Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Barn lime

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
nlhayesp

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Barn lime

I have a simple question, but can't find the answer. I have used hydrated lime from TSC when cleaning the barn. They also sell a product called "barn lime" which is crushed limestone. What is the difference and what product works best at keeping the flies down?

Nancy: alpines,nubians, and boers, along with dorper, katahadin, and Royal White sheep, and two English Shephed dogs in Central Ohio

Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
smithurmonds

Liked 114 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Default Re: Barn lime

I was under the impression that hydrated lime (sometimes called quick lime) is not safe. It's dolomitic lime (sometimes called barn lime or ag lime) that we use. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

ADGA LaManchas
Hand Crafted Goat Milk Soap
North Georgia
www.smithurmonds.com

Old 08-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
swgoats

Liked 351 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

They are both safe. I have used both. The hydrated is much messier though since it is a fine powder. You don't want to get it wet and let it sit on your skin. Dry it doesn't hurt you. My goats have licked it and stuck their noses in it, it didn't hurt them. I prefer working with the barn lime TSC sells. I can't say I think either cuts down on flies. Maybe I don't use enough. Chickens seem to be the most helpful.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Hydrated or slaked lime, and urine...can burn udders and vulva. It's fine for most of the year, goats rarely dig into the soil of the barn until they are kidding....imagine birth fluids and hydrated lime in the barn dirt. Use barn lime.

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
fmg

Liked 317 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I always tell the people I want the lime for barns and they give me funny looks, then get a back of hydrated lime. Then I ask if that's what people use in barns, and they tell me yes....I don't think there is a barn lime here. We do have these little bead things Sweet PDZ I think it's called, for horse stalls.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Alpine and Nigerian dwarf goats
www.swfarm.net

Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Ziggy
Buck

Liked 58 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sweet PDz is much more expensive that lime though..

French and American Alpines, Purebred Nubians -
like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/SunriseFarmNC

PM if interested in reserving an Alpine or Nubian for 2015. Most mature Alpines will be bred to the 2014 Adga Premier alpine sire - GCH Windrush Farms IRS Charmer - or the 2013 Spotlight Sale Alpine buck *B Tempo Aquila Danziger. Both these bucks have been DNA typed.Discounts available for purchasers who are ADGAPlus members or on LA or DHIR.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
smithurmonds

Liked 114 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Nancy, here the staff at places like Tractor Supply give me the same quizzical looks. They're mostly clueless- I learned not to call and ask if they have it, but just go in and find it myself. Dolomitic, not hydrated.

ADGA LaManchas
Hand Crafted Goat Milk Soap
North Georgia
www.smithurmonds.com

Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
nlhayesp

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the all of the info. I have used both products, and am currently using Barn Lime because of the cost differences (roughly 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of hydrated lime) , but I didn't want my frugality to get in the way of doing the right thing. Barm lime is easier (not a fine powder, so doesn't get in my contacts). One time when I was buying the hydrated lime at TSC, the cashier asked me "so, do you have an outhouse that stinks?" I was taken aback and wasn't quite sure what she was inferring!

Nancy: alpines,nubians, and boers, along with dorper, katahadin, and Royal White sheep, and two English Shephed dogs in Central Ohio

Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
fmg

Liked 317 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 113

The problem is that the stores here don't usually keep stuff like that on the shelf. Although at D&B I did see a bag of DE and one of hydrated lime. Still no barn lime. There's no such thing as a Tractor Supply here, but similar stores are around. i guess I will have to keep looking. The outhouse thing is weird.

Nancy
Buhl, ID
Alpine and Nigerian dwarf goats
www.swfarm.net

Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
NubianSoaps.com

Liked 335 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 211

My god I am so old! Na, we lived out here in the woods without electricty for a year, living in a travel trailer when the kids were young 2, 4 and 8, and built our house out of pocket, took 3 years. No way was I going to empty the holding tank in the trailer (I had to bucket it) so other than late nights and emergencies, you used the outhouse. We had a window, a toliet seat and a regular toilet paper holder. After you go, you open this little bucket that had a lid on it and put a scoop of lime (during the winter we used our wood ashes) over your poop

And part of my story which is funny and not about the subject, I had a UTI, my doctor asked me what color my urine was, I had to tell him I had no idea because I used an outhouse....to say he had a shocked look on his face is an understatement!

Vicki McGaugh
North of Houston Texas
www.Nubiansoaps.com retail, wholesale and naked for you to wrap and resell.

For sale: Lonesome Doe herd name with ADGA, .com, logo, Facebook page etc.... contact me for details.