Dairy Goat Info Forum > General Category > Dairy Goat Info > Aggressive doe...keep or move on

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
D Bar J Acres

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Aggressive doe...keep or move on

I have a 5 y.o. mini mancha doe (82% LM, so quite large). I got her in early October. As soon as in with the herd (10 others, ND and MM) she was immediately herd queen. She is a VERY aggressive queen. She nails my mini aussie any chance she gets when he's out helping do chores (he has no herding instincts, doesn't bother the goats, but runs around like a goon), she's now gone to ramming our Bernese Mtn Dog (who's got the temperment of a kitten, and wouldn't hurt a fly, think...big and dumb). She will hit another doe hard, hit my smallest going to be FF ND extremely hard yesterday, and during feeding has to be tied up as she bites and grabs any other doe she can.

Only problem, she's got very nice conformation to work with and I love her personality towards people. She's actually let me take the herd on walks to the woods and fields, something I've never been able to do. Altho I'm thinking the other girls know the routine and may go on their own now.

Would you keep her and risk her breaking or aborting someone, or get her out to a bigger herd (she came from a 80 head herd), or another herd with bigger goats at least. I will keep her till she kids mid March as I really want her kids.

D Bar J Acres
Jenny Neuendorf
Raising quality AGS/ADGA Nigerian Dwarfs - little goats THAT milk - in Central Wisconsin

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Tracy in Idaho

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Re: Aggressive doe...keep or move on

Well I can tell you - I sold mine! She did great in another herd, but mine breathed a sigh of relief when she left! She caused several abortions here before I got rid of her....and she wore a ram shield until I sold her.

So no - I wouldn't keep her! Just my opinion

Soldier Mountain Alpines
http://soldiermountainalpines.com
Central Idaho

Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
MF-Alpines

Liked 257 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Get a doeling from her and move her on!

Cindy Plantz
Cassopolis, MI

Mulberry Farm
Alpine Dairy Goats

Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
D Bar J Acres

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Darn, was thinking that may be the best. Everyone else will be so happy tho. Except for the dog ramming, I think it's food related. She was thin when I got her and just really acts out around food. In the pasture she's fine, standing in the calf huts between the water tank and the barn she's fine, it's just around the hay and grain, which is where more damage is to happen from stories I've heard. Hopefully she give me a nice doeling.

D Bar J Acres
Jenny Neuendorf
Raising quality AGS/ADGA Nigerian Dwarfs - little goats THAT milk - in Central Wisconsin

Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
hsmomof4
DGI_MODERATOR.png

Liked 182 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I wouldn't have her around after she kids. My kids still talk about the "mean goats" even though I've gotten rid of them (and they weren't even terribly mean) and all of the remaining goats are extremely sweet.

Stacey Johnson
The Little Flower Farm
www.kansasgoatmilksoap.com
NE Kansas

un-Kinders and Nubians

Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Trysta

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I bet you she was very low ranked in her original herd. My herd is a bit 'all over the place' in age, breeds and size' and in my experience when you move a lowly goat that gets beaten up to another pen to protect her, and in that pen she's the larger/stronger doe, then instead of being happy and taking break that doe almost always turns around and becomes a big bully herself.

I've had that so many times! The latest one was a very, very small milking yearling that was brought here last May. She had no ranking in the milking group and was a bit on the skinny side when I dried her up at the end of her lactation, so I put her separate in a pen with two young, shy does. Figured she could use some rest and the young does were getting grain, while the 'just dry' group didn't. Instead of enjoying the pampering, she spent all her time scaring the young does senseless and beating them up!

Ugghh, they are so much like....like.....HUMANS!!!!

Marion

Marion Venema, East Leroy, MI
Saanen, LaMancha, Nubians

Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Trysta

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just read the post where it says the kids are still talking about the mean does. Funny, I have one doe, Coffee, who just headbutts every goat that comes close to her. It isn't a problem, believe me, because every doe I have has learned to stay clear of Coffee. She's 5 now and there's always open space around Coffee, but never a fight, she's just a loner, I guess. Anyway, my boys are true 'cow men' and think the goats are merely an item to keep their Mom sane, rather than a respectable business. So my younger son told me a while back: 'the only goat I like is Coffee'. I asked him why in the world he would like that goat and he says: 'because she hates goats, just like me!'
Marion

Marion Venema, East Leroy, MI
Saanen, LaMancha, Nubians

Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
smithurmonds

Liked 114 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 123

I sold an over-the-top mean doe like that. Like Christine said, what a relief when she was gone. After that experience, my opinion is that it's just not worth the stress.

ADGA LaManchas
Hand Crafted Goat Milk Soap
North Georgia
www.smithurmonds.com

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
nlhayesp

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with moving her on. It isn't worth the physical damage she can do to the others. A goat that butts the others away from her is a loner. But a goat that is agressive in seeking and destroying will always be a danger to the others. Get rid of her asap.

Nancy: alpines,nubians, and boers, along with dorper, katahadin, and Royal White sheep, and two English Shephed dogs in Central Ohio

Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
hmcintosh

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

I sold a very mouthy bullying alpine goat that I had. My herd is so much more peaceful now. I think you will be glad you did.

Heather McIntosh North Alabama
Raising Nubians
Roll TIde!

www.bigmfarms.weebly.com