Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Baby goat cant stand up!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
dixiedairy

Send a message via AIM to dixiedairy Send a message via MSN to dixiedairy
Default Baby goat cant stand up!!!

My baby Goat was born yesterday at 10:00 am. The birth was fine. But the baby still cant stand up. Her legs are like noodles. I have been taking her out to momma and holding her up so she can nurse every four hrs. I was just wondering if anyone had some advise to help her! Thanks

Jamie
LaMancha

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
MF-Alpines

Liked 257 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Default Re: Baby goat cant stand up!!!

Did you give her a shot of BoSe? 1/4cc.

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Anita Martin

Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do you know for sure she is getting enough to eat? Bo-se? Is she warm enough. If she can't stand up she probably does not have a good suck reflex either. If you are keeping her inside, why not just bottle feed her so you know how much she is eating? Did the mother get bo-se before kidding. Does your mineral have a good source of selenium?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Bernice

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Bernice

Was she your first kid of this year? A shot of BO-SE would certainly help. Are you giving her any milk at all or are you having her nurse off her dam? Here is what I do, now remember, what works for me may or may not work for you:

When we notice a kid born with difficulty getting up we usually give the Bo-SE (generally it's white muscle disease which causes that). Sometimes it's due to the kidding process itself and the pressure on the kid as it exits. Other times from a hard kidding so sometimes they need a day or two to straighten out.

We also bring the kid into the house, which you too have done. I feed colostrum through a pritchard nipple, some will take the standard black ones, depends. If that doesn't work I syringe down milk in small squirts at a time. Once they get the, "knack" of sucking, and it won't take long, they will start to eat more. Once they eat more they gain strength in those legs and can stand. I have had kids take up to 2 days before standing.

I hope this helps.

Bernice
Medway, Maine
French Alpines
A peaceful hippie in a disgruntled world! 
"Pardon me, but your goats have more manners!"

Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
dixiedairy

Thanks for all the advice. I am new to goats and this is the first kidding experice I have had. I havent heard of B0-SE But I am willing to try anything at this point. I have her in the house and I am bottle feeding now. I went and bought some colostrum and gave that to her and tried the coffee, dextrose, electrolytes mixture to try to boost her. She is spunky and got energy but just cant get those legs to do what she wants them to do. I have her in a sling contraption I have it hanging from the sling and got all four legs thru holes in a towle where her legs dangle down and barley touch the floor to try to make her put pressure on her legs. I have been puting pressure on her front legs to try to keep them from buckling under her, from her not using them. I took her to the vet today to take a look at her. She waighed 6.2 He said there is nothing broken and nothing felt out of place. He said that there is a good chance that she has a neuroilogical problem going on. But he said that not to give up hope that maybe she could be a little premature and to give her a week. If she's not walking then I should put her down. I do not want to believe that. Please help if there is anything I can do to get her to walk I would love to try it.

Jamie
LaMancha

Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
swgoats

Liked 352 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 486

A couple deficiencies can cause a newborn not able to rise - Selenium deficiency can be treatable with BoSe. Copper deficiency can also make them unable to walk, and it is untreatable in a young kid that can't rise because the spinal cord won't be formed right. (Got this info from a phone call with a vet at Washington State University.) Be advised both conditions can affect the heart. I think the vet's advice is sound but ask him for BoSe. It is worth a shot.

Angie (Angelia Mercer)
Still Waters Farm, Central Indiana
Miniature Nubians, Nubians
www.stillwatersfarm.blogspot.comFacebook !

Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Caprine Beings

Liked 193 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 173

BoSe and Vit E!

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
MRFBarbara

Bo-Se and vitamin E (every day) until better...

Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Caprine Beings

Liked 193 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 173

If this little one is early and it has developmental problems, you won't know enough without the Vit E and BoSe. Once you have given that and given it time to work we will want an update.
Tam

Lindsey and Tammy Long
Alpines, Nigerian Dwarf, and Nubians
E-mail: caprinebeings@live.com
Facebook page: Caprine Beings Dairy Goats
http://caprinebeingsdairygoat.webs.com/
South Eastern Washington

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
dixiedairy

Thank you so much for the help! How much of the BO-SE and Vit E should I start with?

Jamie
LaMancha