eat, so I get that for all. I didn't know there were pellets. Would you soak pellets too, like I do the shreds for the horses?

Jennifer Downey - The farmer puts in a long day, but the cheese-maker's day is endless.

Grade A Dairy & Cheese Room. I raise Reg. Alpine, Saanen, Nubian and La Mancha dairy goats, as well as assorted poultry (chickens and Heritage turkey), peafowl, 4 equines and of course 3 children! And 2 loverly Jersey cows, Emily & Annabelle Clover due in May.

www.nightskyfarm.com
www.nightskyfarm.wordpress.com
www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&seller

Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
helmstead

I always fed shreds to horses unsoaked, only ever worried about soaking the pellets.

I ASSUME that goats chew the pellets well enough to avoid soaking those - not to mention my goats would never dream of eating something mushy =P However when we used beet pulp for goats, we bought the shredded variety 'just because' I'm a worry wart.

Kate
Helmstead Miniature Goats
www.helmsteadstables.com/goats.htm

Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 339 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Both the shreds and pellets have molassas as an ingredient out here. I feed them soaked in hot water for the old girls and feed them straight unsoaked to the goats. Jennifer the big ole single stomached horse being fed beet pulp that turn into a sponge in horses and can impact a gut isn't even a consideration in a goat/ruminant. But boy do the girls love their hot soaked beet pulp water and shreds!

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
helmstead

Vicki, come talk to my goats about eating their mush, would ya? =D They just sniff mashes and stare at me like I've totally lost it...

Kate
Helmstead Miniature Goats
www.helmsteadstables.com/goats.htm

Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
skeeter

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Send a message via MSN to skeeter Send a message via Yahoo to skeeter

I've never soaked the pellets, just put them out as they come in the bag. No one has ever choked on them, not even the littles that scavenge the crumbs. I have never seen any indication that they would be prone bloat on them and as I understand it, the whole "swelling up in their stomach and bursting it" thing is just a wives tale.
I've been very happy with the condition my boys stay in using beet pulp. They seem to put on more lean muscle mass than before and I'm seeing better endurance on the trails.

Jill
Oregon Coast Range
Working pack goats and experimental pack goat breeding stock.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
smithurmonds

I had intended to get the shreds, but they weren't available. Although, I will say, the pellets are taking up a lot less space where we store feed. Storing 200 lbs of the shreds would have been a challenge for us!

Both the shreds and the pellets contain a "small amount" of molasses, according to the manufacturer, because it's part of the drying process when the pulp is processed but it's not added when they make the actual feed. What a small amount might be I haven't a clue. Maybe that's why they're gobbling them up so!

Kate, we are feeding them unsoaked as well and they do seem to be chewing the pellets.

ADGA LaManchas
North Georgia
www.smithurmonds.com

Old 07-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
dragonlair

Liked 156 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I prefer the pellets because they are easier to store and cheaper. My animals like them better. The molasses is like 1% or something like that because it is part of the process, as was mentioned, not added. I feed it to my goats and horses, but I soak it. The shreds are easier to soak. None of my critters will eat them dry, so I set them to soak the feeding time before I need to feed them, so they are ready when I need them. That stuff was a Godsend for the older animals who couldn't chew hay and it kept my bucks in great shape even during rut.

Sully
DragonLair Farm in Central Maine. Nubian, Lamancha and Oberhasli dairy goats, 3 horses, 10 dogs, 2 cats, 5 Guinea fowl and not sure how many chickens.